The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Commando cloth vs velvet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of adam christopher
Is anyone on the board familiar with commando cloth, and if so can you tell the difference as compared to velvet on stage as drapes?
DAVE_ATLAS
View Profile
New user
Morganville, NJ
32 Posts

Profile of DAVE_ATLAS
Definitely go with the velvet. Commando cloth is basically just flocked paper. It has it's uses, but it's more of a a one time use sorta thing.

--Dave
Moth
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Moth
Commando cloth, aka duvetyne, (aka "duv"), aka velourette (though I only know one person who calls it that) is a bit sturdier than paper, in my experience. Comes in different weights.

As drapes, it's "flatter" than velvet, so it does tend to reflect a bit of light = however, this really depends on how far away from the audience they are, how fully they are gathered, what color you're using, and what you need them to hide.

They gather dust pretty quickly; are relatively durable (depending on weight) but don't look as nice as a velour or a velvet.

If you're looking to get that velvet LOOK without quite the price, I'd recommend a velour.

Hope this helps!
adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of adam christopher
Awesome moth! Thanks for the insight!!

-Adam
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Velour (or velvet) has an actual nape, which can give the material some serious weight and subsuquent lux appearance and feel, especially when lit with commercial lighting fixtures........Commando Cloth basically looks like a lightly flocked black material with not much body or weight. It's also quite stiff and difficult to make look good on stage.

Commando Cloth is about 1/30th (or more depending on where you live) the cost of even the cheapest velour curtains, and therein lies the primary difference between the two!
Moth
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Moth
Silverking is right, and I stand corrected -

Most of what you see and think of as "that's a velvet curtain" is really a velour - velvet is rarely used anymore (wonder if it ever was...) the fabric is made differently, but the look is very ver similar - esp. when you get into those weights.

WEIGHT IS KEY! Heavier means fuller-looking. I still think you can get away with a very heavy commando cloth "passing" as a stage drape, if from a distance. However, a lighter weight velour will look MUCH better for longer.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Just as a fast FYI,
whatever product you decide upon,
make certain it can be flame-proofed,
as this will most always be required.

Magically,
Walt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Commando cloth vs velvet (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL