The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Why poker size cards? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Led Heflin
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Led Heflin
I couldn't find a lot when I searched for this, so pardon me if it's been covered ad nauseum-- why is it that so many people recommend poker size versus bridge size cards? In the past, I received the opposite advice, and since I have fairly small hands, bridge size is much, much easier to handle. Is there a compelling reason to learn to deal with poker size? Is it just that they are much more common in impromptu situations?

Thanks!
Seamus
Let him borrow and return his handkerchief like a man, and trust to his sleight of hand.
<BR>
<BR>--Edwin Sachs
<BR>
<BR>http://www.myspace.com/ledheflin
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
It may be because special cards are made in poker size.
I think its mostly a convention, everyone else does it so we do !
I doubt the audience notice.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Actually, about half the time I borrow cards they're bridge sized.

One reason is that most gaffs are poker size.
Years ago most gaffs were of the Aviator style and bridge size.

IMO, learning with poker cards will make handling bridge sizes easier.
If you're not concerned with with gaffs and intend to use your own cards then by all means go with bridge sized cards.
cybersmudge1393
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of cybersmudge1393
I used to use bridge size when I started. If you want you can even make your own gaffs with bridge size following the martini grams video The art of card splitting. Wiith his lessons you can gaff any size card.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
The less attention to the "type" of cards you are using the better. For example, many of us purchased the Black Tiger deck when they first came out, a fun looking deck. Then we found that people were very suspicious of them because they were so different.

On the other hand, many people use the Bridge Size cards for the same reason you like them. Most spectators do not notice the size difference since the design is the same.

Another example would be, when the Kennedy Mind Power deck came out, many of us purchased the deck, even though we had perfectly good cards with that deck in the original style. Now we don't worry about the backs showing.

Bob
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
In some countries (like Taiwan) if you buy cards they are very often Bridge size so I tend to use them quite a lot. Nothing wrong with that. I prefer Poker size cards though purely because I have gotten used to them over the years.
michael_dodo
View Profile
New user
Australia
13 Posts

Profile of michael_dodo
In Card College Vol.1, Giobbi states that if you can learn magic with poker-sized cards then you can change to using bridge-sized cards for magic tricks as well, but if you use bridge-sized cards to learn magic with then it will be difficult to make the transition to poker-sized cards.
fless
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of fless
In europe, at least Sweden where I live, the normal size is bridge size. Furthermore, there is no "near-standard" back design that most people use, there are lots of different ones out here. I am a part-time poker writer, so I try to have some kind of poker image, thus I use bikes. I have to look around to find them though, and pay premium, $6-7 s pack or so. I have never seen bridge-sized bikes on the shelf here...
Led Heflin
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Led Heflin
Quote:
On 2007-04-23 03:13, Michael_dodo wrote:
In Card College Vol.1, Giobbi states that if you can learn magic with poker-sized cards then you can change to using bridge-sized cards for magic tricks as well, but if you use bridge-sized cards to learn magic with then it will be difficult to make the transition to poker-sized cards.

Makes sense, and thus I have been trying to learn new moves by starting with poker size. Unfortunately, some moves I just can't pull off with the bigger cards, like a one-hand cut-- they end up all over the floor! But I can do most everything else, so I'll just have to cut out a few specific moves with them, I suppose. Not as big a deal, I find, the more ways of doing things I learn. I'm just going to keep practicing with both sizes. And oddly, the couple of gaffed decks I have are bridge size. Interesting how different and non-standard cards seem to be in a lot of places.
Let him borrow and return his handkerchief like a man, and trust to his sleight of hand.
<BR>
<BR>--Edwin Sachs
<BR>
<BR>http://www.myspace.com/ledheflin
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Everything was bridge size 20 years ago. I'm not sure when it transitioned. If you never use gaffes, bridge size is fine.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Hi,

Firstly everyone uses bridge size cards. Because its easier to hold and palm. But when you grow and become perfect with the techniques you start to use poker size cards. Its very common in world and nearly every card magician used poker size.

I didn't exactly think why we use poker size but I think its like that.

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I use the best card for the cheapest price and compensate when needed.
Right now it's poker sized Bikes.
That's my reason.

Of course some times when "Everyone" recommends something what you are experiencing is the herd mentality. And sometimes it isn't. Individually we should trust the voice of experience, but not be hobbled by it. I think.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Why poker size cards? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL