The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Barry and stuart (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Thanks Tony for posting that! That's one of my favorite Rowan bits!
I personally believe Jesus, who loved to laugh, is rolling on the floor laughing when he hears that bit!
I remember meeting Penn at a roast in Chicago for Jay Marshall (no, I'm not name-dropping, just giving context..ok, I AM name-dropping!) and he told me he loves to meet fellow entertainers...and HATES magicians!!!!
One of those moments I'll always remember and smile while doing so...
We got along famously!
;)
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Please let me know if this is Barry and Stuart:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ViVPctybQc8

Hmmmmmm... whoever it is, it looks like a rip-off of Andre' Kole's "Headmover" to me! Certainly is a "dirty trick"!

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2007-08-23 15:09, Terry Holley wrote:

Hmmmmmm... whoever it is, it looks like a rip-off of Andre' Kole's "Headmover" to me! Certainly is a "dirty trick"!

Terry

Yes another fine Barry and Stuart clip. Don't know if it's a rip[ off of Mr. Kole's Headmover or an authorized version. I guess you'd have to ask Mr. Kole about that.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2007-07-21 12:08, ChristopherM wrote:
Guys, I feel that you've overlooked a serious discrepancy between the two duos; Penn and Teller are popular. The British wannabes are not. Penn and Teller have had a long and successful career already, whilst the other pair are still scratching a living, and are yet to receive good or even adequate ratings for any of their TV work. There's lightyears between the two; our homegrown 'talent' has a mammoth task ahead of them if they want to get anywhere. To be honest, I really don't think they will, primarily because P&T have actually got talent and are pretty funny too. That's more than one could say about...

I think your overlooking the fact that P&T started at the bottom as well and took years of hard and dedicated work to get to the level they are at today. B&S are just starting out and doing relatively well. Not everybody gets their own Television specials so early in their career. They are also all over You Tube which means they have a pretty dedicated fan base. Also the chat about them on TalkMagic.uk is about as mixed as it is for Blaine and Angel. Some people get it and like them while others don't.
You obviously fall into the second category which is perfectly fine. No reason to like everything you see. but just because you don't like them is no reason to disparage their talents, drive or creativity. I personally can't stand to watch Cris Angel's show (so I don't) but I can see that he has talent, it's just not to my taste. I however don't go around talking rubbish about him or his performances. Seems to me to be rather unchristian to behave in such a manner.
JoyJoy
View Profile
Special user
Germany
514 Posts

Profile of JoyJoy
Quote:

Yes a rip-off - made by quality props of england. To use it speaks volumes of the excellence/quality of Barry&Stuart... What a shame!
They doubtless know that it was performed from DC and is an idea from Kole.

Permission given to David Copperfield, Tim Kole and Kirby Van Birch
Built by Magiccraft-David Mendoza
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2007-08-23 17:32, JoyJoy wrote:

Yes a rip-off - made by quality props of england. To use it speaks volumes of the excellence/quality of Barry&Stuart... What a shame!
They doubtless know that it was performed from DC and is an idea from Kole.

Perhaps they don't know it was an unauthorized copy. They wouldn't be the first to assume that a builder has gotten permission to constrict a certain prop, and they certainly won't be the last.
It also fails to speak volumes of their excellencequality. It speaks of their ethics (if in fact they knew their prop was unauthorized) but not their skill and execution.

Quote:

Permission given to David Copperfield, Tim Kole and Kirby Van Birch
Built by Magiccraft-David Mendoza

Yeah, it's not like everyone on this list is lily white when it comes to getting the proper permission before using effects in their programs. Not saying everyone on this list has done so but one name certainly stands out from the rest.

For a group that's suppose to turn the other cheek some of you are certainly very quick to judge.
JoyJoy
View Profile
Special user
Germany
514 Posts

Profile of JoyJoy
Quote:
On 2007-08-23 19:30, Payne wrote:
Perhaps they don't know it was an unauthorized copy.

lol - nice joke...
you don´t wanna tell me, that they are newbies... too funny =)

Quote:
On 2007-08-23 19:30, Payne wrote:
For a group that's suppose to turn the other cheek some of you are certainly very quick to judge.

1. One guy is not the whole group...
2. Using rip-offs is not ethical - so no judgement here - facts. Or didn´t they use a rip-off?
MagicMattMan
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
741 Posts

Profile of MagicMattMan
I agree JoyJoy....newbs, lol.
The only credit I give them is at least they got us to talk about them.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not, none will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."Hebrews 13:2
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2007-08-23 19:43, JoyJoy wrote:

2. Using rip-offs is not ethical - so no judgement here - facts. Or didn´t they use a rip-off?

Have no idea if they used a rip off or not. I'm not an illusion guy so I don't know who has the rights to which illusions. Haven't seen Copperfield perform in decades so I don't know what's in or has been in his show over the years. I've never seen Mr Kole perform either and I really have no idea what he has or has not invented apart from the trick with all the knives that got exposed on one of the Masked Magician shows. If I was to buy an illusion I'd really have no idea if it was an authorized version or not simply because I don't follow that branch of the art that much because I find illusions pretty boring.
I just have to take your word for it that Barry and Stuart knowingly used a rip off illusion. Do you have any proof that they knew they were using a rip off? Perhaps they simply borrowed or were supplied the illusion by the production company and didn't know where it came from.
I admit I'm willing to cut them a little slack as I'm a big fan of their work. If they were continually using knock offs or stealing material it would be a different matter but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on a one time use of a supposed knock off.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2007-08-23 15:56, Payne wrote:
Quote:

Terry

Yes another fine Barry and Stuart clip. Don't know if it's a rip[ off of Mr. Kole's Headmover or an authorized version. I guess you'd have to ask Mr. Kole about that.

I talked to Andre' tonight and he told me that Barry and Stuart were not authorized to use Headmover and the company that produced the effect was not authorized to do so.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Barry and stuart (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL