The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Zoran's Horror Cutter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
I think this is one of the most misused, yet brilliant effects that's come out in a long time. It works very well as a stage effect, you just have to think about color contrasts. Against what color will red show up best? White, my friend, white. Wear it! Sit on it! Clean up with it! Visit the bizarre forum above for some more thoughts.

As for it breaking after three performances and cleanings, remind me not to lend you my tools! Smile Seriously though, yes you need to treat it delicately, though that's true of most things. No idea what the deal with replacement blades is or will be. However, I've been using mine a lot, and it's still going strong. It's not a brick. It's not indestructable, but if you treat it right, it will return the favor (there I go anthropomorphizing again).

Raven
What would Wavy do?
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
Mark, last night I used it in a show for 16 year olds to adults. It was the closer. I warned anyone with a weak stomach or tendancy to pass out or have nightmares to leave the room (I actually was building it up for the whole show). I then set out a white hospital sheet, sat cross legged, and began talking about shamen, priests and preistesses, and medicine men of ancient and present day tribes. About how they used trance-like states to put their minds in a place where pain wasn't real anymore. About how they used these demonstrations to prover their power over the body and mind. I pulled out a first-aid kit and pulled out some gauze and alcohol wipes (had to be sanitary about it). I then spent a little time deep breathing and "entering my trance". Used the real knife to cut open the guaze packet and then put it back in the kit to make the switch. (Also, when I took out another guaze sheet, I was ready to go for "fleshwound" if you are familiar). I began by cutting my arm as per fleshwound and then going right to the finger. Blood was dripping all over the white sheet and showed up great! Then, in a sorta crying type voice began repeating "I can feel it, I can feel it..." after removing the knife from the finger I ditched it in the kit and pulled back my skin with the fleshwound gimmick. Gave everyone a few beats to see what was going on and then used the guaze to clean up the gimmick, and immediately wrapped my arm with guaze and cling and left it. Then I said something to the effect that real medicine men were the ones who could self-heal, then wiped the blood off my finger to show it back to normal.

It was great. At the conclusion to the effect, I ended the show ("My body now needs rest, and with this I shall leave you tonight..." or something like that). About 5 seconds later a guy (20 year old) passed out--hit the floor with a "thump". I jumped into EMT mode (that's my real job) and went to help him. He woke right up and was fine, and once I knew he was fine I couldn't help but have this little bit of satisfaction that I made that much of an impact. Everyone loved the show and how deep it was. Just wanted to thank you for the ideas! -J.R.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Nice! That's what I'm talking about. It's always a good time when someone faints! Smile
What would Wavy do?
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
My blade is starting to look a bit rough. I try to clean it and keep it dry as best I can, but there have been times that I haven't been able to get to it right away. There are some corrosion spots on the gimmicked blade--the normal one looks fine--I even thought about trying to add corrosion marks to the normal blade so the switch looks ok. Has anyone been able to track down replacement blades? The gimmicked blade really is fragile and it's only a matter of time till I break it. I have no intention of spending that much on it again, so I hope replacement blades become available. -J.R.
sabitu
View Profile
Special user
USA
533 Posts

Profile of sabitu
If you're gimmick blade has some rust spots try using a product called "Bar Keeper's Friend." You can find it at Kroger, Walmart, etc. It's a powdered cleaning product that is used to remove rust and corrosion off of metal. I have used it to clean my dime and penny set as well as my Holy Moly washers. I haven't used to clean the Horror Cutter blade but I would assume it should work just fine.

Matt
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
I tried using steel wool to clean my blade and it didn't work. I then tried a very fine grit sandpaper and it worked, but scratched the blade a bit. I started making my own replacement blades that are as good as the originals, but a pain in the a** to make, if anyone is interested in one PM me.
JonWhite
View Profile
Loyal user
London
284 Posts

Profile of JonWhite
Just checking...

Do you still get both a gaffed and non-gaffed cutter? The ad doesn't seem to make any mention.

Also is Stevens still the only supplier - none in the UK?

Thanks,
Jon.
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
I bought mine from a local brick and mortar, but he apparently got a few from Stevens at a convention. Mine came with both a gaffed and un-gaffed knife.
Chaimelya
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Chaimelya
Anybody know where you can get refill's of the original blood that comes with the knife I'v tryed many other blood's but non give the same affect
N McQuade
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of N McQuade
Can anyone let me know where I can purchase the rubber bulb. Mine has perished through constant use and I cannot find any source in the UK.

I personally use the knife while performing a finger chopper routine, the spectator has their finger in the finger chopper and I explain that a surgeon suggested I use a wooden bladed chopper, "It is easier to stitch a finger with a rough cut", look I'll show you!. I then pull out the knife and cut the spectators finger with it. They cannot move because their finger is in the chopper!. As part of the whole routine it gets a great reaction.....but you do have to be careful who you do it with.
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
I know this is an old thread but I'd like to bring it back for Halloween. It's a shame that the blade is not made of stainless steel. For how much this trick cost it should have. I'd like to get one and maybe spay the blade with some kind of finish to stop it from rusting. Has anyone found a way to stop it from rusting ?
Thanks
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
I know this is an old thread but I'd like to bring it back for Halloween. It's a shame that the blade is not made of stainless steel. For how much this trick cost it should have. I'd like to get one and maybe spay the blade with some kind of finish to stop it from rusting. Has anyone found a way to stop it from rusting ?
Thanks
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Thanks
James D. Miles
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Maybe if you had some good metallic paint...maybe rustoleum?
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2137 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Never had a rust problem. Just remember to wipe it down after use and keep it dry.

Best "knife through" illusion I've ever seen.
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Thanks gabelson, I just ordered one yesterday. I'm allergic to tetanus shots, so putting anything rusty near my skin is a bad idea.
James D. Miles
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Thanks gabelson, I just ordered one yesterday. I'm allergic to tetanus shots, so putting anything rusty near my skin is a bad idea.
James D. Miles
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Came today, and I was happy to see an extra gimmick blade was included.
James D. Miles
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Came today, and I was happy to see an extra gimmick blade was included.
James D. Miles
Jed Maxwell
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Jed Maxwell
Where can I buy this? Vikings is sold out. Can't find it anywhere else. Tempted to try make this myself. Plastic pipette bulb full of blood and a blade that goes sharp to dull to recessed?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Zoran's Horror Cutter (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL