The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Help with my pitch! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Love the ideas gents, thanks!

I went down today after church and did 2 more shows. The church gets some fat hats during offeratory lemme tell ya.

Near the end of my second show, the harmonica player pulled a knife on the guitar player because the shade moved and one guy moved into another guy's space. So, security started breaking things up and I moved on. I was juggling 3 Dube knives at the time and thinking to myself (as my crowd dissolved to watch the argument grow) how can I turn this into money? Smile I'm no hero though. I put my knives away so no one would think I was a part of the commotion.

Funny, that almost never happens in the restaurants! I did see a gun get pulled right outside of a Wings & Rings I used to stroll at. So it just goes to show that you can't get away from the crazies.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
4 more shows today! Here's a pic.

Click here to view attached image.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I like your table, though the angle of the photo makes it hard to see. Do you have enough room there or are you cramped up? Always aim for a "bigger" show if possible. Great post and a great pix.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Thanks for the thought, Gaddy! I built the table with indoor use in mind. I designed it for my "bunny out of hat" ending for birthday shows.

I made a total of 3 tops for it and have decided that this one works best for busking. One of the other tops has a compartment with a hinged lid, 6 slots for juggling clubs and 5 recessed holes for juggling balls. The last top is one like Peter Wardell used in crowd puller. No side walls; just plywood and cushioned felt. The whole thing folds up flat...decided to call it my "Kophi Table"...har har.

Here's a closer look at it.

Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Looks absolute beautiful! I like the idea with holders for balls and clubs. It looks professional and well thought out. You don't use a pouch then?

Great to hear about your vendure into the streets. I am workin ren faires all the time right now. Quite a big differens. But the pull and keep is the same. I know you're fighting, so am I. Smile

I had the same problem with my pitch and just wrote another one. Why tell them about what is your living? Not very unique, but it works:

"You've been a lovely audience, if I'd had a tail I'd wag it. This will be my last trick - after this I'll be passing my hat. What is the show worth, well that's upp to you to decide - but I am sure that if I'd do just one of my tricks for you at a pub you'd buy me a beer. No offerings are to small, just make sure to fold the money before you put it in the hat."

Something like that. I don't know what beer cost in the US, but here in Sweden it costs around 5-7 dollars. They get it...

Best,

/Ark
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
I remember paying $6.00 US for beers in Narvik, Norway (or was it Tromso?)when I was in the Marines back in '96!!! That's a lot of money for a pint!

I love the pitch Ark. I've been working on one myself:

Brother, sister, mother, father, neice, nephew
I'm quite sure your consciense won't let you
walk away without at least saying "thanks for the show"
and perhaps putting something in the hat before you go

Now some of you like your KOPHI for free,
But others don't mind paying a little for me.
Remember no one but you provides my pay
So if you can't help, then I can't stay.

If I've brought you some joy and brightened your mood
Then I've done my job cuz that's what KOPHI should do
So, please consider putting a 1 or 5 in my can
Or at least say thanks and offer your hand.

I've got a few more lines, but this is the part I try to throw out. The "guilt" of asking people to at least shake my hand is hopefully what turns the walkers into payers. Don't know. Can't claim big hats yet.

Ark, I'm not home right now, but will send you a pic of the juggling top later on. I like that one better for some shows because the hinged lid provides me with a lot of Patrick Page type jokes. However, as Gaddy mentioned, I'm trying to maximize my working surface to make my show appear as big as possible. So, this is my largest top and therefor wins while busking.

Thanks for the comments! How's that journal coming?

Oh, I tried to look at your website...but man you've gotta spell check that thing. There isn't a word on the whole site that I can read! I'm not even sure if some of those characters are even letters!

Sorry, that was my attempt at American humor!
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Chad! I really love your pitch! Sophisticated and nice. Rhime is a good thing to use, a bit Cellini over it. (But I guess others have done the same for years.) The Khophi-thing is wonderful!

About my site - funny that you mentioned it. An american friend acctually spell checked it today and send me an e-mail with LOTS of corrections. I'll be doing it as soon as I have the time. But for your sake, click the brittish flag on the first page and it'll be easier...

Looking forward to those pictures!

/Ark
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Oh!

I didn't know there was an English version!!! That'll help Smile I was making a bad joke about not being able to read foreign languages. I'll click the british flag next time I visit your site. Thanks for the tip.

I forgot to answer a previous question of yours about using a pouch. I use this pouch from Frank Starsinic: http://theambitiouscard.com/aitem.cfm?itemid=2

I've chosen to do a 2 cup routine with bill in orange at the end. It's a great size for that, plus other props that I carry.

Thanks for the reading and commenting on my pitch too. It's a work in progress.

Chad
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
I tried to PM this pic to you Arkadia, but couldn't figure out how.

I stuck a wand in the lid to show where the compartment begins. There's also a close up pad on the top that is attached with velcro. I put my Jeep hub covers in the pick because they were my first cups.

Sorry for the back to back post all...

Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
It looks really interesting! A very nice way of combining prop cases for magic and juggling. Me like!

/Ark
Rev.moonchild
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, Pa.
173 Posts

Profile of Rev.moonchild
Ok It's the middle of
september now ,So how did the Kofi line work for you (great line)
Follow the spirits of the wind and you will find your voice
<BR> Rev. Moonchild
<BR>
<BR>www.magicalelixer.com
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Heya Rev.

I've got business cards, signs and even t-shirts made with KOPHI on them. However, I'm not certain that I've settled on it. Nobody pronounces KOPHI as "Coffee" right away after reading it and that's a problem.

As for having a stage name though, I think it's helped my notoriety. I've actually met people on 2 occassions now who had heard of the magician name "coffee".

It does give me a nice closer to my hatlines though & the "mocha java latte" magic words bit always gets a chuckle.
DevynS
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of DevynS
Chad,

Maybe you should change from KOPHI to KOPHE. I bet a lot more people will pronounce it "coffee".

Just a thought.

Devyn
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
That's a good idea Devyn. But KOPHI is an acronym for Keeper of PHI.

I'm also a Math Teacher, and PHI is a mathematical concept that I've always been partial to. It's been a bit of a pain trying to use the spelling KOPHI as a magician, but I figure if I decide to combine my worlds of math and magic (in an instructional DVD series designed for high school level classrooms) then I'd might as well combine them early on so I'm not constantly changing my image and confusing past costumers.

This thread began with me thinking of using the name KOFI, which was this little boy's name down in Belize. I was waiting for a bus, and this women was talking to her child, and I asked her how she spelled it...anyway

But, then I wanted the name to mean more than just a catchy sound with a double entendre. So, I began thinking of aconymns and KOPHI came about. It has been difficult to work with a name that no one can pronounce upon reading it though...so I'm still wrestling with the idea.

However, I did go ahead and have a box of business cards made and put together a few poster & t-shirts to try out the idea. I'll give it a while and probably just keep it.

I begin all my shows by introducing myself, so mostly it's not a big deal. It's just when I hand out my business card or someone reads a poster and tries to pronounce the name...it's probably as annoying for them as it is for me to listen to a grown up struggle with reading a 2 syllable word...
DevynS
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of DevynS
Ohh okay Chad. I didn't know the whole PHI thing about it. But yeh its nice.I just wish people could pronounce it for you the right way so you don't have to struggle.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Help with my pitch! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL