The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Blackpool Magic Convention...Results. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chubby Harris
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Chubby Harris
Here are the results of the Blackpool competitions.

European Magical Close-up Championships
1. Jerome Burgeon
2. Olmac
3. Mark Shortland

United Kingdom Children's Entertainer of the Year
1. Michael J. Fitch

British Magic Stage Championships
Junior - Joe Ray
Illusion Atmosfear
Comedy - Alec Powell
General & Grand Prix Champion - Keylan Leyser
"Believe in the Magic of your dreams"
Shakey
View Profile
Veteran user
In over 4 million i've made
360 Posts

Profile of Shakey
Saw the Close Up - but who agreed with this result?
juan king
View Profile
Regular user
Spanish
171 Posts

Profile of juan king
I agreed. Next year I have asked if I can be judging. Fingers being crossed!
Think not what magic can do for you, but what you can do for magic.
Michael T
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of Michael T
These results were originally posted on magicbunny by the member Insider.
tanselkaya
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of tanselkaya
I saw the British Magic Stage Championships. The general magic award is fair enough. It was a very good show. I don't know if it deserves the Grand Prix though.
sleight king
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of sleight king
The close up result was a complete joke. james brown no place???????
the stage competition was ok but when derek said to that guy that he should lose weight I thought it was a bit wrong.
never stopped many people!!!!
itsupyoursleeve
View Profile
New user
Ingleton, UK
64 Posts

Profile of itsupyoursleeve
I agree with you sleight king. Derek was out of order saying that in his comments. He could have pulled him to one side instead of embarrassing the poor lad in front of everyone. One other thing that annoyed me was the fact that one of the judges (i cant recall which) pulled an act up for being too short for a competition act, yet when Alec Powell when went on for what seemed to be nearly 25-30 mins they didn't say anything. How that act got the fantastic comments it did I'll never know cos as far as I could see around me not many people including myself thought it was very funny at all.
At first I thought the 'X' factor judging idea would work but it soon became too much when there were so many acts. They definately need to cut the number of acts down in the competition especially if they are to continue with the idea.
Tivoli
View Profile
Loyal user
Paris (France)
252 Posts

Profile of Tivoli
So for you which act did you enjoy the one from Jerome or the one from Olmac?
regards
arthur
Arthur Tivoli
Fantaisiste-Magicien
www.arthurtivoli.com
Mystifier
View Profile
New user
Burton-on-Trent, UK
6 Posts

Profile of Mystifier
I don't generally use the Café because it seems WAY too spread out; however, since I was a judge in the Blackpool Close-up and not entirely in agreement with the result, I would like to add my two-penneth...

I have to admit that I didn’t get a single place right! My order was 1. Olmac 2. Jerome Burgeon (practically equal) 3. James Brown (practically equal with Mark Shortland)

On all judging sheets, Olmac and Jerome were VERY close with only a couple of points separating them out of a possible 300. Mark Shortland and James Brown were also very close in second and third, James taking higher technical marks, Mark taking higher entertainment/showmanship marks. Fifth place was a long way lower.

Coming back to the main result, whilst a lot of what Olmac did got wows from the crowd watching the big screen, a lot of what he did from a judges perspective was completely out of angle. The floating coin across for example, from our position looked like the ‘Gazzo gag’ with a card stuck on the end of a wand under his arm. The comment from Domenico was that he could not judge based on what he thought he was supposed to see, but on what he actually saw. In a competition, everything needs to be geared for the judges because no-one else has any points to give! I was more inclined to give him the benefit given that all close-up competition conditions are impossible and think that Olmac has the potential to be a headliner because he has the ‘complete package’.

I was already very familiar with Jerome and Olmac anyway and know that much of what Olmac did is both cutting edge and original technique but he has never really had a structured act; his closest actually was the card in CD section that he did last time that could have been expanded upon and is the reason he was given a second chance/invitation.

Jerome was not completely original with the idea of doing four cups and balls in a square formation to take advantage of some of the matrix/chink-a-chink/reverse matrix plotlines but it was well constructed, designed for competition and will do well on the circuit. This win will bring in a number of conventions for him. Actually having an act rather than a series of disjointed tricks will always have high value.
Tivoli
View Profile
Loyal user
Paris (France)
252 Posts

Profile of Tivoli
Thanks for the details and for you judgment
regards
arthur
Arthur Tivoli
Fantaisiste-Magicien
www.arthurtivoli.com
Dizzy
View Profile
Elite user
UK
437 Posts

Profile of Dizzy
Olmac is a very good friend of mine so maybe I'm a little bit biased in thinking that he should have won. I also love James, I've met him at quite a few conventions and I was disappointed that he didn't get placed.
Olmac decided to change his act 3 days before the convention, he told me that it was his coin work which let him down. However, this guy will be the hottest thing in magic in a few years time,

Diane
Boo Hat
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Boo Hat
Quote:
On 2007-02-28 09:40, Mystifier wrote:
In a competition, everything needs to be geared for the judges because no-one else has any points to give!

Might be a good idea to put the judges in a position where they see what the bulk of the audience does then, surely?
Shakey
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of Shakey
I watched the comp. in one of the smaller rooms - it was a lot more informal. I understand OLMAC did a different routine in front of the judges - why?. He was without doubt the best on the day (or night). As for the winner, sorry but from where I was sat (front seat) I saw every steal and move (apart from the appearance of the 4th cup which caught me). I would have placed him 4 -sorry.
John FIKS
View Profile
New user
Paris / France
1 Post

Profile of John FIKS
Sorry but I'm finally agree with this results...
The only thing I change is for James Brown... .
So for me :
1. Jerome Burgeon (he has really a very good new vision about cups... His perform is fabulous !)
2. Olmac (of course, with less originality than Jerome but extremely cleaver !)
3. James Brown (in fact... I realy enjoy his set...)

In despite of differents points of view... The jury has given his results... final point ! We can be agree with or not... But so goes the life...
best regards...
All that a man can imagine, another man will be able to realize it... (J. Verne)
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
I'm so pleased that Alec Powell has won something! He should have won the stage comp two years ago - he was clearly the best but some very suspicious judging took it away from him!
Shakey
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of Shakey
One of the group who I went to Blackpool with was the partner of a Magician - she isn't (and has no desire to be), rather interestingly she suggested that at least one judge should be a lay audience - your views?
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
It could have been better; I really didn't like Derek's comments about the kid being overweight. Totally out of order and I think the crowed made that clear.
Sooty
View Profile
Regular user
London, England
140 Posts

Profile of Sooty
Quote:
On 2007-02-26 17:17, Steel wrote:
These results were originally posted on magicbunny by the member Insider.

It is being the same person using two names.

He has now been caught out. Well done Steel. You should be a private detective instead of a magican. I bet Chubby Harris is now being very embarrased.
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
What was Steve Delas act like? I've seen him perform some phenomenol stuff when on form. One of the most technically profficent magicians out there with a good head for exciting ideas.
mitchmagi
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of mitchmagi
The post you replied to is from 2007 !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Blackpool Magic Convention...Results. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL