The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Getting Tips (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

totalmagic
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of totalmagic
I am 14 years old and have no Job, I am soon going to start doing shows but need some money to be able to buy a few more things. Does anyone have any good tips on how I can get monetary tips while doing magic?
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
You are 14.Did you ever think of getting a newspaper route,and doing a trick[or two or three] for your customers when you collect your weekly fees...might increase your tips...while you are learning all important people and business skills.This is much more respectful,and realistic than stopping people on the street.[if that is what you had in mind]

This would be also be a good opportunity to hone your magic performance..if you are serious about continuing in Magic.

Think creatively.

Best.
Rich
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
I second what was stated above. But if you are really good, your audience should tip...notice I said they should...not that they will. Just be patient. You are only 14. You've got nothing but time now to perfect your art. You don't want to give the impression that a tip is needed after a performance. That just makes you look like a beggar. My 2 cents. Spend it wisely.

:cheers:

Phil
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
davidjames69
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of davidjames69
You don't go collecting on paper routes any more. Smile
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
I would get the Switch Book by John Lovick and learn how to change the denominations of your money.
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
I'm going to 2nd what Phil has said, "You've got nothing but time." I personally honed the act that I travel with now in my high school hallways (and I continue to do so now in college). So I say perform when/wherever you can, especially while your young. As I've said, being in school, you are in a great position. That can be your toughest audience. I am of the belief that if you can impress that crowd, others come easier. In high school is where I received valuable info about dealing with hecklers, etc., as well as make your spectators want to give you the tip without ever hinting for it. They will just want to. As was said, it should never be deemed a requirement. You can only really learn the how's of magic by experimentation and doing. After all, what works for me may not work for you.
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2007-06-02 18:28, davidjames69 wrote:
You don't go collecting on paper routes any more. Smile

Really?
Are you sure it is this way nationwide?
If so, that is too bad.

Some of my greatest moments as an Honor Carrier [Newsday] was hunting down the deadbeats...getting them to pay up...and then getting them to pay on time.

Rich
antonio2030
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of antonio2030
Start doing some good tricks with some friends at school. When you have some lookers gathered around and they seem to be really hooked on, stop and say you have to go or something. When they say, "Noooo, one more," or so...charge 'em for it. LOL I sometimes do that... HAHAHA
Ryan_B_Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Sugar Grove IL
244 Posts

Profile of Ryan_B_Magic
You need to get money to buy magic tricks to do a show. You might want to borrow some money and then pay it back, but if you really want to do magic at 14, that is cool if you are good. Criss Angel did magic at 14 at a bar and got paid a lot, and I'm sure he worked his way up from having a little bit of tricks, doing them until he got money and then getting more tricks. All you should need is a deck of cards and some magic books, and learn some tricks.
Brady
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, CA
235 Posts

Profile of Brady
Here is a thought. In stead of buying tricks, why not go to the library and get a couple of magic books that teach manipulation and sleights with coins or cards? Of course, that would take some time and practice to learn. Those aren't the kind of tricks that can be "performed immediately out of the box." I know, Angel or Blaine haven't performed them on TV. What was I thinking?

Regards,

Brady
MinnesotaChef
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis,MN
176 Posts

Profile of MinnesotaChef
Befriend someone who's done magic for years. They'll have tons of the stuff you're looking to buy just lying around collecting dust. If you show you're serious and are going to stick with it, the stuff will start coming your way for free. As a bonus you might actually learn something from a real person as opposed to a video or the internet. That's the way it was done in the olden days.
"Great restaurants are, of course, nothing but brothels.There is no point in going into them if one intends to keep one's belt buckled."- Fredric Raphael
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
Get into circles of top magicians in your area. Watch, Learn, Ask...
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
sdorshan
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of sdorshan
I do not know what many of you are talking about. Fourteen is a great age to do magic. I do, and the being young aspect just adds to the amount of tips you get. At fourteen, I also do street fairs and kids parties, so a young age doesn't earn you can't do magic.

But this is only if you are good enough. And make sure you are busking and not doing "street magic"
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
I don't think any one is saying that he shouldn't do magic at 14. He asked what he could do to earn money to buy a few new tricks. The responses given to him were to seek out free methods of learning new material.
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
tony2514
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
162 Posts

Profile of tony2514
Absolutely. 14 is a great age to be, and a great age to do magic. I agree with many of the things already said:

Do tricks for you school friends (yes, they are the hardest audience you'll ever have - and the most honest) If they want more - charge them.

Any other activities you do that bring you in to contact with people (newspaper round is only one example) do a few tricks and be cheeky - ask for tips.

Are there any residential or day centres for older people in your area. These are great for a 14 year old. Older people love to be entertained by kids and teenagers and can be very generous.

One thing I would not recommend, though, is busking. I'm assuming that is what you are planning as you are in the Street Magic area. 14 is, in my opinion, too dangerous an age to busk on the streets. There are any number of punks, weirdos and bad guys out there who would see you as easy pickings or prey. Don't put yourself in that position until you are old enough and (please don't take this the wrong way) 'wise' enough to handle it. Teenagers often think they are invincible and we are reminded daily that they are anything but.

And finally, it is never the trick, it's the performance. Don't throw your time and money away on the next fantastic gaffe or gimmick the store or website has to offer. Learn the trade so that, if you need to, you can do a routine completely impromtu. Learn to be a performer and entertainer. When you can do that, you will be able to distinguish what tricks are worth spending your hard-earned cash on and not end up with a pile of cr*p like I did at your age.

Oh, and it's nice to see you here Drew. Last time I saw you was on Wizardmagicchat. How's it going with the new PK ring?
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Hi Tony!

It's been a while since I've been over to Wizard Smile

I don't really use the ring as I have never bought any of the accessories to go with it. I intended to, but never did. I wear it as my wedding ring, but only when I go out with my wife. She really supports my magic, but has grown quite weary of me playing with silverware when we go to dinner Smile
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
- a length of rope and some scissors
- a deck of cards
- three dixie cups and some rolled up paper balls
- four quarters

That's all you need to start making money.
MitchMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Quebec
277 Posts

Profile of MitchMagic
Don't, I repeat, don't rely on magic for your money at this age, you will probably be disappointed with the results. I'm not saying you will, but you might. You're young, enjoy your life, get a job, hand out a CV to some places, you might get hired, and you'll enjoy the experience.

Mitchell
Magic For Darfur
Save Us.
StevetheGreat
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis, IN
25 Posts

Profile of StevetheGreat
I have read the up to now commets. Go for it my friend do magic everywhere you are. You will get better with every passing performance and before your last trick tell everyone you need cash to continue your study and buy more tricks books ect and will be passing a hat around and that you would appreciate any money they could offer for their entertainment.

Your Friend Steve
Steven Smith Goodman
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Getting Tips (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL