The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Need Help with "Will the cards match?" Trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bobmcmathman
View Profile
New user
Arizona
43 Posts

Profile of bobmcmathman
Help!!! (Please)

I have performed Ammar's "Will the cards match" effect with business cards for several years for patients in the emergency room. They love it!

Now, I am interviewing for a job later this week and would like to be able to perform for prospective employers.

I have tried and tried and cannot come up with a phrase such as:

Give Bob the job

Will Bob get the job

Bob really wants this job

or some such.

Can anyone here help me:

1) Come up with a phrase using Ammar's 4-3-5-5 word lengths, or

2) Help me figure out how many cards would be necessary for a phrase such as "Will Bob get the job?"

Thanks so much. I'm really counting on you guys (and gals).
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1144 Posts

Profile of TomasB
Ammars?

Anyway, at each stage when the packet has N cards you need a word of length (N-1) + mN where m is an integer >= 0. So for a five card packet "Bob's the right man" would work.

/Tomas
bobmcmathman
View Profile
New user
Arizona
43 Posts

Profile of bobmcmathman
Thanks, TomasB

Ammars as in Michael Ammar's? Business card magic?

I'm not following your formula, however. For "will the cards match?" the N would be 5,4,3 and 2 as each card is eliminated. I'm not sure how you choose m, but I know for the same series the value of [(n-1)+mN] is equal to 4,3,5 and 5 for the phrase "will the cards match." Simple algebra then tells me that m was 0,0,1 and 5 at each step, respectively, but how did you get that?

In other words, How can I know at each step, given N cards left, what length words will work?

PS: I like your phrase "Bob's the right man," but do you think I'd be pushing it to use "Hire Bob right now!"
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
463 Posts

Profile of rgranville
Bob,

The trick has been around forever - it certainly predates Ammar's presentation with business cards - which does NOT take away from Ammar's presentation in any way.

Anyway, to answer your question, it doesn't matter what value you pick for m - as long as it's an integer (no fractions). so let's say you're starting with five cards. So n = 5 and n - 1 = 4. We know a word of 4 letters will work. Using the formula (n - 1) + mn, that means m is 0.

But what if m = 1. Then we have (5 - 1) + (1 x 5) = 9. Yes, a 9 letter word will work as well as a 4 letter word. Try it for yourself.

And the same is true if m = 2. (5 - 1) + (2 x 5) = 14, and a 14 letter word also works - mathematically that is. Try a 14 letter word and you'll see eyes glaze over in your audience...

And of course, after you eliminate a pair, you have 4 cards in each packet, so n = 4. But it still doesn't matter what m is equal to.

For those who care, this is modulo arithmetic.

As for how aggressive you should be, that's something you have to decide for yourself, based on how the rest of the interview has gone and how you believe the people interviewing you will react.

And a final aside to my fellow math geeks here: Yes, I know the parentheses I used are superfluous due to associativity and the fundamental order of operations. But I thought their use makes the presentation clearer to non-geeks.

:banana:
bobmcmathman
View Profile
New user
Arizona
43 Posts

Profile of bobmcmathman
Thanks, rgranville

I think I see it now. I read somewhere else that this idea originated with Larry Becker. Does that sound right?
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
This is a lovely effect - It always seemed to me to be tangentially related to The Gilbreath Principle - And I stress the word tangentially!

There are some nice variations of this effect published in 'Apocalypse' magazine...
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Just for the record: Larry Becker's Will The Cards Match became popular shen I published it in APOCALYPSE so many years ago. Ammar had NOTHING to do with it.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
tltq
View Profile
Regular user
east coast
161 Posts

Profile of tltq
Quote:
On 2007-04-30 13:00, bobmcmathman wrote:
Help!!! (Please)

I have performed Ammar's "Will the cards match" effect with business cards for several years for patients in the emergency room. They love it!

Now, I am interviewing for a job later this week and would like to be able to perform for prospective employers.

I have tried and tried and cannot come up with a phrase such as:

Give Bob the job

Will Bob get the job

Bob really wants this job

or some such.

Can anyone here help me:

1) Come up with a phrase using Ammar's 4-3-5-5 word lengths, or

2) Help me figure out how many cards would be necessary for a phrase such as "Will Bob get the job?"

Thanks so much. I'm really counting on you guys (and gals).

This may not help the original poster , but I will post it anyway

Good job by Bob

Will Bob amaze customers

Will Bob boost sales
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Need Help with "Will the cards match?" Trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL