The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Straight jacket questions... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I have a few questions for those with more experience then I in straight jackets. I use a Humane standard jacket (non gimmicked as god intended)

- Is it possible for a man of average fitness to remove his arms from the arm holes whilst still wearing the UNgimmicked jacket?

- I notice many people with real jackets gaffed the crotch strap to help escape. Is this normal?

- Do audience's care which hole the pin is in for the arm strap? I've notice some performers get it to the last hole. I have big shoulders and I can only escape from the third hole!

- Is there any patter, pyschology or tips for avoiding people looping the arm strap through the back strap in order to stuff me up!
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Wow! What a response!

I've reached a point where I can do TWO of the following.

Crossed Arms
Ungimmicked Jacket
Crotch Strap

But not all three!

If I have crossed arms in the ungimmicked jacket...the crotch strap ruins it.

If my arms are UNcrossed, I can escape.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I do all three. It took me a while. I guess I never knew any better. I've never had a gaffed jacket.

It was a very big help to me to get Jay Leslie's video. There are some excellent pointers there. The other thing that I learned the hard way, and from being coached in person by Ses Carny and Harley Newman, was to get a jacket that was big enough. It fits me, but not like it's a wet T-shirt contest.

I don't know where the average escape artist falls on the average fitness scale.

This is about as far as I can go on a public forum. Get the Jay Leslie video.

Yours,

Paul
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Thanks Paul,

You always seem to know the answers!
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I stand on the shoulders of giants. At my height, that's rather necessary.

Yours,

Paul
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I stand on the glass of giants.

You really have helped me a lot paul. Your thoughts on glass were instrumental in the success of my stage show.

I even mentioned you by name in the acknowledgements!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Straight jacket questions... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL