The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Ultimate 3 Card Monte Origins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
A lot of you guys are quite good in the origins of certain tricks. I was always curious about the similarities between Mike Skinner's Ultimate 3 Card Monte and Mike Roger's Unconquered Card. It is almost the same trick though none of the two Mike's referred to each other. Also both tricks came out in approximately the same time...
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
While I am not familiar with the Mike Roger's handling of the effect, the first time I ever read of the use of those particular gimmicked cards for a monte effect was in Vernon's Ultimate Secrets of Card Magic and was credited to Eddie Taytelbaum from Holland.

Take care,

Dorian Rhodell
shanla
View Profile
Loyal user
Japan, Tokyo
285 Posts

Profile of shanla
Yes, Mr. Skinnerfs routine is based on Eddie Taytelbaumfs routine gFind the Aceh. That is described in the manuscript of gUltimate Three Card Monteh. I donft know Mike Rogerfs routine. Where can I find it?
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
I know where both the routines had their sources. I know Eddie Taytelbaum personally (and am planning to have an interview with him in the near future for a Dutch magic journal).
What tickles me though is why both routines, being almost the same never refer to each other.
Mike Roger's routine was a marketed effect sold by Jeff Busby...
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
The Taytelbaum cards were all the same suit (Clubs), whereas the Skinner cards are the Ace of Hearts and the Two and Three of clubs. That is the only difference that I am aware of.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Peter Pitt had a jumbo, club/stage version out a couple of decades before either Skinner or Rogers put out their standard Poker sized version. Peter was one of the first to use the contrasting red ace (the idea that made the Roger’s/Skinner versions so strong to magicians).

I believe that his version was contemporary to Taytelbaum’s. The moves that Peter used are almost identical to the moves used in both the Rogers and Skinner versions. But then, the gimmicked card almost dictates how the cards must be moved to affect the effect!

Finally, DeLand, the great gimmicked card inventor, put out a set of cards with the gimmick index back in the early 1920’s. However his routine was not a Monte. But then that is really ancient history!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Harry, is the Peter Pitt jumbo routine you're referring to "Chase the Ace?"
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
The Peter Pit routine was exclusively marketed thru Supreme Magic in the UK.
It was sold as a bonus routine to their "Giant Size Clever Ace".
The cards are great and are part of my stand-up shows for years.
Peter Pit adds a clever idea by using a bulldog clip as a marker while hiding the fake "I"...
It was not a very clearly written routine though.
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Ultimate 3 Card Monte Origins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL