The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Price is right? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

adramindmagic
View Profile
Regular user
East St. Louis
106 Posts

Profile of adramindmagic
I have in the past given away a lot of free shows. As I am trying to move away from my job more and more, I wonder if we are what people see our prices set at. And if we give it away, whats that say in the end?
I love magic!
blink_inc
View Profile
Loyal user
Hamilton
278 Posts

Profile of blink_inc
MANY would agree.
Working for free in the cancer ward is different than working for free at a banquet for 200 people.
If you are going to charge $300 per hour show, better offer something of value not just show up with ball and tube.

Will
I am a Sankey addict....please, help me!

My name is Will, my company is Blink, an experience in transposition.
richull
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of richull
I think it was Gene Anderson that said in his lecture that people do not respect free. So if you give a free show they will not respect you this is in a generally speaking I perform for my church as a part of my service for free but charge others. So I think it is in what you are trying to do serve or perform.
damkat69
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of damkat69
Depends really on where you are preforming...for example when I do a kids show I charge less than I do for an adult show. The reason is that I am just starting to do magic for kids, as where I preform magic for adults all the time and most of the effects are a little harder to preform than I am finding with the kids stuff. I also base it on who I am doing the show for. Yes I have given and will be giving some free shows this summer for a charity I think will benifit from what I have to offer and I feel it will create more business in the future. I most often keep it very affordable so I am booked more and make more money in volume...I love preforming so I want to do it as much as possible, so to keep the cost a little lower does help in that area, at least for me.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
There a lot of discussions about setting prices etc. on the forums, most a pretty good read. Pricing is a combination of a lot of things, the size of your show, ur reputation and demand, type of audience, going rates in the area, etc. When it comes to free shows, I've always tried to limit them to organizations I participate in and charities I particularly care to support. When you begin as a magician doing some free shows is good experience, but as warned above, beware, you can get flooded with requests for free shows. And doing magic in a pedi ward in a hospital, or cancer ward is indeed different from fund raising banquets and shows. Often in such shows people do get paid, and my rule is "if any entertainer is being paid, I get paid". Though I have at times given such shows a lower rate, I still have expenses, and am giving up a time slot in which another show that pays could be scheduled. You have to learn to say "no", ask some questoins about the organization and type of show, and decide accordingly. I found that the cheapest I could do a local show for, my cost, was about $125 for an hour. So to make money I had to get more than that, and to accept any less than that, I was paying to do the show. Take into consideration such things as cost of maintence and purchase of your props, transportation to and from the show, liability insurance, your time, income and self employment tax (which takes a hunk out of any show fee), pay to any assistants you have, payment for royalties on music you use, etc. You'd be surprise how much it costs you to do a show. Then look at factors like type of show (will this show likely be something that will give you good exposure and get you other gigs), local competition, prime vs. non prime time (weekends are prime times, you need to charge more, as most of your bookings will come in these prime times and every show you take is another you could find yourself turning down), the amount of time they want you to perform (takes you just as long to set up and tear down for a 20 min show as it does for an hour show) ect. and the set a price that you can make a reasonable after tax and after cost salary for yourself. Far too many magicians even when they get paid work for nothing.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
If you charge little Joey's mother $1,500 for a birthday party, she will ask for someone cheaper. If you charge Nabisco $150. for a corp. dinner, they will ask for someone better.

Step one; acquire the talent.
Step two; know thy market.

A magician is a Sales person. The audience is the customer. Your talent is your product. Once you can define those, then you will be able to know what to charge.

Good Luck.
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
I really feel that entertainers that work a lot should give back to the community..so to speak... I do perform some free shows, in a round about way. I did some work with the Jerry Lewis MDA people. When I did the shows I made sure that I had them print up something in the paper about it which helped them with attendance and it got my name out there. As it has been said so many times here at the Café', be careful about getting the "Oh you do free shows" syndrom. It is ok to do some but there has been so much good advice on it. Wow di dthat make sense. I guess I need some sleep....sorry. Hopefully you will get the money for your professionalism in your act. If you act cheap that is what your target audience will see,a cheap magician. Charging is a big thing here so just ask some of the pros or the semi pros and find out how to charge for your act. I think Photius siad it best. Find out what it costs you to do a show. There are so many hidden costs to you that you will find out as you go. Anyway this is just another rambleing of mine. Thanks for listening.

Happy Magic
Steven
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
I do a lot of 'free shows,' mostly at the local Children's Hospital. On a personal level, it's one of the most important and satisfying things that I do....and isn't always easy.

And while I put 'everything I have' into these shows, I also use them as a testing ground for new material, something I would be far less likely to do for a paying customer. I always have strong segments framing the show, but will try new things between established 'proven' routines.

That aside, establishing your worth as a performer is not an exact science. You need to first, research what the market bears (what are similar performers earning per for different kinds of shows), then gain an objective perspective on your comparative skills, considering, what, if any, unique elements you could bring to the equation.

And, at least half the issue is almost always marketing....the salesmanship that you (or your representation) are able to provide.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I actually had other "magicians" complain about the prices I charged that they were too much. I told them you charge what you're worth...People feel good about knowing they brought in "the best" and cheap fees don't say "the best" but we must keep it realistic. Provide great entertainment for the money, and give them more than they paid for...you can't go wrong.
levitateyou
View Profile
New user
Michigan
1 Post

Profile of levitateyou
A couple years ago, I was asked to work the Detroit Auto Show which put me on a four day schedule charging $350.00 an hour. As an incentive, I offered to do an after-party (strictly walk-around) for $100.00 a half hour. This has brought me business like you wouldn't believe! Not only did I get to do some pretty cool illusions, but I got the chance to stage my close-up abilities as well (for businesses all across America in one place). Many said I was under charging.....and this is what I wanted to hear! Always leave your audience wanting more. Be better than your fee!
DUTCH MAGIC MAN
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of DUTCH MAGIC MAN
What ever you do don't buy into doing a free show when they say you will get free publicity. That isn't the kind of free publicity you need.They will ask the organizer how much did you pay for the magician? He will say free. not good!
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2007-03-16 09:35, richull wrote:
I think it was Gene Anderson that said in his lecture that people do not respect free. So if you give a free show they will not respect you this is in a generally speaking I perform for my church as a part of my service for free but charge others. So I think it is in what you are trying to do serve or perform.

I respect FREE. I Love FREE. Gimme,Gimme,Gimme!
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Don't get Free confused with CHEAP.
PennyMagic4U
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of PennyMagic4U
As already stated - as the boys in New York taught me - there is no such thing as a free lunch. You can not charge for your services, but they are not free. You can donate your services, but they are not free. Always ask for something in return. Free advertizing, free press, free air time - something if nothing else get a receipt you can use on your tax return. Free is what you do for you family when you try out a new trick - and even that is not free - as the boys from New York say - it costs the family their time to watch! Good Luck
PennyMagic4U
p.s. Thanks to the Boys in New York for the education.
PennyMagic4U by Jerry Penny
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
774 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
I strongly agree with penny magic
J Rodriguez
jcmagicman
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of jcmagicman
In my opinion, don't ever do FREE shows unless something is bartered in exchange for your services. You should always approach magic with a business mentality. Know what end goal you want to accomplish.

When I was first starting out in my teen years, I always made it a rule for myself to charge no matter what. I got one of my first walk-around gigs for a new hair salon in my neighborhood at $20 an hour + tips (for every customer that I brought in to the owners shop). It wasn't much, but needless to say, I was booked for 2 days for a total of 6 hours. Soon after, the word traveled and I found myself working at other retail venues which I hiked up my price to $40 an hour. I didn't really enjoy these gigs but it helped me get performing experience and I got the opportunity to distribute a ton of business cards.

Back then, we had no internet forums to get advice. I just relied on plain common sense and observed sales people at work. I learned that the choice of words you use can have a profound impact on people. Everyone will always tell you they have little to no budget. But if you can paint the big picture to them with beautiful words, you will definitely walk away with money in your pocket. Read up on some sales books and apply them next time a similar FREE show situation comes up. Put your game face on and be creative with your sales pitch. Use conviction and confidence in your approach. Hope that helps.
Bradley Roberts
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas
413 Posts

Profile of Bradley Roberts
Well I would say that many years ago I gave a lot of Free shows. I learned the hard way. If you let a non-profit know that you will do it for Free they will treat you like you are Free. Now don't get me wrong I still do about 5 shows free a year but that is to a select groups.

I just get calls all the time that say will you do our event for free. Last year I did one for a group, not going to say the name. I was told the 2 times that I would be on stage that day. When I got there they said that they would like me to do my magic over by a tree and not on the stage. They then said they had a spot for the stage now to do my show. Well I get up there and get ready and they said that I would have to wait. They had a group come up and act out part of Huck Finn. Then I was able to get up. I was half way through the show and they stopped me because the parachute jumpers are coming. So I did. Once that was done we started again...BUT... they came up to me again and asked for me to stop so that they could have their watermelon eating contest. At that time I packed everything up and put it in the car. The other magician that was with me asked the Huck Finn group if they got paid for this...he said "thank goodness we did it is hot today".

From that day on I have limited my free shows. If someone calls asking me to do it I just ask what is your budget for entertainment. If they have none to make it worth my time and gas then no show.

~B-Rad
B-Rad "The Kids Magician"
Brad Kids Magic Website
"A child's smile is one of life's greatest blessings."
Cyar
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Cyar
Quote:
On 2008-03-17 12:23, Bradley Roberts wrote:
Well I would say that many years ago I gave a lot of Free shows. I learned the hard way. If you let a non-profit know that you will do it for Free they will treat you like you are Free. Now don't get me wrong I still do about 5 shows free a year but that is to a select groups.

I just get calls all the time that say will you do our event for free. Last year I did one for a group, not going to say the name. I was told the 2 times that I would be on stage that day. When I got there they said that they would like me to do my magic over by a tree and not on the stage. They then said they had a spot for the stage now to do my show. Well I get up there and get ready and they said that I would have to wait. They had a group come up and act out part of Huck Finn. Then I was able to get up. I was half way through the show and they stopped me because the parachute jumpers are coming. So I did. Once that was done we started again...BUT... they came up to me again and asked for me to stop so that they could have their watermelon eating contest. At that time I packed everything up and put it in the car. The other magician that was with me asked the Huck Finn group if they got paid for this...he said "thank goodness we did it is hot today".

From that day on I have limited my free shows. If someone calls asking me to do it I just ask what is your budget for entertainment. If they have none to make it worth my time and gas then no show.

~B-Rad

You're a better man than I. Once they said perform by the tree, I would've walked there and not stop.

My experience in other areas of work when setting a price has been the same as much said here. People don't appreciate what's given away for free.
I told those f***s down at the league office a thousand times that I don't roll on Shabbos!
bhappie
View Profile
Regular user
B. Happie Entertainment, LLC
123 Posts

Profile of bhappie
For my Gospel show, I have a no church left behind policy. If they can not pay my fee in full or even part of it I will be there with just as a big a smile on my face to do the show. I publish this policy on my website and in a couple articles that have been done about me. No one has taken advantage of it (that I know of). I have only had 2 organizations ask for it free and they had good reasons. I have one organization that has had me there twice and has me booked again for 2 more shows. They went a little low on the fee, but I have had organizations ask if they can give me a little MORE to compensate for the free shows I do. That is the gospel show though, it is a little different doing God's work. If I'm not getting a check here, there will be one waiting in my heavenly retirement account.

As far as my other shows go, there is no rule in stone. Usually, I tell them about the gospel show and offer that for free. If they don't want that show, they will have to pay for anything else.
bhappie
View Profile
Regular user
B. Happie Entertainment, LLC
123 Posts

Profile of bhappie
Quote:
On 2007-05-09 13:16, DUTCH MAGIC MAN wrote:
What ever you do don't buy into doing a free show when they say you will get free publicity. That isn't the kind of free publicity you need.They will ask the organizer how much did you pay for the magician? He will say free. not good!

Exactly! You don't get "free publicity" you get publicity that you were free.

I tell customers who I donate shows to (or give a discount) that it is on one condition- I tell them my regular fee and tell them if anyone asks how much I charge to tell them my fee.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Price is right? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL