The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » New trick Andrew Mayne's Bisection (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cyclone
View Profile
New user
USA
52 Posts

Profile of Cyclone
This sounds interesting.

http://www.hanklee.net/hotlist/index.html

Andrew Mayne, creator of Facelifter and Shock-FX presents a brand new effect for the solo illusionist. At any time during your show make half your body disappear in a fraction of a second. Just as quickly as your body vanished, it returns. Perform it anytime, anywhere. There's even a way to perform it surrounded. It's a perfect effect for the street magician or stage illusionist. Included are step-by-step instructions for building the apparatus and performing the effect.

Total time to build the effect: 20 minutes.

Total cost to build: $10 (or less) (60.1102)

$15.00
I'm Your Daddy
Liyao
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Liyao
WOW!!! Seems interesting.... please post some review about this product...
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
I have corresponded with Andrew in the past & have always found him to be a pretty decent person, if you are refering to the demo on his website it seems pretty clear to me what the effect is.
tommy k
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of tommy k
You can read several more comments on this effect if you go to "Bi-section" by Andrew Mayne on the first page of stage illusions on The Magic Café.

It is well thought out and takes some practice but it is a great effect if applied right. I love doing it!
The Wicked Mr. Grey
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
177 Posts

Profile of The Wicked Mr. Grey
This effect can be good or bad. It is extremely good if it is built properley and of thin, light materials and if it performed fast. I mean lift up coat, bring it back down and remain invisible for maximum of 5 seconds, bring the coat up again and reappear. I love performing it. I only do it on stage as a quicke sort of interlude... and usually have my angles very controlled so no messing up. The effect took me about a week of practicing (one hour a day, five days a week) to get it perfectly smoothly and fast. If done when spec's are in the right state of mind... very very good.

As for the concept... haha Sneaky Andrew style as usual. What else can you expect?! The materials might have to be purchased. I improvised and used other stuff to achieve the same effect. As for ease of performance, well it's easy once you've got the hang of it. This is much like Airtight in the sense that you have to be quite bold to perform it on the street. I don't, so I can't comment on its effectivness in that medium.

Overall, a great effect. Worth the buy.
What you have seen this evening was real, though it may have nothing to do with reality.

A Life Among Secrets
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
I have it, use it, and its gets a solid reaction. I am working on a differnt themed routine for this illusion. Well worth the 15 dollars or so that it costs.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sounds like to much money for an idea. And no detailed explaination plans on materials. Your audience "must be in the right state of mind". Just what state is that? The magicial world of make believe.

You have to do in less than 5 seconds. Why? Will the audience see something or catch the method that eaisly.
The Wicked Mr. Grey
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
177 Posts

Profile of The Wicked Mr. Grey
Quote:
On 2004-04-03 16:33, wmhegbli wrote:
Sounds like to much money for an idea. And no detailed explaination plans on materials. Your audience "must be in the right state of mind". Just what state is that? The magicial world of make believe.

You have to do in less than 5 seconds. Why? Will the audience see something or catch the method that eaisly.

By this I mean that If you perform Bisection by itself it will be confusing and it will go over the audiences head and they will be thinking "What just happened?!" (in a bad way.) It may even look silly. But if it is done in context then it can be bewildering. Example, If you perform a rope through body (for a small scale thing) and then Bisection it will have a better imact. Or you could talk about how you can pass through solid objects and perform bisection as a demonstration and then go into something like Windshear. Now that's what I'm talking about. Haha... Do you get what I'm trying to say?

Quote:
On 2004-04-03 16:33, wmhegbli wrote:

This illusion is not meant to be a Fearson Sawing in half where you can 'openly' display you 'severed' body. It is simple to figure out if you look at it for a longer period of time. This is why it should be performed fast.

Also when I say five seconds I mean that you should display the dissapeared portion of ur body for no more than five seconds. The jacket covering and uncovering at the beginning/end are not included. When I perform this illusion I susually do it under 13 seconds (5 of those being the displaying itself.)
What you have seen this evening was real, though it may have nothing to do with reality.

A Life Among Secrets
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
There is a video of a guy performing this on sleight geek. It looks awesome.
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
I just bought this and I think it looks cool. My wife likes the way it looks too. I haven't had a chance to perform it though, but I think it will be a good addition to my show.
JeffWampler
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, TN
191 Posts

Profile of JeffWampler
I bought bisection a few months ago...i improved the gimmick a little to make the illusion faster...total cost - $8.38 plus the $15 for the manuscript...

it's been said before, but I'll say it again, it can be performed surrounded, but I personally choose not to...5 seconds sounds quick but it is a loooooooong time for the display...

here's a tip for you guys that have and those that plan on buying it and making the illusion...during the display, try "walking" forward a few steps...this looks eerie as hell...get your wife or some trusted friends to view it each way and see what they think, or either record yourself doing it both ways...i think you'll like the difference...
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
I just got this today so I haven't performed it. Looks cool so far though.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2004-04-13 10:21, Geoff Weber wrote:
There is a video of a guy performing this on sleight geek. It looks awesome.

Also, be sure to check out the video of the effect being done on Japanese TV show . The link is on Andrew Mayne's web site:

http://www.weirdthings.com/plans.htm
sniper1
View Profile
Veteran user
malta eu
343 Posts

Profile of sniper1
Also being a bit artistic on gimmick helps aswell . if you can form a bit of a spine and some innards out of papire mache and paint them to look like the real thing it helps in the audience reaction
THE MOST CRAZY MAGICIAN ON THE MALTESE ISLANDS
magicfest
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of magicfest
Would this be good to add into an interlude routine ?
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
I find this a very good effect. It can be done alone or combined with something else. Let your imagination go wild.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Avrakdavra
View Profile
Loyal user
The Pine Tree State, USA
224 Posts

Profile of Avrakdavra
I don't think this would have any particular affinity for an Interlude routine; the sliced-in-half premise would not be consistent with a through-the-middle penetration, per se.

Like Jeff, I also have found that advancing a "step" or two forwards (especially with some slight accompanying movement of the hips)enhances the effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » New trick Andrew Mayne's Bisection (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL