The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Dealing with a lack of experience when getting started (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
I was sure this would have been addressed somewhere, but my searching was not very successful.

How do/did you deal with a lack of experience when you first started booking shows?
There is a lot out there on how various resume formats can enhance certain areas while downplaying others. For example, lack of education, job hopping, etc. Not so easy in this particular case, I think.

Speaking about myself, I can honestly say that I have performed stage-type magic for crowds up to about 40 people for almost two years. Also, that I have done walk-around-type magic in a corporate setting for approximately the same length of time.

Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable using that language because what that does not say is that I was doing magic for my adult students to illustrate point of a lesson, or that I was doing walk around type effects for friends and coworkers at our own corporate functions.

I'm not looking for advice on how to get the experience, but rather how you fill in, explain, address, etc., those gaps.

Any thoughts?
Best,
Jim
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Jim,

When one starts out in magic, it is usually at the bottom of the career ladder, doing local shows for private parties, civic groups, school functions, libraries, etc.

I don't think you need to worry about how to explain "gaps" because that question will rarely come up when you are negotiating a show at that level. A prospect may ask whether you have ever had any experience with their type of audience, but it rarely goes beyond "children or adults."

As you move up the career ladder and your fees start to rise, you may get asked the question regarding your experience more frequently. For example, I am often asked if I have had any experience presenting for a particular industry.

The best course of action is to simply answer honestly. Even if you have not worked in a particular industry or for a particular type of audience, you can still sell the prospect on what you have done and why you think you can handle their event. Perhaps you have worked for similar audiences or in related industries.

Jeannie Robertson is a top humorist who handles it this way... When a prospect asks whether she can speak on leadership, for example, Jeannie will answer that she does not have a specific program on leadership, but that a sense of humor is an important quality for leaders, and she can speak on developing a sense of humor. That's usually sufficient. See what I mean? If all else fails, fall back on the universal appeals in your act.

Lack of experience does not have to be a "deal breaker". In fact, you could turn it into an advantage, stressing the novel nature of what you can do for their group. After all, no one has seen you yet at an event like theirs!

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
...I have performed stage-type magic for crowds up to about 40 people for almost two years. Also, that I have done walk-around-type magic in a corporate setting for approximately the same length of time.

Uh...excuse, please? You were doing it, but you weren't REALLY doing it?

Pal, you were doing it!

True, you haven't a list of paying clients to use as references, so what you need is the polish and confidence performance (paying or not) can give you. That way, you'll have a few more references than you had, the confidence to appear like someone who has the skill it takes to do the job, and a few things to show (with confidence, of course) to back up your claims.

This is where your previous "free" experience, plus some more like it, can help. Go volunteer at some nursing homes (try to choose "independent living" facilities where the audiences will do more than drool into their mush while you stroll around) - maybe other venues of that sort, fairs, or libraries, or scout troops, or whatever.

Then, when you pitch paying shows, you can talk about what you've done. But NEVER volunteer, "Of course, these shows were all free. You'll be my first paying client." Don't lie, if asked, but don't shoot yourself in the foot either.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Jim,

Funny you should be the first to reply, as I am in the process of convincing the finance minister that your course would be a good and wise purchase. Smile

Thanks, Ross. I guess we were typing at the same time. Always interested in hearing your perspective, since we are from the same general area.

Best,
Jim
Kellar
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Kellar
Jim,
Congratulations. It takes a lot of effort to create a polished presentation and performing persona. You mentioned in your first post that you have worked for groups of 40 people in a stage-type setting, as well as walk-around close-up magic. I am mot quite sure what type or style of magic you would like to share with future clients. Would you mind sharing your style with us? Knowing your persona will really help know who your target audience is and the shows you are looking to book. There have been some great suggestions in regard to venues, but you have to have the right offer for the right group at the right time. I really look forward to this discussion. Let's see where it goes.

David
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
In the beginning, you fill in the gaps with enthusiasm; and after years, you cover the gaps effortlessly and instinctively. So the conclusion is, we all need a place to be bad when we start.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
David (Kellar),

I would like to think that my presentation and performing persona are polished, but we'll see just how true that is on March 17th, when I do my first show (6yo B-day party) outside of what I have mentioned above.

In a nutshell, my style would have to be eclectic. I have a style and a complete (in theory) persona that I am working on for kids' shows, and a different style for adult and restaurant type shows. I have a long, rambling post that goes into more detail here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......41&0

Al,

Enthusiasm morphing to instinct, tempered by initial sucking. Smile Got it. Smile

Best,
Jim
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Jim,
First show, WOW. I suggest you put a 8 1/2 X 11" cheat-sheet in front of you to remind you of what order you want to perform your tricks, and print big because, when you are standing in front of a crowd, you will experience a jumbo adrenaline rush, your mind will be working at warp speed, and you will need a point of reference.

Stand still, look 'em in the eyes, try not to move, and talk at the same time. When I started, I also used a stop-watch to time myself.

When you start, take a deep breath and be sure to SMILE. On stage you will remember none of this, so try to HAVE FUN.

NEVER let them see you sweat; fear is a very bad thing.
BREAK A LEG
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Yeah, first one.

I talk a bit about it here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=17

This show is not the full-up "Jungle Jim's Magical Safari" that I am working up to, but I've been working on the material in it for a while.

Thankfully, this show will be for a pretty friendly crowd.

Thanks,
Jim
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Jim, my advice is this...

As Jim stated, you don´t have to worry right away, but when it is an issue, you focus on your CLIENT and their needs.
Sales is about your client, not so much about you. Fill THEIR needs, find out what they are, focus on those needs and how it is you can fill those needs. It takes the focus off of inexperience (for lack of a better term).

If you keep them satisfied, they never question your experience. At first, you may indeed lose jobs for a lack of experience. NEVER, under any circumstances, should you lie about experience. It sets up failure in a huge way.

Good luck.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
I agree with Al about having a sheet of paper that outlines your show. I use one for every show I do, and even though I hardly need to refer to it anymore, it is nice to have it there in case I do lose track.
Best of luck,
Jeff
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Dealing with a lack of experience when getting started (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL