The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » When the hammer comes down,don't panic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Quote:
On 2007-03-28 10:39, magicmanci15 wrote:
Ok, this may be a litle off topic, but...

The District manager owns a couple of the same restaurant that I work at on the island, and in the tri-state area. It was eventually his sole decision to hire me, and in the last month Ive literally asked every table to let someone know if my magic somehow contributed to their good time out. I get good reviews left and right, and I love working there. I was considering calling up Lou, the Distric Manager, and telling him of all the positive feedback with hopes that he will hire me on different nights for his different locations. Has this worked in for anyone before, and suggestions??

Ivan

Ivan,
My thoughts on this are yes and no. I'll try to make sense:) If you know the DM well - he's the one who hired you etc.. etc.. , if you've been there for a little while (I dunno, a month or two) and you've had good results - Then Yes, I think you SHOULD pitch having you in the other locations on different evenings.

I would not however call up and let him know your tables love you. That should be a given. What I would do is check with the GM andor Manager on duty to see how the feedback was at the end of the evening you perform. This way, when you do contact the DM and he questions his personnel they remember vividly the feedback received.

I specifically contacted my GM, (he is not there the nights I perform) to let him know of a free plug I landed for myself and the restaurant on the morning show for one of our popular radio stations here in CT and to let him know that the Show host would be coming in that evening. Something out of the ordinary like that I feel it's worth bringing to their attention, otherwise, pitch for the other locations as you think it's been going very well and getting great feedback.

Good luck!!!

And RichJim, sorry to hear that!
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well if you have to tell him of the positive feedback, then it is not working right.

See the whole way to make yourself indispencible, is to have THEM HEARING about you, not you telling him people love you.

See the difference?

Also I am with Jeff, when a manager has a plan, you may not see it but it is HIS plan, if you are not part of it no matter what you say, it is over. Just step out proud, and always leave the door open.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Quote:
On 2007-03-29 13:41, Dannydoyle wrote:
Well if you have to tell him of the positive feedback, then it is not working right.

See the whole way to make yourself indispencible, is to have THEM HEARING about you, not you telling him people love you.

See the difference?

Exactly my point above...I hope that is how it read.
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
Yes, gigs end. I agree that we should hold our head high and move on. But certianly keep the door open as GMs and even owners change.

Without starting a new post. I am sorry if I should have...

I have a similar issue of job security. I have been working in the same venue for 10 years. The owner has hired a balloon twister on the night that I am not in. He said it had nothing to do with me, but he wanted to try something different. After speaking to the owner, he said that I have nothing to worry about as far as my job, that they like what I do.

Of course I do feel a bit "ego bruised" and wonder if this balloon twister will become more of an attraction than the magic, and ultimatly "take over" I know that I can only control what I do when I am in, and continue to do my best, and that is what I plan to do. Has anyone else had this issue? And how did you handle it?

thanks,

David
Brady
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, CA
235 Posts

Profile of Brady
SoCalPro,

Just a couple of thoughts. In my other life, over the years, I was a national sales director and national sales manager for several large companies. I have often found that managers with nothing but "managing" experience make all kinds of stupid decisions that put companies at greater financial risk.

I find your situation a great example of that. The "new" GM that decided you were no longer needed, was the GM at another location. She was the one in charge and made all the decisions. That location is now shut down. I am going to guess that it wasn't because the building burnt down. So, upper management, in all their wisdom, was so impressed by her performance that they put her in charge of yet another location.

Question: who's daugther is she or who is she sleeping with or who does she have naked pictures of?

The answer doesn't really matter. If you mentally and fairly revue your time at that restaurant you know whether or not you gave a real value to the restaurant. I am guessing that value was far greater than the money you received. Let that be our confidence. You know you can take that value where ever you go.

Regards,

Brady

P.S. What part of SoCal you in, maybe we should do lunch someday.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » When the hammer comes down,don't panic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL