The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Rising Card? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sk8erBoi9305
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Sk8erBoi9305
I'm kinda new to magic and I've been looking for a good rising card effect. I've found a few, like a simple rising card or box monster. could you guys give me some advice on which is good for the price? oh, and I've got about a $40 budget, just so ya know...
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
It depends on what your criteria are. I used a variety of methods over time, but settled on Ken Krenzel's method which is pure sleight of hand. The pamphlet is called "On the Up and Up" and it's written by Richard Kaufman. This is an impromptu method, but very strong.

There are other methods that allow you to use a normal deck, "Kundalina Rising" by Jeff McBride. And still other methods require a dedicated deck of cards. I'm not familiar with what's available presently. Perhaps other members can weigh in on this. However, when you become rich and famous you can get Signature Piece's Rising Cards for about $12,000.
Coram Deo
Sk8erBoi9305
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Sk8erBoi9305
Do you know where I could find this pamphlet called "on the up and up" it sounds very good, especially because it's impromptu.
damkat69
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of damkat69
Well the first thing that comes to mind is the rising deck, you could also go with a shimmed card and a pk ring, an IT reel will work as well but requires some pratice. I agree with Steven though that the best method is slight of hand, once it is mastered it can be done anywhere, anytime and all you need is a normal deck of cards. Also learn many different ways to force a card which will make your effect better if doing it mulitple times for the same group of people.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
You can find Ken Krenzel's "On the up and up" effect taught on one of his videos. Find Vol. 3 of his "Card Classics" series put out by L&L Publishing.

Mark.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Thanks, Mark. I have been looking for Ken's routine and I know the pamphlet is out of print (I'm sure happy to have a copy). It had to be somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Thanks for stepping in and helping out.

Steven
Coram Deo
Sk8erBoi9305
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Sk8erBoi9305
Thanks guys I'll try and find that video. I apreciate your help very much. thank you
Led Heflin
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Led Heflin
I'm curious to know what people think of the quite simple sleight of hand rising card method in Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. I've had good response to it, but I never would have thought so at a first read of it.
Let him borrow and return his handkerchief like a man, and trust to his sleight of hand.
<BR>
<BR>--Edwin Sachs
<BR>
<BR>http://www.myspace.com/ledheflin
Jlowhy
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Jlowhy
Gregory Wilson also covers the sleight Ken Krenzel's "On the Up and Up" on his Card Stunts DVD. (Warning though: Card Stunts is not for new cardworkers)

Expert Card Technique has a few Rising Card methods that could be looked into as well.
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
978 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Signature Piece's Rising Cards for about $12,000
Steven, you are right on the price, but it's Collector's Workshop NOVA. This is an "any card called" card rise, with a killer extra A much cheaper version is Angelo Carbone's Notion of Motion.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Regards "On the Up and Up" it should be noted for the beginner that it is an exceedingly difficult routine to do really well. GREAT routine, but it also assumes that you have some card handling skill of at least a basic level.

Kundalini Rising is a terrific routine and is probably more approachable to the beginner, but it still assumes that you know how to handle cards comfortably.

In fact that is the problem with almost every card rise out there even the mechanical versions. I sell the basic A.M.Y., etc. style rise for about $20. In fact you 'could' do it with very little knowledge of card handling, but the problem is that you will mostly end up looking like you ARE using a trick deck!

This is by the way the basic dilemma of virtually all 'trick' decks. The more skill you have with just plain old normal decks of cards the more natural you will look when using things like the Svengali, Stripper, Rising, etc.

To anyone just starting out there is a ton of great material now available: Card College vol. 1, the various DVD's of Royal Road to Card Magic and on and on. Gaining a basic skill level will pay you huge dividends performance wise.

All best,
Brad Burt
Sk8erBoi9305
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Sk8erBoi9305
Thanks guys, eventually I'll get "on the up and up" but now I actually made my own rising card. (Cut a rectangle out of the front of the box, I'll let you have some fun with that...)
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
If it fits in with what you are doing, then I recommend Kundalini Rising. There is something magical about the card rise happening in a spectators hands, it removes the possibility of you doing sleight of hand. You have to sell the effect though, just having a card rise from the deck is an interesting trick, but it seems more like a puzzle. In the proper context, it can really be a miracle.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
RenzIII
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of RenzIII
Ultimate card rise by Jerry Somerdin is not too bad, and inexpensive, very effective.
Ninad_Magic
View Profile
New user
India
36 Posts

Profile of Ninad_Magic
If possible use electric not hand operated. some times thread system fails.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I find it hard to believe no one mentioned the Devano Deck or the Arne (same principle) Deck. Which not only is inexpensive but also will rise in the spectator's hands..Very eerily I might add..
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Rising Card? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL