The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » How About Some Respect for Authority? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
[quote]On 2007-03-28 23:54, cinemagician wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. What I was trying to suggest by my statement above is that most younger/ less experienced magicians aren't likely to have a true respect for the older/ more experienced until they have been around long enough to really appreciate what has come before them.

Your comment above about finding value even in those who "did not appeal to me" is an even larger step up the ladder of respect.

In the fall, I worked in a magic shop for a short period of time just to get the practice, as I was starting to perform again.

When the younger guys would come into the shop, sometimes a little session would develop.

After performing a trick, I would begin to explain to the other guys who were usually a bit younger and less experienced; the origin of the routine as best as I could.

It would usually go something like this:

"Well, that was a Frank Garcia effect, but I believe the genesis of the routine was really Ed Marlo's...

"I don't really care too much about who created it", one of the younger guys would say. It dosen't interest me." Just show us the trick."

Another example-

The shop sold a little booklet by Billy McComb called, "Card Routine for Klutzes". Until I picked it up I had a mediocre oppinion of Mr. McComb. From what little I had read and seen about him, I respected him as a performer and a comedian but to the best of my knowledge was not that thrilled with some of his pet routines as the style was different from my own. The slow motion vanishing bird cage and the half dyed hank were not killers to me.

Then I read this little booklet-

It has changed the way I view the multiple card revelation routine in many ways. It is so practical and so smart. The oppening paragraph of the little booklet was also inspiring.

So I recomended it to all of the young hot shots that frequented the shop. I said for the money it is the best thing we have in the shop. Not one of then picked it up despite it's low price.

It takes time to develop a real respect for the elders in magic.

This is seen all over the Café. Almost any thread about Tarbell, Erdnase or the Hugard books contains at least one or two posts about "outmoded sleights" and "dated tricks". I just roll my eyes, shrug my shoulders, and hope the person who made the comment sticks around long enough to realize that "newer" isn't always "better" (sometimes it isn't even newer!)
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
True, but what is dated- even today is the prevalence of props or table dressings that are not apropriate for the times. You still see them- tassled tables, canes, feather flowers, change bags, odd looking boxes.

I saw a trade show act last year- the performer was good, he was "professional" but when a friend asked me about his act I said it would have been appropriate if we were living in the 1940's.

Nothing wrong with old tricks and old sleights- but there is something wrong with old props- unless you are performing a period piece or in some specific character, which would validate their use.
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
Tony Webs
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Tony Webs
Respect should be given unconditionally to the great and the small but detracted in increments each time they fall.

From Tony Webs
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The old magicians used to have their own workshops like furniture workshops except that they were filled with magic props and all kinds of mechanical machines. Some had 20 ton of equipment and god knows how many staff. They hired ships to move their shows around the world. I can’t even imagine what it must have made them them feel like. I have problems packing a suit case.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There's nothing "wrong" about being respectful to the senile, mentally ill, bigoted, rabid and even the boorish.

It's your self respect that counts.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Craig Peterson
View Profile
New user
Utah
89 Posts

Profile of Craig Peterson
Amen Jonathan.
Tony Webs
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Tony Webs
To Tommy
It probably made them paranoid. Some years ago I realised the shea volume that my magic was taking up so I put enthesis on trying to reduce. I have managed to get at least one act all ito a case, its been quite a journey as a lot of it is stuff ive designed and made.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » How About Some Respect for Authority? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL