The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » My coins across (video) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1569 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Here is my current coins across routine. The last coins sucks I know. Let me know what you guys think

http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=10877
Will Gordon
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
124 Posts

Profile of Will Gordon
No bad at all Bobby! David Roth is a great mentor to follow.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Might want to thank Geoff Latta for that toss across bit.

This is also close to Homer's "COINONE" item
...to all the coins I've dropped here
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Not bad handling but using a gimmick does not do it for me,,,,
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Marc01
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Marc01
It's very similar to Roger Klause's Triple Play (in his book)
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I thought you did a fine job Bobby! I don't know. I don't think the last coin was all that bad. Personally I think I would have slowed the routine down some, it takes a while for the moves to sink in to the old brain. I do a similar coins across, but a lot slower, of course I am using some patter in between. For a routine like that I believe the patter is very useful. I still think you did a good job, keep up the good work.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Just curious vinny, why anti gimmick
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I liked it. A bit speedy (perhaps even a little confusing to keep up with at times), but the moves were nice. With command like that of the sleights, I bet you can do this just as good without any added ingredients...Smile Lots of people do. Smile But pretty good. -MB
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Hi josh gimicks,,, I guess it is just me .. when I was a kid ,if I lost or broke a gimmick the trick was over......... So I learned to compensate doing tricks that did not need a gimmick...... this has stayed with me my whole life,,
I rarely do a effect that uses a gimmick . the only gimmick I carry with me is is a copper silver coin, I made sure I have at leat 10 because I loose themn all the time lol

vinny

ps
it is more magical for me if I can do a coins across without a gimmick even if the spectator is unaware of a gimmick
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I like that way of thinking Vinny, without the gimmick it is more of a "self" accomplishment and all you need are the coins themselves.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Have a look at the trick from audience perspective.
Look at the awkward and unmotivated fussing.
Work on removing actions where they are not appropriate.
And work on motivating the actions you can't eliminate.
Do you have a presentation for this trick?

Nobody cares how YOU feel about the method.
Nobody is supposed to have a clue about the method.
Get over yourself and out to where the audience lives.
Say hi and offer them some magic.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

That's a interesting view vinny. I understand what you mean I think. however, is it worth ruling out something that enhances effect to audience, to enhance the effect for yourself. not trying to argue or anything just food for thought. personally I love [. no matter how good you are its hard to beat the utility vanish, production it allows that cleanly. even tho more sleightly methods may be used through out the routine, using such clean devices will throw anyone that is suspect off. and I love that
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

I was thinking about this earlier, and my line of thought was as magicians we have 3 tools. slight of hand, misdirection, gimmicks. now might there be more, probably but on a basic level I think those are the main three. I asked myself why use less tools when I have available to me... whats the benefit. I'm not saying you should use all 3 all the time. what I'm getting at is when performing a effect, we should think of the best tools for the job, in the most efficient manner, not the best tools that provide maximum self gratification. just something to think about I suppose
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-03-07 10:20, Joshua Barrett wrote:...when performing a effect, we should think of the best tools for the job, in the most efficient manner, not the best tools that provide maximum self gratification. ...

I'd put the words "for an audience" after performing and suggest we keep a focus on what provides THEM with the best.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I like gimmicks, used to get them all the time as a kid, but as my use of sleight of hand improved (thanks to the Godfather and other members here), the less and less I would use any gimmicks - don't carry any with me as a matter of fact - don't need them really. Smile Certainly, gimmicks can make a lot of stuff happen, but many times it's dedicated to one effect. Much rather have or borrow a few coins and do something with them. Smile If I had to tell someone what to do in this case, I'd say invariably, "Learn the sleights first." Gimmicks are cool, especially a [ but I guess to each his own. Smile -MB
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1569 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Thanks for all the kind words guys. I did not know geoff latta was the one who came up with the toss across bit. Thanks for the info Jonathan. The first person I saw do it was dan watkins. I have messed around with the routine using no gaffs, but the finger movement is still hard to get rid of during some of the "transactions". Maybe with good timing and misdirection it could be done convincingly. Thanks for watching
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
The video was good. It is really different watching these kind of magic on a small screen and live in person where there is eye contact, misdirection etc...

In a real world setting the last coin needs more misdirection and motivation thanjust technique. With both... you have a miracle. t is very clear that you have the chops and your hands look pretty natural to me. Naturalness in my opinion depends on the individual. Some are just unnaturally natural and vise versa.

I would say Homer Liwag ought to be cited as well.

All the best in your coin magic man! Thanks for sharing!

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Gaffs are good but they can let you down. If a gaff "talks" or fails to work (for example shell gets stuck, or locking shell doesn't lock) doubt is cast on every thing you do. I try not to use them. That way I can throw my coins around and handle them like they are real....because they are, most of the time.

For example, I am afraid of the dan watkins coins across that he shows on Coinvention (simalar to the video on this thread). He fearlessly toss a coin with the shell like it is a real coins. I just can bring myself to do that.
Wes
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Yes gaffs can let you down but so can real coins - dropping coins from EG while doing stack transfers anyone? Sweaty hands, dry hands, I think its fair to say that its not the gaffs which could let you down but your hands let you down. Gaffs and gimmicks need much practice just as real sleight of hand does.

I think the biggest problem with gimmicks isn't wether they would fail or not, but addition and clean up while having seamless transitions. Many people have done it, produced real miracles, but it's something that's everyone can botch up on.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » My coins across (video) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL