The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Name this illusion, please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gemeanii
View Profile
Regular user
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now....
161 Posts

Profile of Gemeanii
On a recent trip to Albuquerque, I dropped in on one of my favorite Magic Shops. I was invited to "find a treasure in the Treasure chest" as a bonus to my purchases. I selected what appeared to be a rather old, very well made, stage illusion involving a couple of large Jokers. The prop consists of three parts (excluding the cards). First, a red hand held table about 6" x 8" draped on three sides with a 5 inch skirt (there is a gaff underneath that could be intended to be viewed at some point in the performance). There are also two yellow wooden cards just a bit bigger than the Jokers, one is gaffed.

The prop needs just a tiny bit of repair, and it's so well made it just seemed a shame not to give it a good home. I'm sure I can fabricate several ways to use it, but it sure would be nice to know the original routine.

I would really appreciate knowing anything about this illusion, name, originator, and performance if anyone can help. I have a picture that I could send if necessary.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve Gemeny
The Great Gemeanii
[email]steve@gemeny.com[/email]
www.gemeanii.com
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
It's called "Backstage". Vanish the card (on mine, it's a queen), then "show" the audience how it's performed by letting them in on a backstage view of the card dropping through the trap door...then the sucker part of the effect when you repeat it and remove the drape, showing the card has actually vanished. I use a sand frame to reproduce it, having shown it empty beforehand. Nice prop, depending upon the maker. Could be Abbott's.

Steve
Gemeanii
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Gemeanii
Steve,

Thanks ever so much for the information. Seems to me, as I think about it now, there may be several deliveries to choose from. I'll do my minor repair to the gaff under the table and see how it plays out.

One other question comes to mind...on my prop the curtain is red, but the gaff has a black background... That just seems wrong to me, as if someone re-did the original black curtain with a new red one (non removable, BTW), potentially spoiling the effect.

Any thoughts on that?

Steve
Steve Gemeny
The Great Gemeanii
www.gemeanii.com
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
The curtain is NOT removable? That's strange...the climax to the routine is when you take the curtain away. Mine attaches with tiny metal snaps (the old kind), but I've seen them with Velcro, too. That is unusual...AND the fact that the lining of the drape doesn't match the gaff... Hopefully, you mean the part AROUND the card on the gaff, right?

Steve
Gemeanii
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Gemeanii
Oops, hadn't noticed the Velcro. Yes, the curtain is removable...and, yes, the gaff is black around the card... Seems I need to make a new black curtain.

Steve
Steve Gemeny
The Great Gemeanii
www.gemeanii.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Name this illusion, please (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL