The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Rate Sheets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TroyRoark
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield IL
282 Posts

Profile of TroyRoark
I see a lot of threads that say things like "How much should I charge for *blank*" It makes me wonder how many performers are or aren't working from a rate sheet.

I think it would be interesting to hear from a bunch of the pros out there if they think a rate sheet is important. How they would suggest developing a rate sheet. How to start if someone has never put one together, what to include, what NOT to include, etc.

I think this has some potential. I don't know how "pro" I am, but I'll chime in several posts down the line.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Preface the whole discussion with one consideration: I firmly believe any rate sheet should be "proprietary information" NEVER shared in its raw (uninterpreted) form with the public. I told everyone who asked that every quote is developed specifically for them, based on their particular needs and location and date.

That said, I started with a basic rate I could live with for each category of performance (this part is the subject of so much discussion on the forum, and you'll have to work out your own rates for yourself).

Then I used two main factors to add to the rate, or (rarely) subtract from it:

How far is it? (In my case, "outside the beltway" is a bit extra, unless I'm already going to be in the customer's area and want to give an incentive for a second show close to where I'm gonna be already). (Plus there were certain areas I decided I'd no longer go. I have a family, I don't need to dodge bullets or worry if my car would still be there anymore. I'd just tell callers from there that "I'm only licensed to do business in [my area]", which is true.)

How busy is the season? If bookings are sparse, I'd charge a bit less BUT I'd be sure the caller knew that my regular rate was $XXX, but I just might be able to offer her a $X discount if she'd make her decision today. On the other hand, Christmas/July4 etc are premium times.

Sometimes a third factor might be weighed: How much do I like the voice on the other end of the call? Someone disinterested, or snippy, or clueless, can have a show but they'd better be prepared to pay. A previous customer, or someone who sounds like fun, or someone who offers to make life easy for me before we even get to the price ("I thought I'd have it in the garage and you can do your show just outside it in the driveway", etc) gets a break.

But the client never finds out about the plus-and-minus factors, they just go into the final price I quote. If I reveal the "plus" factors especially, I believe it creates a negative impression that weighs against me when they call others ("Well, Mr. Stinky the $50 clown doesn't add $10 to travel 40 miles..."). If I reveal the minus factors, I fear it might make them feel toyed with, arbitrarily treated.

It might be revealing to post a "Can I afford your show?" page from my website:

1 — I OFFER SOMETHING WONDERFUL FOR EVERY BUDGET

All of my show choices (even the shortest) are complete party entertainment!
If you want a special 30 minutes, it's VERY affordable, and there's plenty of "WOW!" in even the shortest show (why pay for more than you want?) If you want something a little longer, or even a full hour, you'll find I GIVE YOU THE MOST FOR YOUR MONEY!

2 — I COST LESS THAN ENTERTAINING THE KIDS YOURSELF!
You save the money you would have spent on:
goodie bags ($1-$3 each X 20 kids = $20-$60),
a piñata with several bags of candy ($20-$30),
a moon bounce ($125+),
four or five pizzas ($30-$60) … add it up and see for yourself!

3 — "HOW CAN I AFFORD A BIG PRESENT AND A SHOW?"
Try it this way: THE SHOW IS THE BIG PRESENT! Your child will remember this special present for a lifetime! Long after the toys have been broken or outgrown, both you AND your child will cherish this memory!

4 — I WORK HARD TO MAKE YOUR DAY EASY (and let you relax and enjoy your child's special day!)
My job is to make the party easy for you, to give you the chance to share and enjoy your child's special day. Sometimes people seem a little intimidated by a performer. Please don't be … I'm easy to work with if you're easy to get along with (does either of us really need any more difficulty?)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOME FREQUENTLY-ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT PRICE:

"I just called a performer who charges less. Why do you charge a little more?"
They charge what they're worth, I charge what I'm worth. I give you much more.

"I also called a performer who charges twice your rate. What about him?"
I said I charge what I'm worth, but I'm not going to get ridiculous.

"But it's just an hour's work."
Nope. There's one more very important thing: almost 30 years of experience learning how to create some of the happiest moments you and your child can share!
What are your lifetime memories worth? Do you want the cheapest guy in town to provide them, or do you want the best? There are plenty of guys doing tricks they just bought at the magic store yesterday, who have no experience and no skill with children. Parents tell me they're very glad they chose me … it's just that simple.

If all you want is "the cheapest you can get," or if you're going to reserve me and then cancel when you find someone doing a lot less for $5 cheaper, I'm not the guy for you.

But if you want a reasonable price for SUPERIOR SERVICE, count on me to deliver!
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I charge consistent rates, but usually do not publish them in lead generation mailings or on my website.

(I mentioned this in another recent post... the reason I don't quote in my mailings, is that I find I book more shows by inviting them to call. I have the opportunity to sell them on "me". I find that a phone conversation helps to develop a better rapport, and that is part of my sales strength. It works for me.)

When a prospect calls, I know what to quote them, and have the rates sheet all ready to print to include in the follow-up materials.

I have consistent rates for certain school shows, certain church shows, certain event / festival shows, certain birthday shows, certain Christmas shows, etc. In some cases, I do charge different fees depending upon the audience size, and I know that at all times, as well.

If they live in an area that's further away, I can create a rates sheet for that, by factoring in the travel fee. They are quoted one complete fee, which I explain includes all travel, rather than quoted the show fee + a travel fee. I know what I charge for travel to all areas I get inquiries from, so I'm ready to quote a complete fee at any time.

I keep a copy of all quotes I mail out, plus notes of the phone conversation.

The headline on my rates sheet includes wording that indicates the quote is for a show in a certain area. I also include an expiry date on my rates sheet. If they wait more than 60 days to book, they have to call again for a current quote.

- Donald

P.S. I do not usually charge more for people who are rude / blunt with me on the phone. Most often, they can't afford my normal rates.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
TroyRoark
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield IL
282 Posts

Profile of TroyRoark
When I think of a Rate Sheet, I think of a piece of paper listing all of the different types of shows I do, along with specific prices per show. My Rate Sheet looks like this:

1 hour Show $XXXX
30 min show $XXXX
Walk around per hour (2 hr minimum) $XXXX
45 min School or Library Show $XXXX

These are my prices until I decide to change them, and when I change them, they are changed for good. I don't revert back to the old price, unless I quoted someone that price at an eariler date, or have offered a school a discounted price (see my Seasonal Discount thread for explanation.)

I also have a map with area shaded that will include travel costs for particular regions (ie 100 miles out $xxx, 200 miles out $xxxx, etc.)

To me, the biggest advantage to working with a Rate Sheet, as opposed to negotiating on the fly, is that it keeps you out of trouble when dealing with similar clients, and more importantly, agents.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
So, you are talking about a rate sheet specifically for your own use, to have by the phone? Covering all of the shows you offer. A handy reference.

As opposed to the rate sheet that you might send to a certain customer, as part of the follow-up materials, after a phone conversation? (When I was referring to rate sheets, this is what I meant. I have a different sheet for each of my markets, and sometimes for each different show.)

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Rate Sheets (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL