The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Multiplying ping pong balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

oso2you
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
128 Posts

Profile of oso2you
Under the catagory "too much time on his hands", I was curious if I could make a set of multiplying balls out of ping pong balls. Why? Just because.

I found that you can buy balls of 40mm which when cut in half make a perfect shell for regular sized balls. I painted them red and voila, here I am. Now I can add them to my wooden set, my rubber golf ball, plastic golf ball set and my sponge ball set.

They would be good for those of us with smaller hands and they seem pretty comfortable to manipulate.
Magicdoc88
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of Magicdoc88
Do you find the ping pong balls a bit of slippery?
oso2you
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
128 Posts

Profile of oso2you
They are until you paint them. I used primer then two coats of red spray enamel which gives them a nice cling.
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Quote:
On 2007-03-14 02:07, oso2you wrote:
Under the catagory "too much time on his hands", I was curious if I could make a set of multiplying balls out of ping pong balls. Why? Just because.

I found that you can buy balls of 40mm which when cut in half make a perfect shell for regular sized balls. I painted them red and voila, here I am. Now I can add them to my wooden set, my rubber golf ball, plastic golf ball set and my sponge ball set.

They would be good for those of us with smaller hands and they seem pretty comfortable to manipulate.

I still ask why? Painting the balls red now have made the everyday looking ping pong balls into some sort of standard looking ball.

I think the ping pong idea is nice, but why not try to keep them looking like ping pong balls?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I'd be concerned about the weight, or lack of it. But, if they work for you, carry on!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Ah, yes the ping pong balls. When I was much much younger I made a set of multiplying ping pongs and used them quite a lot actually. The weight is a factor, as is the surface. But hey, I used 'em and they worked! So yeah. Later on I used the ping pongs as the display part of a 'perpetual balls' type bit-I used the white fakinis for the moves but had the PP's in the hat for a big reveal as I poured all the 'produced' balls into another container. It looked great and was very cost effective!
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
oso2you
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
128 Posts

Profile of oso2you
That's a very good point about leaving them as they are. One would have to overcome their slick finish.
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
Small application of the right kind of hair spray to the ball and let dry...gives them a nice tacky-ness for manipulation.
-Jacob
I've been training these cards since they were small.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Multiplying ping pong balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL