The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Criss Angel new DVDs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ben Stolz
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Ben Stolz
Wow...

They are really using Criss's name as a marketing tool. If this said "Aaron Fisher" or "Kevin Parker", it wouldn't sell as much. If Criss was still underground like he used to be, these DVDs would be dust-collectors.

$30 for some Keycard Routines, a TOOTHPICK VANISH, and a TT? They've really done it now...

HAHA...KEYCARD...HAHA

I think I would choose a Marshall Brodein's MAGIC KIT before I bought these!

What a ripoff...

Ben

PS-I hate Criss. I know he is a nice guy, buthe has lead people to believe that he is the BEST magician. I don't even think he qualifies in the top 200. GO MORGAN Smile!!!
Lukenp
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Lukenp
This is a complete and utter ripoff. I'll be surprised if anyone buys them. It's a joke actually. A marketing ploy if you will. Good luck with this Criss...........NOT!
"Be natural"

-Dai Vernon
Lukenp
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Lukenp
Quote:
On 2007-04-01 17:06, Ben Stolz wrote:
. I don't even think he qualifies in the top 200.

Absolutely not.
"Be natural"

-Dai Vernon
David O
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of David O
This is ridiculous. I hope that the next time I go into a city I don't see a person doing the toothpick vanish for money.
Bande
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Bande
Wow, why all the hatred? I am just a beginner, so really have no ability to argue whether he is a top magician or not. When I can say, is that I enjoyed watching his TV show. It got me interested in magic, and I started looking for some tricks to do. If the purpose of magic is to entertain people, and he is entertaining what is the big deal? I have seen a bunch of other magicians -- and though they may been technically better, I found them as a mere lay person less entertaining. As long as your trick is good enough to fool a reasonably intelligent audience, I think it is more important to be entertaining than perfecting some particular skills. I know this may sound heretical but whether you made the coin disappear using a muscle pass or a gaffed coin is irrelevant to me and I think any audience member -- what matters is did I believe the magic. Now if complicated sleights allows you to make something look more impossible then a gaff, sure then the skill is important, but really only then.

This is a common problem in many arenas. Guitar fanactics will sing the praises of Yngwie Maelstrom and tell you Clapton sucks -- I guess, but I buy Clapton because I like the sound and do not buy Yngwie even though he can play more notes at greater speed or whatever then Clapton, because I don't like listening to him.

/rant off Smile
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
It's not about Chriss Angel being a good magician or not. It's about selling over priced tricks that can be learned from better sources at a fraction of the cost. At least, that's my problem with these dvds.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Bande
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Bande
That is certainly a more reasonable objection, and to my mind at least exactly what this forum is great at. Experienced people commenting on products and giving honest reviews -- if these tricks can be had at a cheaper price then I am in favor of letting people know what and where. I am sure some people will like the Criss Angel branding, and thus will pay for it (again no reason to be bitter about it) --- as a value shopper I just want the tricks. Smile

Thinking of getting the Mike Ammar DVDs as everyone seems pretty impresed by them
Michael T
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of Michael T
Just from the list of tricks I can say this is a waste of money. Buy Magic for Dummies book for ten bucks!
Jaymz023
View Profile
Veteran user
Midwest
356 Posts

Profile of Jaymz023
I think what you are paying for here is to learn these tricks from Criss Angel- so is that a waste of money?? Depends on each individual person. I wont buy this, but if someone has the money and wants to learn from the man himself, then who cares! I don't see the point in knocking these dvd's. I would do the same if I were him. I cant blame a guy for trying to make an honest buck.
Creator of "Re-Attached" an easy piece by piece Torn and Restored card routine.

http://www.lybrary.com/reattached-p-250.html
kermitjohnson
View Profile
New user
johnson city, tennessee
41 Posts

Profile of kermitjohnson
These are designed to get criss fans to spend money, hopefully in their local magic shops. I agree though its now what we use to do magic, but how well we do it. and these will sell like crazy. but hey a couple more seasons and his 15 mi. of fame will be over. he was a better entertaier whenn only magician knew of him.
I'm not found of the editing, and some of the tricks that he does, but I'm more concerned with the people who buy a trick half ass learn it, video tape themselves doing it (and sometimes explaining it) on youtube, and other video site. at last someone will be paying to learn the tricks. we should fight to protect our art from "tubers".

that's my 2 cents
Illusionist Kermit Johnson
kermitjohnson
View Profile
New user
johnson city, tennessee
41 Posts

Profile of kermitjohnson
Spelling corrections.

not what we use, I'm ot fond of, at least someone will be paying,

sorry for the poor spelling, got excited
Illusionist Kermit Johnson
True Believer
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of True Believer
Hi everyone!
This is my first post on the Magic Café forums.
I bought the "Master Mindfreaks vol.4" just 2 weeks ago. There are old effects in it, but with NEW presentation concepts and there are also a few astonishing tricks (at least to my audience). The explanations are wonderful and I also learned a bit of jugglery after watching it ;-).
That's just my opinion...
michaangelo
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of michaangelo
Tough call magic friends. On one hand, Criss is making magic "cool" again to the average lay person... I have had more random folks interested when I pull out the deck of cards (anyone else experienced the person who flees from the room as soon as you say you are a magician? Smile ) Criss and David Blaine have put magic into peoples living rooms and helped them become interested. That is valuable to all of us. They have also exposed magic to a whole generation of magicians who never saw Michael Ammar on Johnny Carson, or Mark Wilson, or even the David Copperfield stuff on tv. I do agree that it is a bummer when a layperson gets access to secrets, but who are we to decide the difference between a layperson and a budding magician. With the slow demise of the brick and mortars, the younger folks are probably finding it more and more difficult to meet actual magicians... Therefore, TV and (gasp) YouTube (insert hissing noise and a chorus of Boo's here) is a door that gets new magicians into the door. It is an ugly way to make it happen, but it is our reality.

To me, Criss and others like him challenge all of us to perfect our technique (if people are more aware, they will catch sloppy technique and lazy magicians) and do more magic for people so they can see a real magician in the flesh. I am grateful for Criss for putting us out there, I might wish he would do things differently, but it's his gig.
RichardSand
View Profile
New user
Amsterdam
56 Posts

Profile of RichardSand
Well said sir..
I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Criss Angel new DVDs (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL