The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » IT work (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I just take the putty. Spread it out flat and add a couple drops of the makeup to it. Then I just fold and twist the putty to mix the makeup in. Experiment with how much you want to use. Don't use to much though or the putty will get kind of oily.

You can also use the powder type makeup for this. This is a little better because it won't get oily. But, to much of this can make it kind of dry and loose some of it's tackiness. So with either kind of makeup use it sparingly. Start with a little then keep adding until it's how you want it.

To make it black I flatten it out on a sheet of paper and color with a marker. Fold and twist it up. It'll first turn a light gray. Then repeat the entire process until it's really dark. Your fingers will get a little dirty so you may want to wear gloves if that bothers you. The ink washes off your hands pretty easily though.

Here's another putty tip. Take a very small piece of tissue paper and work that into the putty. This will prevent the thread from cutting through. So the putty will have more of a solid core in it that the thread will wrap around.

Let me know if that answers your question.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Bill Beach
View Profile
Veteran user
Nashville, TN
304 Posts

Profile of Bill Beach
That's what I was looking for. Thanks, Ron.

Bill Beach
Ohio USA
Dark
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Dark
Ah thanks Jaxon, you answered my question before I even asked. Smile I "borrowed" some of my girlfriend's foundation (hope she doesn't find out) and found that it makes the putty kinda soft. I guess I'm putting too much... must wait till the right moment Smile to try again.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Well, when she runs out of the makeup just hand her a ball of putty.. Smile

Seriously though. I just realized that there is something on that that I forgot to mention. I have come across some makeup that wouldn't work to well. It was to oily so I couldn't get it the right color without getting to soft. So that's something you might want to think about.

The powder does work better for this. It takes a little more time because you have to put powder on it, mix it in then keep adding more. The outcome is better though. I don't know to much about makeup so you might need to experiment.

I'm glad this came up though. I'll do some research so I'll have more detail on it in for my book.

Speaking of that. The best thing I can do when making this book is to find out what most need to know. So if there are any particular aspects of thread work you need advice or tips on, please let me know. Either here, in Email or on my I.T. Board. Maybe it'll be on an issue I can cover that I hadn't thought about yet.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Dark
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Dark
Thanks again jaxon, let me know when your book comes out, I'm interested in getting it. Smile
Nikos
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of Nikos
"I also use it to make a coin visibly float from one hand to the other. Adding a visual, or slow motion phase to a coins across."
What a great idea Jaxon...I just signed up with your site...very nice it is too!!
I am thinking of adding the floating of the coin at the end of the routine...by saying something along the lines I'll show you "the move" in slow motion.
Timotheous
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Timotheous
Hi Nikos....

Have we met on magic talk?

To all... Jaxon is the thread king...

He's great... Smile

Nikos... I agree the slow levitation of the last coin is strong... This will be an awesome effect.. with whatever method you choose to 'move it' ... Smile

Many magicians fear theadwork... Smile good for us... the laymen absolutly love it.. Smile

I too am awaiting Jaxon's book... and I know that a good thing is worth the wait. And I'm sure that this book will be well worth any price he puts on it.... hmmm as long as it's less than a grand.... hehehe

Later

Tim
Check out my first release!
"Timotheous Paradox"
http://www.cardmsg.com/magicfxshop/timotheous-paradox.htm
"Magic is real! We performers use tools to tap the magic that's within all of us" -Timotheous
Clayman
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
243 Posts

Profile of Clayman
Ron Jaxon is a very dedicated and gifted Magician. He is willing to share his imagination with others as well as answer any questions one might have concerning Magic in general. For those who are unfamiliar with Ron, you may want to do yourself a favor and go to his newly developed site and forum, to sign up. He has a special section for tricks and effects that cost a small fee, but one trick alone is 10 x the value of what he charges. He has a new effect that is his creation called "Wrapped" and It is a reputation maker. I am thoroughly appreciative for all the tips and handlings he has gave me. I am just sharing this resource with you guys, cause I know it is well worth it.

Here's is the link :

http://jaxonmagic.com
"A flash of silvery light ..and it was gone."
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Man Oh Man! I've been pretty busy working on my site lately, and I haven't had much time to visit this board. Thanks so much for the kind words guys!

I gotta tell you. With all the books and DVD's that have hit the market over the past couple of years, I sometimes wonder if I should continue to work on the book. I wonder if I'd have anything to offer that those books and videos haven't already gone over. I visit here, and I get the feeling that I should keep working on it. I hope I can live up to these expectations.
My focus is different than most sources out there on IT work, though. While many of them are great, informative and contain some originality, most of them are focused on showing the reader how to do various tricks with IT. They also go over some limitations and strengths.
What I'm hoping to share is how to work with IT. Not just how to do tricks with it. It's my hope that after reading the book, the reader will have the knowledge, technique and confidence to use IT whenever it is the best solution to the illusion they want to create. So, when you dream up a trick or routine, It will be one of the methods you'll consider and decide if it is the best solution. When it is the best solution, I want you to be able to know how to use IT to make it happen.
It took some good magician friends to convince me of my different approach to using IT. So I'm still working on it. A lot of ground is going to be covered so like I've said. It's gonna take some time.
It's kind of funny and kind of annoying. Whenever I feel a chapter is finished, I think of something else to add. This usually takes some rewriting.. Smile

Well, thanks again everyone. If you have any more IT questions feel free to ask. If I can help, I will and questions alone are helpful to me. It lets me know what other things I should go over in the book. Shoot, I just set myself more work.. Smile

Ron Jaxon

Angus
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Angus
I was one of those who had no interest in threadwork until I actually took the time to stop at a Houdini's magic shop and saw the UFO gag. That got me started and I've found a lot of things that can be done with it.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I just thought you all might like to know what I just added to my JaxonMagic Notes section of the board.
As some of you may know, I'm working on a book on IT work. What I just added to the JaxonMagic notes is something called Invisible Thread book sneak peak.
What you'll find in this "sneak peak" is some of the chapters that'll be gone over in the book.
I just added this to the notes today and there's already a lot of information on thread work covered. Although it only scratches the surface of what the finished book will go over.
Here are the things that you'd find in this Sneak peak so far:

• Introduction
    A short introduction to the book. A little about what you'll find in it and why I'm writing this book in the first place
  • IT Accessories
    I'll go over some of the basic accessories you'd need to do thread work such as wax, putty and other props and objects.
  • How to find IT
    In this section, you'll learn how to discover your own invisible thread as well as find ones that are already known. I explain how you can tell if a thread might work as invisible thread before you even buy it from a fabric store.
    I'll also go over some of the threads that are already used by magicians (Such as kevlar, W. nylon, My Jaxon Thread and others). Where you can get it and their strengths and weakness's.
    I've shown this section to some pretty known magicians and they feel this section alone would be worth the price of a book.
  • Stripping Thread
    In here you'll find out how to strip various kinds of IT and some tips that'll make the process much easier.
  • Getting to know your thread.
    In here I talk about what's possibly the most important thing you'd need to learn in order to be successful with thread work. the better you know the thread you're using the more success you'll have with it. You'll have more control and it'll break less often. In here's I'll share some ways to help you "get to know your thread".

All this is in there already and I just started this addition to the notes today. More will be added over time and remember, so far over 14 tricks are in the notes as well.

I just thought some of you might be interested in this. If you have any questions feel free to ask me or anyone who is already a member of the JaxonMagic Notes. I'm sure they'll give you an honest review (There is a review of the notes in the "The Good, the bad and the garbage" section of this board if you want to take a look).

The board with the JaxonMagic notes is at:
jaxonmagic.com/magicboard

Ron Jaxon

I just added something else to the "sneak Peak" section of the notes.
I teach how to do the floating dollar bill. In this, I go into great detail on all aspects of the trick. A lot of information in this post alone.

Already, there is a good half hour read of information on thread work. So some of you who are interested in IT work would find this information useful.

Ron Jaxon

dmk_kirkland
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of dmk_kirkland
Jaxon, This is some great information you've put togther. I really appreciate your website and the effort you've put in to making this kind of information available.
Cheers,
David
Gambit242
View Profile
New user
Monroe, La
68 Posts

Profile of Gambit242
Jaxon,

Thanks for sharing that MOST HELPFUL info!!!

Good luck with the book,

Gambit242
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
Should I do IT tricks Close-up?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Man, Jaxon's site is awesome! Unfortunately, it wont let me register! I click on the "13 or over" tab, and immediately get an "error" message. Oh well, still had a ball surfing the message board!

Dbzkid999 wanted to know if close-up work is advisable...that depends on the lighting. 40 watt lamp off to one side about ten feet away, and the right angle with "busy" clothing pattern, and it's impossible to see. Dark blue works better for me than black, but that's just a personal preference.

Flourescent lights are a no-no. I got busted in a classroom once, in front of several people, and it was quite embarrassing. Smile I've since never performed in broad daylight, or natural light of any kind. One thing, too, is not to "lower" the lights before the effect, as that tips people off that something tricky's going on.

If your clothing is "busy" enough, the straight-on angle works great if your right up close, but I don't like to push it...it's too good.

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » IT work (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL