The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Can you guys give me some advice? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

HNTVProduction
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of HNTVProduction
Heys everyone I just made a video and was wondering if people could give me some advice on how I could improve my showmanship. My names Vinh Giang and here's what I been working on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiHX9mllDwI

thanks guys!
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Vihn,

I loved the level of energy shown in the clip - but for my taste, the clip is way too long and too strongly trying to look like an E product

Nice tricks - yet you need to put some work in your DLs.

On crowd handling - in one shot, you performed at the far side of the table. I would either go to the head of the table or try to get a place in the middle, as the spectators on the other side of the table were rather excluded from your performance.

Andy
Cards never lie
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Vinh,

I would had like to seen the camara stay on you through the whole routine and then cut to the crowd.

With that said, I agree with Andy about the DL (even though I could say the same about my own). You seemed to display a lot of confidence. You appeared to be working the crowd quite well. Most importantly, everyone seem to be enjoying you performance quite a lot.
Wes
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
I agree that the video was way to long to ask other magicians for
advise. I myself got distracted a couple of times, but I like your
last effect.

I missed the whole DL thingk, but with my ADD, I just can't sit and
watch that for 10 minutes. Smile But in reallity, as we saw in the
video the audience was entertained. You brought magic to them and
made them smile and potentially forget about life for a little while
and hopefully instilled wonder.
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
damkat69
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of damkat69
Magic for me is based on the reaction I recieve from the crowd I do it for. It seems that everyone in your video was having a good time. Great job.
HNTVProduction
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Thanks so far for the advice guys much appreciated. I will keep my videos shorter in the future, I look back at them and yes they are a little too long lol. And about the DLs I love doing the strike double but its very hard! lol but again thanks for the advice guys !

Take care
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
I don't care about your DL, the audience said it was fine. Vihn, it's time for you to stop doing "street magic" or "busking" as it is correctly known, and go pro. When someone as skilled with an audience as you are is working the streets it's bad for the magic business in general. If you haven't writen out your script, you should. You aren't bad, but there is no such thing as too good. Write it out, and rehearse it. Always know exactly what you are going to say, and when you are going to say it. You have excelent audience connection, that's the hard part of magic, the tricks are the easy part. No matter what you are told by us, here at the Café' or any other magicians, always listen to your audience. If they react the way you want or intend for them to, then you are doing it correctly, and in the end, that's all that realy matters.

Yeah, your DL wasn't perfect, but you'll get it.
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Vinh,

I mentioned that you and I both need to work on our DL. And you know mine looks just like yours and I've never been caught.

A better DL can fool a magician, but to the layman I'm not sure it matters.
Wes
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Read what JackScratch said everyday till you've done it.

Improve your showmanship?

Your showmanship is superb - didn't even have to watch you - the pure joy on the faces of your audiences proves that.

I generally don't like card magic - because it's so often all about the cards - but your show is not about the cards - it's about magic. Loved it.

Destiny
HNTVProduction
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Heys just want to thank you all for the kind words, I would love to take this and go pro with it. But to be honest I wouldnt know where to start lol. I don't busk, I just do it for fun and experience. Last week when I was out performing I did a trick to a young girl and her parents, after I had finished I started to walk away and the little girl ran after me to give me 2 dollars lol. I told her to keep it as I'm not busking and her parents seemed very surprised. Anyway (sorry about side tracking) point is I just love to perform and I would love to improve my showmanship. Im actually writting out my lines for each trick I know at the moment Thanks for the tip Jackscratch! I can already feel more confident because I know what I am going to say.

Once again thank you guys very much!
ps. If I could I would shout all you guys out for a beeer! lol
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
If someone wants to give you money - take it. It makes them feel good, and it can only raise your skill level, since you want to make sure they got their money's worth.

///ark
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I just want to say that I agree with everyone who said you seem to have very good showmanship. Keep in mind that I can't hear a word you said (That's because of me not you.. Smile ) but I can see their reactions and the look on your face. You look calm, confident and pleasent. You look like a guy having a good time giving them a good time. That's how it should be.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Can you guys give me some advice? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL