The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and ball junkies (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
WoodRat
View Profile
Loyal user
California
233 Posts

Profile of WoodRat
Hey JMAC,

Nice job. Love the bunny!

=D
Learn something new everyday.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Bunny load was wonderful.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Bunny production was rad!

johnny mystic
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
JMAC
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of JMAC
Thanks guys, It was last min thing, I was called to do something for the kids. I had less than an hour prep time.
jmac
John Cass
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of John Cass
Quote:
On 2007-04-10 17:40, pixsmith wrote:
If you are a Cups and Balls junkie, you need to check out Bob White's new DVD on the subject. It will send you back to work with them for a loooooong time. It's probably the best teaching DVD on the C&B to hit the market.

I think the trick is a classic, and for good reason.

Check it out.

I found that although this DVD is very informative, the material is presented in a disjointed manner. Also, the historical references are off. He has Hoffmann as a writer in the 1700's.

He would have done better if he'd had a script.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
One more junkie surfacing and acknowledging he is one.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Quote:
On 2007-05-08 13:33, John Cass wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-04-10 17:40, pixsmith wrote:
If you are a Cups and Balls junkie, you need to check out Bob White's new DVD on the subject. It will send you back to work with them for a loooooong time. It's probably the best teaching DVD on the C&B to hit the market.

I think the trick is a classic, and for good reason.

Check it out.

I found that although this DVD is very informative, the material is presented in a disjointed manner. Also, the historical references are off. He has Hoffmann as a writer in the 1700's.

He would have done better if he'd had a script.

Really? I liked his manner of delivery. Sure, he goes off on tangents, but he always comes back and hammers his points home. The tangents are typically pretty interesting, too. I thought it was organized pretty well, the menu breaks things down so the information is easy to find. As for the historical references, they seem to be off by about 100 years or so, true - but no biggie. If you have those books on your shelf, you'll know this already. It certainly wouldn't cause any problems with learning the material taught. If the worst thing is the dates being wrong (rather than the sources), I think that's not a huge issue - and really, no one's going to fight over whether they invented a technique before Hoffman...

I'm a fan of this dvd because it's a no nonsense approach to learning. He doesn't teach a bunch of zany moves that you'll never really use. It's not an encyclopedia so much as it is Mr White teaching the routine he uses, and the building blocks that go into it. Practical is the word he uses, and I'd tend to agree. I think that this puts it ahead of some of the other sources out there.

I'm not a junkie yet, but I suspect I'm on my way...
tjo'
John Cass
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of John Cass
If it had been anyone other than Bob White, would you have accepted that kind of work? In the review of the DVD, the first poster praised the production value and the organization. That's ridiculous.

Bob White is part of that North Texas underground group that counts Roger Klause among its members. They have a "mine doesn't stink" attitude about everything they do. He went in thinking he could wing it, and he blew it. Bob's DVD on Card Palming was brilliant. He did it very well. This one was not so good. All of it could have been prevented by a little bit of attention to detail.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Hi John - I actually didn't know much about Bob White other than his Torn and Restored Tissue dvd. Guelph, Ontario's a long way from Texas! There was no "rep" that I was aware of to influence me, if you know what I mean. I ordered the dvd because I was looking for something "practical" and it had that word in the title and had read favorable reviews.

I understand what you're saying - but I felt that there was enough good information on this dvd that it made up for some of the chronological errors, etc. I'm willing to wade a little bit through books or dvds if I think the information contained within is worth it.

I will probably get his dvd on Card Palming eventually because I do like this one and the Tissue one. Maybe after viewing the Palming one, I might understand what you mean by way of comparison.
tjo'
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
I just love the cups & balls, does there have to be a reason?
I love watching it.
I love performing it.
I even love reading endless posts about it,(that was a joke).
So to sum up, I love it.
"But there isn't a door"
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2007-05-19 15:29, Coachman wrote:
I just love the cups & balls, does there have to be a reason?
I love watching it.
I love performing it.
I even love reading endless posts about it,(that was a joke).
So to sum up, I love it.

Welcome to the cups & balls addict club. Don't we all just love cups and balls magic.
WoodRat
View Profile
Loyal user
California
233 Posts

Profile of WoodRat
Yes,

The cups and balls fascination gets real bad sometimes, for example, at a restaurant waiting to order, instead of looking through the menu, I find myself working a two cup routine with our coffee cups before my wife "snaps" me out of it. Then of course, there is the bread roll zombie, but that's a story for another thread =D

Cheers!
Learn something new everyday.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Oddly enough, I can't stand watching "just another C&B routine", BUT, when it comes to ones like Tommy Wonder's, or a classic, like Veronons, or, well, just about any GOOD C&B routine, I LOVE it.

I am always working on mine and become obsessed with it. But I just can't stand watching most of the ones people do for some reason. Maybe just too much of the same thing. The effect in itself can be so repetative that when someone is just doing another C&B it exponentially increases the redundency when watching it.

Although it was the sequence that fried me when I was a kid and started my facination with the C&B, I just can't stand watching anyone stack the three cups with a ball on one, and it penetrates through, and then repeating with the other two.

There is occasionally someone who does it differently though.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Remember this. When you are performing the cups and balls, you will probably not be performing the routine for a roomful of magicians who have already seen the penetration sequence. Remember how you were fried by that sequence. Then try to elucidate that feeling in your audience.

When you perform any routine, it's not about how much YOU like it. It's about how much mystery and entertainment you can bring to your audience.

Practice your material until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I really love it. I'm more of a begginer, iv performed vernons routines for poeple at good success now I'm working on Ammars as I like the progression a little better.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2007-06-04 02:27, Bill Palmer wrote:
Remember this. When you are performing the cups and balls, you will probably not be performing the routine for a roomful of magicians who have already seen the penetration sequence. Remember how you were fried by that sequence. Then try to elucidate that feeling in your audience.

When you perform any routine, it's not about how much YOU like it. It's about how much mystery and entertainment you can bring to your audience.

Practice your material until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful.

I know Mr. Palmer. For most of my magic I do heed this advice, but for some reason it drives me nuts watching others do this.

However, what I have tried in my own C&B routine is to simplify everything and make it as straight forward as I could and as magical as I could.

I Liked Sean Farquah's small bit with this sequence as he does it with one ball, and also added his own twist to it.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
SeanD13
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, RI
263 Posts

Profile of SeanD13
Quote:

Bill,

Yet again you have given me something to really think about.

SeanD13
Have you hugged a Cup Junkie lately?

Learn more at www.CupsCon.com
"If We Build It Will you Come?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and ball junkies (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL