The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Whats with these guys (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
557 Posts

Profile of debaser
This is in a response to a post of
"who are your role models"

I would love to ask who are the magicians you would least like to be like, but I know that would be totally inappropriate.

So I guess my real question is:

What's the deal with magicians at conventions/meetings who think they are the end all, be all and choose to use that as a basis for snubbing anyone else.

So I'm going to turn this around on a more positive note (more appropriate for the forum) and say who I think are some of the nicest and most giving magicians I have met:

Eugene Burger
Mike Caveney
Daryl
to name a few

I hope there are others who would like to comment on either or both sides of this post

Thanks,

Matt
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Met Kevin James in LA and you can add him to your list.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Fantasio, Shoot Ogawa, Woody Pittman, Bob Kohler, and Paul Wilson are just about the nicest guys in magic I've ever met. All of them are willing to help you out and are fun guys to be around.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Timothy
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama, USA
174 Posts

Profile of Timothy
Magicians can be a strange breed. We love to help our fellow bretheren, but only if we don't give too much of our secrets away. For that, you sell a book, or hold a lecture. Sometimes the ideas are original, sometimes not.

I have most respect for "in the trenches" magicians that have worked with the public, and been in many situations. Smile
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
It happens in every art form and also in sports. There are very nice and approachable people and there are those that think people should bow in their presence.
ME
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
571 Posts

Profile of KC
Ray Kosby was really nice when I met him.
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Jim Pace. I'm not sure I have ever met a more approuchable person. I've met some that fit the "God's Gift" category also.
He who laughs, lasts.
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
Bob Sheets and Jay sankey were not only incredibly friendly but also some of the funniest and helpful guys. Rocco was a lot of fun, though i am biased because he was handing out D-lites by the bagful.

Mat
Mr A
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Mr A
At one of his lectures Jeff McBride went the extra mile and helped me out after the paid class, then met with us at the hotel. For that he goes down as one of my favorite "people"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
debaser,

It is difficult to know what another person is thinking. Even if you ask they may not (be able to) tell you.

Some insecure people come off as arrogant. Some are just very reserved. Most who know their own abilities are confident enough to be open. Sol Stone, Ken Krenzel,Howie Schwartzman, Bro John Hammon, Bob Kohler, Jay Sankey and John Cornelius all seemed quite open at conventions back in 78 and 87.

My guess is that those who truly love the craft and invent their own material may be a bit protective of their own work though probably open to discussion of published works.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
stevehw
View Profile
Veteran user
Collinsville, Mississippi
303 Posts

Profile of stevehw
For me it is the late Johnny Paul.

Steve
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
557 Posts

Profile of debaser
JonTown

I have no problem with people being protective of secrets.

What im talking about is so many magicians who take on this persona that they are simply above everyone else.

It happens everywhere in life but i think at conventions it is a place for these people to really lay it on. Since in the real world nobody cares.

Its actually not alot of people just a handful at every convention.

And yes almost 90% of the time it is never the magicians with real talent.

I have just heard some real horror stories from people at conventions.

Matt
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
The ones I have met have been great. These include Anthony Owen, David Williamson, David Blaine etc. I worked with Mr Williamson for two days and he was very friendly and gave me tips on everything from Rocky Racoon to audience control, nice guy.
The only one who is a bit funny is Jerry Sadowitz, sometimes he is really nice to me other times he is plain rude. But he is a genius so I forgive him. Smile
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
Cardsleight
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Cardsleight
I have to say Bobby Bernard. He always is polite and helps you with anything he can, from the double lift ,to the pass, to misdirection. Always ready to help any young magician who walks through the door (of International Magic).
Speaking of International, Everyone at International is so nice, there are truly the nicest people I have ever met, I have to single out Martin, although he is the owner of the magic shop and not a performer, he has an outstanding knowledge of magic and always gives the best advice on what books to buy et. Words cannot describe how nice these people are.

John.
Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
I met Dean Dill at the World Magic Seminar and he is very nice and generous.

Denny, of Denny and Lee, was very kind to me as well and talked with me for a while.

That just names a few..
jlareau
View Profile
Loyal user
Henrietta NY / Chicago Ill
220 Posts

Profile of jlareau
I would say Eugene Burger definately has my vote. When I was a kid he used to come every once and a while to a magic club that I belonged to. Taught me a TON.

jlarau
:bluebikes:
Jonathan Lareau A.K.A "Jonny Card Trick"
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

Feel free to check out my website www.jonlareau.com
Steve Hoffman
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of Steve Hoffman
Jeff McBride - a great talent, a creative genius, and he does so much to provide instruction in all aspects of the magic craft through his master class, magic school, etc.... and he presents magic to audiences in a very positive way on so many levels . . .

Steve Hoffman Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Whats with these guys (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL