The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » cruise ship routines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

trickster2000
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
286 Posts

Profile of trickster2000
I know of a cruise ship that is looking for magicians, but on the requirements it said some grand illusions... is there anyone that has performed on a cruise ship with small props, but played for a big crowd??
please let me know... thanks
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Cocoa, FL
388 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
Yes, I worked on cruise ships with an act using only small props. My audiences were about 500-800 people. Remember we are selling entertainment. It is not the size of ones props that make you good.

But, if the ship is requiring some grand illusions.... don't lie to them. Find out what they really want.

I have a good friend working for Holland/American and his act has small props and only about 5 tricks. Of course, he is a very funny guy and the audiences love him cause he knows how to work a crowd.

Let's be real, cruise ship work is not for everyone. It has it's pro's and con's.
Before you comment to that type of work, be sure to do your homework. It is not just the show but a lifestyle adjustment.

Steve Hart
Cape Canaveral, FL
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
Aedryan Methyus
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Aedryan Methyus
From what I understand trickster, it is a good idea to only take magic that can be performed surrounded.

Aedryan
the magic mercat
View Profile
New user
Under the sea.
21 Posts

Profile of the magic mercat
With a fly on gig, what is the standard time needed for a routine? And how long would the contract last?
P.S. I like dots.....
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
So... do magicians just do one show for cruise ships? Or do you need to be able to do several different sets?
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Alex Reeve
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Alex Reeve
When I worked on cruise ships, I was supposed to do during a cruise, about an hour set, a 1/2 hour set and a short spot for the opening show and for the closing show. In short you should be able to do 2 hours total.

I've never used illusions. You should make sure that they know exactly what you're doing so there is no surprise.

If you want to use illusions, watch out for wheels. if you don't have stops on them and the ship is rocking, you'll spend your entire show running after your boxes.

You should be prepared to perform in any type of situation and even surrounded. It depends on the ship. Some have a fully equiped theatre and some you are performing on the dance floor.

You shouldn't use rabbits because it is seen as something that brings bad luck for the ship and the crew. For the same reason you shouldn't say the word "rope"

I hope it helps a bit
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Okay, I'll bite. What word do you substitute for "rope?"
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Alex Reeve
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Alex Reeve
instead of the word "rope" you can use the word "rigging" or the word "line"
YT
View Profile
New user
London, UK
24 Posts

Profile of YT
I like the nautical terminology. You could use "cord" though?

Wouldn't there be quarrantine laws with doves and rabbits anyway?

Just some thoughts.

Kind regards, YT
Alex Reeve
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Alex Reeve
Yes, you could use "cord"

I don't work with animals so I can't really tell. All I can Say is that if you live in the UK then you will have trouble to go back to your country with your animal because of the laws in your country.

But I've seen magicians working with animals on board but the only problem was that because of space avalaibility they had to share their cabin with the animals.
When you know that some cabins are quite small!!
Aedryan Methyus
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Aedryan Methyus
Alex Reeve pretty much summed it all up. Everything that he mentioned, I have read in books on cruise ship magicians. Great posts.

I also understand that they want you to have a 10 minute silent act as well as to be prepared to have to perform your whole act to the orchestra music.

I know one magician who showed up his first time out and they told him that he had to perform the Metamorphasis in a tux that evening. Some cruise ships actually have some standard illusions on board such as the subtrunk to save on shipping.

I want to know who the genius is that started the whole surroundable stage thing. I hated it even when the bands started using them. Who wants to sit and look at a performers back the whole show? It makes our job pretty tough too as magicians.

Your brother in the art,

Aedryan
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
There is a GREAT Thread on the Cruise Ship Biz right here on this board!

Here is that link:

* Cruise Ship Routines: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......4&10

Hope that help in your quest for knowledge!

I am at your service and in His service,
Deano Smile
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
Right now Carnival has the fly-on performing a one hour show two times in one night. Early and late seating.

Then a 30 min show on another night around midnight. Must be different material and adult rated.

So that is only a hour and a half of quality stuff.

Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Murray Hatfield
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
150 Posts

Profile of Murray Hatfield
Hi All,

I've worked on a number of ships on several cruise lines and each one is a bit different and each has different requirements. Generally if you've got about 60 "A" minutes you're fine.

On most of the ships I've worked you do one feature show of about 45 minutes and possibly a 10-15 minute farewell show act. We carry 5-8 illusions (depending on the line) from sub trunk and mini kub zag to interlude and pole levitation. In 6 years of working on ships I've never had to perform surrounded although some ships have balconies that make for some tough side angles.

Generally these days ships in the major cruise lines (Princess, Holland America, Celebrity, RCI, NCL, etc.) have proper theatres with wings, curtains, backdrops, automated lighting and often video walls and other high tech amenities. It can be a benefit being prepared to use all of this.

Even if you do a smaller style of show I recommend creating and/or using routines that pack small/play big. Adding music and special lighting can make your show much more theatrical, although be prepared for the odd lightman who isn't happy about spending 15 hours lighting your show when you are only on for two weeks...

As for music - come prepared with well recorded and edited music on cd and md. The days of using the orchestras are pretty much over and some lines are even experimenting with ships that have no proper orchestra. Be aware in selecting the music for your show that you are often dealing with an older, more worldly clientel and they may not like the latest rap music or driving techno. I've heard of more than one act who got an early trip home for having a show geared to the Gen-X crowd on a line geared to 60-80 year olds.

Hope this helps.

Murray
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
This will be my first summer performing on a ship. I will post comments about my experience later on.
I work for this company: http://www.stenaline.com

Mats G. Kjellstrom
http://www.kjellstrom.info
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
Really good info guys, and thanks to those who are doing it and sharing it.
As the rappers say, respect.
Tried to link onto the threads mentioned by the dean, to no avail.
Any further help?
Thanks,
Vernon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » cruise ship routines (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL