The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The best performance DVDs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TV Magic Pal
View Profile
New user
Dogtown up in the 'Lou
62 Posts

Profile of TV Magic Pal
I am looking to pick up a few performance DVDs. I am not looking for the easy stuff to find (no Angel, Blaine or Copperfield suggestions), but some of the hidden gems of performance out there. The rules are performance only... I want to recapture the fun of watching, legal copies, DVDs not downloads (and Region 1 DVDs at that) and as long as it is a good performance I don't care what the rest is (so if there is a Best of the Ed Sullivan Show out there with one Jay Marshall routine and 52 minutes of non-magic, that is fine with me). I am particularly looking for older stuff... I'm 34 so I missed the golden age of black and white TV, but I remember (and miss) the big 70's network specials.

his topic is here for lack of a better place. If the powers that be feel it belongs somewhere else then by all means, wave your wands and make it vanish!
Michael L.

Magic is a lie. It is our job to convince the audience to overlook the lie and our goal to make them embrace it.
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Hi,

If you are interested on old magicians you must watch Richard Ross. He had great acts with Linking Rings. You can find the tapes or Dvds from stevensmagic eaisly.

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
"Denny & Lee Live At The Wells Theatre" is a performance-only DVD of the signature show that Denny Haney performed around the globe for 30 years. His handling of the Malini egg bag is considered to be one of the best in the business and he also does the multiplying bottles, Anderson newspaper trick and others. It's a master class in showmanship and runns around 55 minutes. You can order it from his magic shop, which you can find a link to on the Magic Café forum index.
TV Magic Pal
View Profile
New user
Dogtown up in the 'Lou
62 Posts

Profile of TV Magic Pal
Thanks, guys. I never even considered that Denny might have a performance video out.
Michael L.

Magic is a lie. It is our job to convince the audience to overlook the lie and our goal to make them embrace it.
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
Jeff McBride has Abracadazzle! which was a performance taped in Atlantic City and McBride Mask, Myth & Magic 1993 World Tour videos.

Meir Yedid also has videos of 1990 and 91 NYCAN and Abbott's Highlight Videos from 1992, 1993 and 1994.
Jay Austin

http://austin-computer-solutions.com/
Hire a tech, not a geek.
Led Heflin
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Led Heflin
Does anyone know where to find even older footage? Anything from the early 20th century, maybe? A friend of mine recently acquired one of Houdini's films on DVD, although it looks like an early B-movie rather than anything performance-related. There must be films of some of the greats out there. I'd love to see some of the performers I've been reading about who performed in the earliest days of film.
Let him borrow and return his handkerchief like a man, and trust to his sleight of hand.
<BR>
<BR>--Edwin Sachs
<BR>
<BR>http://www.myspace.com/ledheflin
TV Magic Pal
View Profile
New user
Dogtown up in the 'Lou
62 Posts

Profile of TV Magic Pal
I would love to get releases like that as well. I tried to obtain the rights to release one of Houdini's serials a couple of years ago but the only holder of a complete set of footage refuses to sell one of the reels! I am beginning to think that he doesn't actually have it... As far as I know, there are no complete copies of the serials (only movies edited from them and a few rare re-issue versions of the serials that were shortened by over an hour) available on video. I'd like to know what your friend has, though, if you can find out where he scored it...
Michael L.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The best performance DVDs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL