The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Editing Music--what and how? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Over the years I've used most editing software including many of the ones named here. This is the best one I've found.

http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/

It's easy to use, inexpensive and they are always updating it, fixing and adding things. They also have a CD burner program and plenty of sounds you can use to make your music interesting.

John Cesta
Ethan the emazing
View Profile
Elite user
anywhere but here USA
454 Posts

Profile of Ethan the emazing
I downloaded audacity too see how good it was, its ok, you can import mp3 file and edit them, and add little effects and other little things. I run sound at my church and was looking for something better then audacity, but absolutely FREE (I have an EXTREMELY low budget). Any suggestions?
TV Magic Pal
View Profile
New user
Dogtown up in the 'Lou
62 Posts

Profile of TV Magic Pal
All of this editing is on music you are legally able to edit and use in performance, right?
Michael L.

Magic is a lie. It is our job to convince the audience to overlook the lie and our goal to make them embrace it.
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
I hate to be "that guy," but there has only a few posts above that mention the 'right solution.' A few others mention about hiring a pro. This is the way to go. In fact, James Lee (above) mentioned he does it full time.

I've never spoken with him or heard his work, but I would reccomend that you PM him or someone with his background to hire to do your work. Or hire a local sound engineer, college student involved with digital music or other similar fields.

Having someone who knows the tools is virtually always going to be cheaper in the long run than trying to buy your own tools, learn them, then mess around in a field that you have little experience.

It's not that expensive and your results will be so much better.

Of course, in the end, Michael has the most important point of all, make sure you are legally allowed to use, alter, re-encode and play said music during a show.

Scott
TV Magic Pal
View Profile
New user
Dogtown up in the 'Lou
62 Posts

Profile of TV Magic Pal
Truth be told, I own a video company and have years of pro-audio work for me and I would much rather pay or con a friend into do my sound work for me! It isn't as easy as it looks. Scott's advice is good advice (see, dude, you aren't that guy... you're just smart).

And editing MP3s? They are too compressed. It would be like editing my next DVD while it was in iPod video format...
Michael L.

Magic is a lie. It is our job to convince the audience to overlook the lie and our goal to make them embrace it.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
I think for MOST of what the folks here in the Café do is on a personal level.

I mean, I may take a track and cut stuff off the end, add another track of me talking over the previous track. Mix them together which, using the audio software, is a simple matter of moving a piece of audio with my mouse. If you understand cut n paste with text you can "get" the audio software to make your basic music. You can make funny voices and add funny sounds.

I would be going back and forth with a "pro" getting my music and tracks the EXACT way I wanted them. Then, after a few shows, I'd realize I want something a little different. I'd drive the person crazy, not to mention rack up giant hourly rates (not that there's anything wrong with charging. Just that I couldn't afford it and it probably wouldn't be timely enough for me!)

I think as individual performers it would behoove (never used that word before but it fit!) us to spend a day with the software and try some stuff. Yea, it may take a few hours or even days of trial and error but in the end you'll have a new skill. And, it's even fun. Not to mention rewarding.

So, do a little research, find a decent product--you don't need to spend more than $40 at the most to do most of what you would need--learn it, yea sometimes it's a pain and annoying and hard to figure out but that's life, and then you're set. Each time you make new audio tracks for a new show you learn a little more.

Then, when you get NEW ideas you can immediately go and experiment, try them out.

That's my suggestion.

John Cesta
TV Magic Pal
View Profile
New user
Dogtown up in the 'Lou
62 Posts

Profile of TV Magic Pal
Funny, you sum up part of the problem right there.

I had a teacher in art school who used to say, "I am not here to teach you how to paint. I am here to teach you when to stop."

You are just paying for an audio expert's skill or software, you are paying for his ear.

Maybe my next DVD release should be advertised in Parents Magazine; I am thinking about calling it "Don't Hire That Guy! 20 Great Birthday Party Tricks Moms and Dads Can Do!"
Michael L.

Sal Amangka
View Profile
Special user
Manila, Philippines
712 Posts

Profile of Sal Amangka
I agree with Johncesta, Acoustica works well for me and easy to understand.

Sal
Salamangka in Filipino means "Magic"
http://www.thechubstershow.com
thechubstershow@gmail.com
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2007-05-16 23:39, TV Magic Pal wrote:
Funny, you sum up part of the problem right there.

I had a teacher in art school who used to say, "I am not here to teach you how to paint. I am here to teach you when to stop."

You are just paying for an audio expert's skill or software, you are paying for his ear.

Maybe my next DVD release should be advertised in Parents Magazine; I am thinking about calling it "Don't Hire That Guy! 20 Great Birthday Party Tricks Moms and Dads Can Do!"

I am not saying there is no place for a professional audio person. I am saying for MOST needs here in the Café (i.e., part time pros, amateurs, etc) it would not be cost effective.

Now if you are a FULL TIME entertainer who requires GREAT audio and knows how to describe what the requirements are and have the $$ to spend then go for it!

For the small guys needs learning to do is more cost effective way to get the RIGHT sound.

John
fefe_fontane
View Profile
New user
Dallas/Los Angeles
46 Posts

Profile of fefe_fontane
Hey everyone...I edit music and videos for a living and I would certianly be up to editing for magicians:-) If you have any questions at all or want to throw some ideas at me, please let me know. I have edited music for FISM competitors as well as those in IBM and TAOM. I'm more than willing to help out:-)

-C
A.C.D
214-952-7171
Magician's Assistant~Actress~Dancer~Model
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
I would think that no matter the level of your current performance you want to be perceived as professional. Poorly done sound, badly constructed props, poor lighting are the hallmarks of semi-professional performance. A friend told me 'It is not what it costs you, it is what it makes you', get a pro and they will fix problems that you did not know you had.
I know a little medicine, but I won't try to remove my appendix. Get professional help on your sound and lighting and you can concentrate on the area you are good at, magic.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Sound forge.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Editing Music--what and how? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL