The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Matchbox penetration (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
The matchbox penetration I do uses... a matchbox. It uses no sleights; it's totally self-working. Still, it gets great reactions.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Gospel Dan, I think you got an "out of spec" piece of brass. Mine works flawlessly. I squeeze the sides of the box nice and hard as I pivot toward their hand, then dump the brass into their hand. Works every time.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=41

Is this the one everyone has? I have always been interested in this effect, is this the best one?
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
darkdean
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of darkdean
Mine works fine too.

I do believe that Garret Thomas has a super routine using this item and its worth checking out his handling.

Dean
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
There is what appears to be the "good" made-in-Spain version on the Big Auction now.
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Not to discount the brass block penetration, I would also like to suggest Dick Zimmerman's "Crystal Clear".

Matchbox shown with holes on top and bottom of the sleeve. A needle, threaded with a narrow ribbon is introduced. It is shown that the needle and ribbon can go through the holes. The box is shown all around. The ribbon is removed and then the drawer of the box is slid open to reveal a solid block of clear plastic filling the drawer. Everything can be examined--and nothing can be found as nothing is gimmacked! Just clever thinking!

Check the dealers! I really like the trick.

Enjoy the search.

Regards,

Paul Green
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Quote:
On 2007-08-10 09:46, darkdean wrote:
I do believe that Garret Thomas has a super routine using this item and its worth checking out his handling.

He does have a killer handling of the Matchbox Penetration which can be found on Inside The Mind of Garrett Thomas Volume 3 called Brass Block. It states in the product description that it's worth the price of the three-disk set, and it really, truly is. I perform it at my regular strolling gigs all night and it never fails to get audible gasps, yelps, cheers, laughter...you get the idea.
darkdean
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of darkdean
Crystal clear sounds wonderfull too and I will go in search for one.

Thank you

Dean
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
My brass block is silent and tight but I don't squeeze the box or open it for the spectator. I have been accused of palming the block and secretly putting it into the matchbox too many times. After the penetration I say, "not impresses? Oh wait, there is something in here!" and I rap the matchbox on the table about two or three good times and then hand the matchbox to the spectator letting them open it.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
meyegr
View Profile
Special user
Only able to muster
800 Posts

Profile of meyegr
I have a version that uses a clear glass block - makes no noise and is examinable since it is just that - a piece of glass.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I would gues sthat vanishing the brass block at the very end of the routine might be anice clean finish.

Can't wait to start perfomring this effect again after letting it sit on the shelf, un-used for so many years.

Thanks to all who have contrivuted their thoughts and insights onto this inspiring thread.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Steve Cook
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Steve Cook
Check out Roy Johnson's 'Matchblock'. It has a triple climax and some very funny
patter. Beautifully structured routine. A real gem!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2007-10-22 14:14, Steve Cook wrote:
Check out Roy Johnson's 'Matchblock'. It has a triple climax and some very funny
patter. Beautifully structured routine. A real gem!

Steve

Where is Roy Johnson's routine in print?

Thanks in advance

Julie
lukeko
View Profile
New user
Northern Virginia
27 Posts

Profile of lukeko
I love this effect. Sometimes there is a bad piece in a group, but usually they will do an exchange for you depending on the shop. I have used this before many times when I use to do table hopping, but it seemed to short and some folks expecting more even though confused. Since getting back into things I have added a little extra to the effect that has worked quite well for me.

Short and quick... I do a signed bill vanish that reappears in the box under the block with visible punctures through it after the toothpick goes through to add even more confusion and "how did it get through the block??" replies and "how did the bill end up in there as well??" This adds an to their souvenir (really them getting there own money back but with the holes now in it and such.)

This does take some good extra sleights and takes away from the self-working part, but it has gotten great reactions from my spectators. I still like the matchbox trick by itself as it does stump folks, I just found it too quick and wanted to see if I could add more.

-Luke
I do not envy the magician that knows 10,000 tricks... I envy the magician that practices one trick 10,000 times.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Julie,
It can be found in Pure Gold by Roy Johnson.
magiccop1
View Profile
New user
Right Here
35 Posts

Profile of magiccop1
The best version was made in Italy. You can hand it out without detection.
"The Enforcer"
"I'm not a Wizard. Are you Happy ? You should be."
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
479 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
Does anyone know where you can purchase a duplicate solid brass block to switch out for the brass block that comes with the Matchbox Penetration?

Thanks...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Matchbox penetration (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL