The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » What The....? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Like others, I have fits about approaching strangers, how do I open, should I invade their personal space, etc. At Starbucks today, I witnessed a spectacle that simply unnerved me.

This homeless guy was accosting everyone walking out of the shop, making banal small talk and offering comments ("that's a nice shirt," "I like those earrings," etc.). Many people simply hurried past...but others, 10-15 in two or three groups, actually stopped and engaged in conversation with this guy! They had no necessity to do so, could easily have slipped away, but instead actually seemed to enjoy the intrusion.

Unfortunately, Homeless Guy turned belligerent and eventually created a disturbance requiring police assistance. He seemed mentally ill, perhaps bi-polar, who knows. But my point is that, prior to his meltdown, he attracted and maintained the attention of a crowd using, well, nothing! He didn't have a good story, and he certainly wasn't doing Magic.

I was amazed that anybody would even give this guy the time of day, but for half an hour the guy had a dozen people enthralled.

Leland
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So your saying walking up to people to do "street magic" as it is laughingly called now, makes you look like a bi polar hobo? Makes sense to me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
My brother was homeless for a number of years (he is in a home now since he went through rehab). You would be surprised how many people talked to him and he looked as bad as they come.

I'm not sure what you mean by approaching strangers but if you mean on the street to do magic I am not really understanding your point.
itsreallyquiet
View Profile
New user
Bay Area CA
19 Posts

Profile of itsreallyquiet
I have really good results with doing effects for hippies on college campus'. I think because they have a stigma about just turning their back and walking away from me. like they don't want to think of themselves as uptight ***s. but it works out for me because I get a lot of good practice.
Michael Midnight
View Profile
Regular user
Southern Swamp
104 Posts

Profile of Michael Midnight
Quote:
On 2007-03-14 16:14, Dannydoyle wrote:
So your saying walking up to people to do "street magic" as it is laughingly called now, makes you look like a bi polar hobo? Makes sense to me.

LOL! Unfortunately true for some.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Quote:
On 2007-03-14 16:24, MagicSanta wrote:
My brother was homeless for a number of years (he is in a home now since he went through rehab). You would be surprised how many people talked to him and he looked as bad as they come.

I'm not sure what you mean by approaching strangers but if you mean on the street to do magic I am not really understanding your point.

Glad your brother got himself together -- all my best for his continued sobriety.

As to approaching strangers on the street to do Magic, I'm one of those who enjoy performing impromptu and unasked; as such, I put a good deal of thought into how this might best be done, given the apprehension that potential audiences naturally feel when approached by strangers. Homeless Guy apparently put no such thought into his "approach," and yet was able to quite effectively engage with complete strangers. Until things turned sour.

On a side note, after the police were notified, it took ten minutes for a uniform to arrive.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » What The....? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL