The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » March Madness Contest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
This doesn't have anything to do with College Hoop except that one clue is a city known for legendary basketball teams.

In order to win, you need to give the name of a published coin routine that is associated with the names of two famous magicians. The routine is the creation of one of them. This routine is not hard to do but I doubt if many of you have ever seen it. It was not published in some obscure journal or manuscript.

Their names are mentioned on the dust jacket of my book, 21st Century Coin Mechanics. If you don't have my book, you can view the dust jacket on line by going to my website and clicking the dust jacket link at the very bottom of that page:
http://www.geocities.com/larrybarnowsky/

Rules:
Maximum of three guesses

The winner gets four dollar size solid 100 year old Chinese coins. These are the same ones I gives out to Café memebers who purchase my book. They are naturally shimmed as well.

Best of Luck,

Larry
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Boston Box Coin Routine by Elmsley
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Steppin....Twice.....

We have the two steppers dance team at the high school....

Boston SAM Convention was a good time....

Can't dribble and shoot at the same time.
My grandson can juggle 3 of them at the same time.(basketballs that is)

I am sports deficient except...

I was KU Air Hockey Champ during my college sports years.(never waste time in college...)

Back in 85 or so I got to entertain the JayHawk basketball team after their big final 4 win...It was fun...I felt 5' 7" tall after performing ...up from 5'5" in my stocking feet...

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Rik Chew
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Rik Chew
Okito Box routine by Elmsley
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I too was thinking okito box but he said somthing we prolly have not seen. id think we have all seen okito box
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I am guessing it is not the box but the routine some/most haven't seen.

For another interesting take on the box check out the post on B.M.

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Boy you guys are good. The winner is Harris who is noted not for his air ball but his air puck. Smile

The magicians named on the dust jacket were Elmsley and Okito. In the collected Works of Alex Elmsley Volume 2, there is an effect called Boston Two-Step performed with a variant of the Okito Box known as the Boston Box. This box was likely invented by Walter Gibson. The props include the Boston Box, half dollars and a penny with a gaff added to the Boston Box. A handkerchief is also used. The penny vanishes from the handkerchief and joins the half dollars in the box. Then they all disappear from the box and are produced from the hank using the Chanin Production. The only difference in the way I do it is I produce the halves and penny one at a time using the Chanin Production instead of a fan of coins and then the penny. Look it up. It's a great routine.

Larry
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Man oh man! That was quick! Oh the perils of living in another time zone! Congratulations Harris! You amaze me! Thanks for the contest Larry!

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
You slippin' Doc...Smile You're contests usually take hundreds of posts for a correct answer to appear. You didn't even get a chance this time to drop many clues or tease us on toward victory. Smile Good stuff! And congrats Harris...our very first "nearly normal" winner. Smile -MB
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

You're right MB, I'm losing my edge, my grip, to coin a phrase. I'll have to shell out another four Chinese coins and get a grip on myself or JW. Smile

Larry
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Thanks Larry....

I have read the 2 volumes and love coins and box work...(though these days I usually only use one occasionally)
The reason is last year I lost the one I have had for about 25 years and recently got a new one. Seems as it is a bit noisy. I am slowly getting use to it. My old one had a small dent in it which made the box a little tighter and somewhat quieter. Love one handed turn overs and other simple things to put a nearly normal thing together...

Love humor and coin magic. The Café is a great place to learn and share both.

Rannie although we have some great coin guys in (and formerly in...Jason B....the KC area, I don't get to see too many out of towners. Books are a great place to hide routines that many are not using.

Chanin, Elmsly, Okito and of course like Mr. Larry B, Rannie, MB...are great inspiration for this nearly normal coin guy. DVD, video, books and the Café are great places for inspiration....

Back in the 70's I got a chance to meet Chanin when he came through the KC area..at least I remember...was he the one that produced smoke from his mouth after "eating cotton"?

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Far to quick . . . .
Cards never lie
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Thanks to you the Mrs. and Okito....

The package arrived safe and sound. The coins got me rereading Mohamed Bey's Coin Box small pamphlet. Although I love reading and at times getting new things, I love going back in "time".

Somewhere in my magic dungeon I have a dollar sized okito box. It also got me thinking about playing cards with magnetic shimmed inserts. Do you use them with half or dollar sized coins? Are there certain makers of magnetic shimmed that will pick up things like your wonderful Chinese coins.

Thanks again for the food for thought contest.

Harris
cc to nothing up my sleeve
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Harris,
Most dealers sell shimmed cards. Cards with a thin "neo" magnet in them exist but the best ones (thinnest cards) are custom made. If you want to use ordinary cards consider using a PK ring, or conceal a tiny m----- under a bandaid on your finger etc.

Larry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » March Madness Contest (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL