The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » "Best YouTube card trick yet" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqlrb8PrUqs

Worth a look; perhaps the climax echoes some sentiments that many of us share.

Cheers,

Chris
MagicMarker
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of MagicMarker
I like it. I like irony. Using a typical YouTube like performance to
poke fun at typical youtube performances.

Something that struct me recently. Why can't any of these youtube magicians even find one spectator to play the part of a spectator. Anybody, a wife, girlfriend, brother, sister, friend, parent, stranger on the street.

Do these people ever leave their bedrooms? Do they have contact with any humans?

-Rd
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Great point Rd - you can usually tell the performer's quality/lack thereof just from seeing if anyone is actually present watching the 'performance'. An audience of zero is quite a giveaway, most of the time.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
The multiple layers of irony in this video are delicious:

First, the initial "Triumph" handling is rapid, jerky and generally full of convoluted moves meant to confuse the viewer, thereby "fooling" them.

Dai Vernon, the creator of "Triumph", is quoted as saying: "Confusion isn't magic."

Then we have the YouTube member (who posted the video) thanking John Bannon for creating "one of the best triumph routines ever".

Bannon's "Play It Straight" is indeed one of the better "Triumph" routines, but this 'magician' is obviously unaware of many of the important nuances that make it so great.

And, finally, the end reveal of this "Best YouTube card trick yet" makes the statement: "YouTube Magicians SUCK".

The 'performer' who presented this severely butchered version of "Play It Straight" is pretty sucky himself.

Irony. Ya gotta love it.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
I wholeheartedly agree, Thomas. Hilarious. I particularly liked, "back by popular demand" as well...
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Quote:
Dai Vernon, the creator of "Triumph", is quoted as saying: "Confusion isn't magic."

Dai Vernon, the creator of "Triumph" would be rolling over in his grave only if he knew.... oh only if he knew..
cosmicsecret
View Profile
Special user
Germany - Mannheim
504 Posts

Profile of cosmicsecret
First I thought, oh my gosh....metal music,a chair as a stage ...yet another youtube magic clip?And the climax wonderfull!I couldn't have said it better,thanks a lot for
the link.
greetings Jerry
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
If only he'd used the original music version by Iron Butterfly!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
John Heggie
View Profile
Inner circle
Huntersville, NC
1805 Posts

Profile of John Heggie
Some improvements to this parody would be:
- Adding patter, which narrated all of his moves.
- Whispering to the camera
- Hearing his dog bark in the background
- Hearing his mother calling him for dinner

:)
~John
Bob Clayton
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of Bob Clayton
Great ending. I was really tempted to turn it off half way through. Glad I didn't.
aiturran
View Profile
Loyal user
Santiago, Chile
260 Posts

Profile of aiturran
Hahaha!!
Remarkable!
Nice laugh at such a common mistake these days.

Thanks,

Antonio
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Now that's iven me a funny idea: a proper intentional parody of a YouTube magic clip. Trouble is I couldn't do it: I can't do the voice, for a start (like, inarticulate American teenager?)

Any takers?
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
MagicMarker
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of MagicMarker
Performing the 21 Card Trick Perhaps?
See how many comments you can collect explaining how it's done.

-Rd
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Thomas, would you recommend a more suitable performance of the triumph effect that can be seen on YouTube?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
All I can say is that Vernon is gone yet his magic still lives on. This for me is the most imprtant....
I do not blieve Vernon would be turning in his grave . Thomas Wayne made some excellent points Hopefully the magician that perfromed the effect will follow , but then again this is today not yesterday
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » "Best YouTube card trick yet" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL