The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Wiz-kote and gumball machine? Too similar? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
I'm looking at getting either a gumball machine (CW or Ray Lum) or Jumbo Sidekick by CW.

But the thing is, I use the wiz-kote in my act, and I was wondering if the audience would think that doing the gumball machine and the wiz-kote in my show would be overkill?
In essence the plot to both are the same, you lose/burn an object, then eventually bring it back.

Am I over-reacting with thinking this, would the audience even make the connection?

Instead of the gumball machine, I might get a Jumbo Sidekick instead, good idea? Also, do CW still make these?

Thanks in advance

Sam Pearce
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
If I understand your grammar correctly, you're asking if George at Collector's Workshop still makes a Jumbo Sidekick II. Check the website, I think I read something about it yesterday.

I own the Wiz Kote, "Gumball" (that's what the CW model is called) AND a Sidekick II. I don't think I'd use the Wiz Kote and the "Gumball" in the same show. You really CAN'T go wrong with a Sidekick, though. I noticed they're putting it in a new plastic case now, too. Mine is one of the first "II" models, the ones with the remote AND sound operation, so it has the really tough case. A Jumbo Sidekick is a worthwhile investment! VERY worthwile. I've used it in stage shows for 2000 people, and in birthday party situations (that's right!) for 25 kids. Kills wherever it's used.

Steve
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Sam,
Your concern about the similarity of the two effects is a very valid concern. I think if you are doing a fairly lengthy show, maybe even a 'first half' and a 'second half' type program you could use both by working the remembrance of the first event into the second routine.
But if you use them both in one show, especially in a short show...be very careful to script it so it is obvious you see the similarity in the plots. "Oh no, its happening again! Twice in one night? Even for me that's impossible! I am so sorry,"
You don't want to just plow through the effects and hope the audience doesn't think of the two as the same trick done twice. How it is percieved and whether it is a strength in your show or a weak spot is going to be up to your show showmanship and creativity. Good luck and 'knock 'em dead"!
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
I have used both -- but in one show, unless you have some really tight scripting and back story to differentiate the two they are similar.

Gumball plays well for smaller audiences where the subjects reactions can be clearly seen-- while wiz-ote plays big, especially with the reproduction table and fire exringuisher.

Jumbo side Kick II is great "standard" magic with several variations available --

I prefer "Big Shot," in the same show, however if I must play against either Wiz-Kote or Gumball with another effect to transit an original spectator item to an unexpected location.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Wiz-kote and gumball machine? Too similar? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL