The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » A little annoyed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
WhiteAngel
View Profile
Loyal user
West Virginia, USA
269 Posts

Profile of WhiteAngel
"I make your paycheck in about three hours. Keep your "rea job". Wouldn't advise using that, but it shut my dad up!
True illusionists strive to decieve the eye AND the mind.....
durgy
View Profile
Elite user
Toronto
402 Posts

Profile of durgy
Thanks for all the different advice guys...

so last saturday I met another jerk... wow that's 2 in like 4 weeks. where are they all coming from? Now before you tell me perhaps I'm being rude to the audience and perhaps they're trying to get back at me, I assure you I treat my audience with the utmost respect and most of my audience enjoys the magic.

anyways, the last week jerk story goes like this in case your interested:

While performing for a bunch of teens who were enjoying it, I bust out the turn the 5 to a 100 dollar miracle. As Im going through my patter about the 5, this old fat man has the guts to say something along the lines of, get this:

your tie isn't worth that 5$...

so getting steamed I took the butter knife and jabbed it in his ear making him bleed.

actually that's what I wanted to do but instead I remembered this good old thread, ignored the b@stard and continued. I finished up and left the setting as I was no longer in my comfort zone. *sigh*

Durgy
https://www.durgyspade.com
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Durgy,
Where are you from? I'd like to make a HUGE note not to perform in your city...lol. Anyways, you did the right thing, as much as you wanted to skewer the fat b@stard. It amazes me what people think gives them the right to spout off like that. I wonder if there have been any behavioral studies done on this. It would be interesting to research.
Patrick
durgy
View Profile
Elite user
Toronto
402 Posts

Profile of durgy
Quote:
On 2007-04-25 11:35, patrick flanagan wrote:
Durgy,
Where are you from? I'd like to make a HUGE note not to perform in your city...lol. Anyways, you did the right thing, as much as you wanted to skewer the fat b@stard. It amazes me what people think gives them the right to spout off like that. I wonder if there have been any behavioral studies done on this. It would be interesting to research.
Patrick

Hey Patrick
I'm from Toronto, Canada. Generally speaking it's a polite country and all but I'm sure even heaven has it's lil devils.
https://www.durgyspade.com
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Carly Hurley once said, "I don't know when I'm going to be working, I don't know where I'm going to be working, I don't know who I'm going to be working for, and I wouldn't change it for anything."

It's really unfortunate that you had to put up with people like that, but keep in mind that it happens to all professionals.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Where do they come from? Anonymity.
They are there for a short while, they do not know you, and as a result there is likely little consequence of any verbal action on their part. Excuses used are alcohol/drunkeness, bad day at work (who made me/you the dog they want to kick?), or just a bad or ill tempered person who is out to prove it, among others.
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I had a real job, but I gave it up.
Now I do whatever I want to do, whenever I want to do it.

Jim
Clownboy
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Clownboy
After much thought I have come to this conclusion:

A Proud man will defend his honor not caring whom he hurts.

A Humble man will graciously leave holding others above himself.

But a true entertainer... He will take the bitter statement made and return it packaged in a great routine so all can enjoy its value. (Example - "Funny you should say that, That's exactly what they told my Grandfather who was also a Magician....." Then enter into a killer routine for a finish)

Just My outlook of it all.

Regards,
Brad
As the Frogs say "Times Fun when you're having Flies" Smile
EvanZ
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of EvanZ
Todays society is filled with tons of little brats running insulting people because it makes them feel powerful.
My being around teenagers just about 24/7 I'm just amazed at what people sometimes say, I literally want to run up to them, slap them, and say what in the world possessed you to say that!?!
Hopefully this generation will fade out soon.
EvanZ
magic4ewe
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of magic4ewe
Durgy~ I always believe in taking the higher road, especially when in any professional situation. You have to remember, that if you do -- she is the one that looks bad, not you. Better to vent here or to a friend than to ever vent to a customer -- not that I am implying you were anything but professional in the situation, just making a general statement to all. Always hold yourself up and be the better person.

Evan, the same thing holds true for kids/teens. D was just writing a scholarship paper on the subject about "How can you change the world". In it she talked about volunteering and being a mentor to younger children. In a world that is sometimes spiraling out of control, it is amazing what a difference you can make by just staying positive and being a good role model. Just be a young gentleman and let others follow your lead.
chan316
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of chan316
Hello all

In regards to performing for a guy and a girl, when the guy is pointing out "how" its done to try and impress the girl, I had this situation a week ago. My way of dealing with this was to have a card selected by the girl, knowing she wouldnt be difficult in replacing the card where I told her, I did a long flashy card flourish (women love flourishes), then removed the card from my top pocket. Knowing the guys insane theory would kick in, he nicely said "While you was watching him do them fancy moves, I saw him put it in his top pocket", to which I nicely moved my left hand, to show I infact, had no top pocket!
In his silence, I shook the girls hand, thanked her for letting me perform for her, and moved on.

In regards to people being rude, I personally wouldn't tell them there being rude if its in a prefessional environment. But there are certain one liners you can say before walking away. There are always going to be difficult or rude spectators, and you just have to come up with a way to deal with it, without being rude yourself.

Chan
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
A common phrase where I live is "Give them the Gas Face" I think that's what I would of done to the tie remark. The "Gas Face" is the face someone makes when they smell something bad. It is identical to the face that you would make when someone says something stupid, ridiculous or out of line. So next time just give em the "Gas Face"
chr!s
View Profile
Regular user
newcastle
163 Posts

Profile of chr!s
' I have a real job'

'oh,i used to have one of those but I hated it.'

that would be my response.

chr!s
"you can't see your own rub-a-dub..."
-richard sanders
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
"I have a real job."

Response: "And I have an UNREAL job! Yours suits you, mine suits me! The best of all possible worlds! Pick a card, would you?"

To the guy who made the comment about the tie not being worth $5: I usually have a $10 on me somewhere. Just produce it FROM the tie, smile and say, "Really?" Do Cash Ladder, or a bill switch routine.

It's not one-upping, it's playing INTO their lines and letting them HELP your routine along.

THANK them afterwards for the assist, too! Be honest about thanking them for HELPING you with the set-up lines.

YOU look like a Great Guy to everyone else, they look like they were "in" on it and the person being a pain may not even get that they've just been HAD.

Just another take on the situation...

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Okay my favorite annoying guy story:

Stopped at a party my Dad was having. I was in my magic outfit. My Dad and his wife are into real estate big time now. So this was a business - social setting. I did some magic for a little while, the crowd was digging it and this was a very upper income group. (a lot of new money people)

So after my set I was standing in the kitchen of this penthouse with my wife talking. A very red faced "Ted Kennedy look-a-like" a little drunk (What do you expect from Ted?) walked up to me and said:

"Are you the magician?"

I said "yes I am"

"Shouldn't you be #$%@ working"

I said: "actually I am Les's son and I don't have to do #$%@ing I don't want to do, BUT if you would like to see some magic I will be happy to show you some" Smile

I then wowed them for about 10 minutes and the guy walked over to my Dad and told him what a great guy I am.

2 weeks from now I am doing his Granddaughter's birthday, big party. Big Money.

Now was it over board? To the casual observer it would seem so. This guy was the executive alpha dog and he thought he could order me around like a servant, and I was not going to take it.

Yes I told my Dad about it. He thought I did the right thing. Would it be the right thing to do all the time, probably not.

Mark Byrne
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
That's why you are 'Bad to the Balloon' ...I guess...Smile

Best
Rich
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2007-06-23 01:41, Bad to the Balloon wrote:

[Rude guest said]:"Shouldn't you be #$%@ working"

I said: "actually I am Les's son and I don't have to do #$%@ing I don't want to do, BUT if you would like to see some magic I will be happy to show you some" Smile

I guess you burst his balloon. Now I understand your Café name. (grin)
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
My own, personal, rules for working a strolling gig (your mileage may vary):

Show Up On Time, Dressed and Ready To Work

Check Your Ego At The Door

Be Nice - If The Customer Is NOT Nice, Be NICE Anyway
If the Customer Is Not Interested, THANK THEM and Walk Away, Politely.
If the Customer Is Abusive - WALK AWAY (get a manager, if necessary - dealing with this kind of thing is THEIR job, not mine!)

PERFORM As MUCH As Possible!

Have Fun - Make Sure The Guests Do, Too.

KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN and HELP Management If You See Something that Needs Attention.

Stay on Good Footing With Management At ALL Times.

Pick Up Paycheck.

Go Home.

That about sums it up.

Anything else is mere technique.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Nice post, Lee. Lots of words of wisdom there.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » A little annoyed (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL