The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Help with Children's Message (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynomite Magic
View Profile
New user
Grand Rapids, MI
40 Posts

Profile of Dynomite Magic
Hello Café Friends,

I've been asked to present a Children's Message in our church for this coming Sunday. I've never performed Gospel Illusions in my own church before, so this should be an adventure.

The Message is on John 20:24-31
The story is entitled, "Jesus appears to Thomas"
It's about how Thomas had to see Jesus' hands and the gash in his side in order to believe that it was really him (that was there after dying). He didn't believe that Jesus rose from the dead.

My ideas (so far):
- Something along the lines of the popular phrase, "I'll believe it when I see it!"
- I saw a play in which one of the characters talked about Santa Claus. (The Easter Bunny or The Tooth Fairy could be used as well) The actor described how children believe in Santa Claus. Children don't see Santa put the presents under the tree, but they still believe that it was Santa that came down the chimney and put them there.
* I probably wouldn't want to use this in church, but the point is you can believe or have faith in something or someone without actually seeing it. I've never seen God in front of me, but I believe in Him more than things that I CAN see.
- I would start the Message by telling the kids that I'm going to do an amazing trick (like make a scarf disappear) and see who believes me. I will then make the scarf vanish and ask the same question. "Raise your hand if you believed me when I said that I could make the scarf disappear. Now, raise you if you had to see me make it vanish before you believed me."
Then I will talk about Thomas and how he had to see Jesus' wounds before he believed that it was Him.

The key verse in this passage is:
"Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

*** I could really use some advice and help with this one.

I don't have time to buy any specific Gospel Tricks, so ideas using general props (silks, change bag, thumb tip, hank ball, slush powder, etc.) will be the most helpful ones.

-Also-

- This will take place during our Modern Service, however, some of the congregation members may still be opposed to "magic tricks" in church.
- This means that I need a trick that isn't too "flashy" and a powerful message that's "rock-solid".

If you have an idea that you do not want posted on the forum, please PM me with the info.

Thank you very much!

In Christ,
Jeff
Tony Brent
View Profile
Regular user
Orlando, Florida
156 Posts

Profile of Tony Brent
Jeff,

What effects do you currently do or have? I can possibly come up with a script for you. I had just read that scripture tonight as part of a series we are doing!
Blessings,

Tony Brent
Outta Control Magic Show
Orlando, FL
Dynomite Magic
View Profile
New user
Grand Rapids, MI
40 Posts

Tony,

Thank you for responding. I have decided to do my third idea.

-Third Idea-

"I would start the Message by telling the kids that I'm going to do an amazing trick (like make a scarf disappear) and see who believes me. I will then make the scarf vanish and ask the same question. "Raise your hand if you believed me when I said that I could make the scarf disappear. Now, raise you if you had to see me make it vanish before you believed me."
Then I will talk about Thomas and how he had to see Jesus' wounds before he believed that it was Him."

Let me know what you think about this
- I would start the Message entitled "Believe It or Not" by showing the kids "The World's Most Amazing Trick". I completely exagerate, build the suspence, etc, etc, etc. Then I do the trick (coin vanish under a handkerchief for example) and after the coin vanishes, everyone hears and sees it fall to the floor.
- This will lead the kids to believe that I cannot do sleight of hand, magic tricks, etc. If they start out believing that I can do it, my message and point will be... well, pointless. They will assume that the next trick, "The Vanishing Scarf" is another silly trick that I'll mess up.
* My problem with the coin vanish is that our church is carpeted, so they won't hear the coin fall, and will probably not see it fall, even if I use a big coin. The kids will be seated in front of me, so I could pretend not to see it fall, and then let them tell me... and everyone else in the sanctuary. I don't if the gag would be heard by those in the back though.
(Any Suggestions?)

- I would then attempt to vanish the scarf in my hand. When I open my hand to show that it's "gone", it will fall to the floor. (once again, reinforcing that the second attempt will fail.)
Here's where I pop the question, "Who thinks that I can do it?"
"Raise your hand if you want to see it!" - I really vanish it, this time.

Then I go into the story of Thomas, and how he had to see, before believing.

Let me know what you think!

Thanx,
Jeff
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
Jeff
I use a color changing silk streamer. It changes from black to multi colored.

I start things off telling them that my wife always brings me a new magic trick when she comes home from shopping. I use a paper grocery bag from Kroger's, Biggs etc. I have it filled with silks and rope things that I may or may not use my program. After emptying the bag I tell them it is the bag that my new trick and it can change the color of this scarf. I have them call out their favorite color. Each time I place it in the bag it changes color but when I pull it out it is again black. I make a big deal about the silk changing color. Since I am the only one that sees it change color after 4 or 5 times of this, they begin to doubt that anything is happening. If they don't say anything I have my wife get things started. At this point you could talk about Thomas and finish with the reveal of the multi colored streamer.

ChrisG
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
Dynomite Magic
View Profile
New user
Grand Rapids, MI
40 Posts

Thanks ChrisG! It's fun to see the different tricks/presentations that go with this verse.
Jeff
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I have used the old gag of holding up a small ring, and asking if they believe that I could poke my head through this ring.

And after I show them how I can do it, I say, "Now you believe I can do it, don't you?" And go on to talk about Thomas.

It is a blast to see all the different avenues one can take!

RevJohn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Help with Children's Message (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL