The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Half and Half DVD - Doug Brewer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
871 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
Hi, Guys

Just saw this available through Murphy's. Anyone got this ?

Doug, perhaps you can give us insight of your new DVDs

Cheers

Andre
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Thanks, Andre: These are a lot of my stand-up routines - no requirement to sit or lap. Sometimes a table is required, sometimes not. These DVDs have half money (coins or bills), and half cards. Volume 1 also has my shell game ending. The bill routine on Volume 1 is a real favorite and one I do a lot in the bar. Volume 2 has my take on Kaps/Vernon Coins & Silk, one of favorites also and a very commercial piece of magic. It's part of a much longer routine (which is included) that I do use in stand-up situations. A lot of the routines are modular, that is, the effects lead into the next effect, which leads into the next effect. You can stop at any end point and the routine will seem complete. But if you want, you can keep going. You can, of course, cut and paste them into your own routines too. That's the nuts and bolts of the DVDs. Only 2 volumes. They are available through me or any dealer. Any questions, please ask!

Doug Brewer
tommy ng
View Profile
Veteran user
USA,Oregon
387 Posts

Profile of tommy ng
Thank for you info Doug!
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
I will go ahead and be the first to give my opinion of these DVDs. Before I get to that, I would like to say that in no way is this review bias eventhough Doug and I have been friends for nearly 10 years, he is doing a routine of mine on Volume 2, and he paid me $100 to write this. Ok, I am kidding about that last part...

Anyway, on to Volume 1. I will go ahead and paste the trick descriptions below with my thoughts directly beneath them.

Ultimate (?) Wild Coin Routine

History Production: A devilishly clever way to produce 3 coins while ringing in a gaff.

I thought this quick intro into the Wildcoin routine was very good. Entertaining presentation and repeated productions/vanishes make this a perfect opener.

Ultimate (?) Wildcoin: Doug's handling of the classic effect. 3 coins change one at a time into a Chinese coin. A super clean, visual change turns them back to silver.

This was probably my favorite routine of this "routine". In essence, you have a very clean change of 3 half dollars into 3 chinese coins. The last coin, after changing into the final chinese coin is simply "dipped" into the coin cup where it instantaeously changes back to a silver coin. A very cool change indeed.

Payout (Performance only): A favorite from The Unexpected Visitor Vol.1 fits perfectly here.

This is a performance only segway into the final change in the whole routine. "Payout" was originally taught on "The Unexpected Visitor Volume 1" as a bonus routine. The method itself is relatively simple to reconstruct so the fact that it is performance only shouldn't let you down. In reality though, you should probably get "TUVV1" anyway... it contains some of Doug's best walkaround coin material.

Chinese Change: The finale for the entire routine brining it all full circle.

This was my least favorite trick on the DVD let alone this "routine". While it does bring the effect back full circle (which I am not sure if it really does since full circle would imply that the coins end how they started as silver), the way in which he changes the coins one last time into chinese seems awkward. For example, the silver coins just reappeared via "Payout", the cards used in "Payout" are put away, the silvers are picked up, dropped into the cup, then dropped back out of the cup to show the change. Seems like it could have been a little more straightforward without the use of the cup... what do I know though, I do card magic Smile

A Bill Routine

Transporter Malfunction: Doug's surprising variation of the classic $1 and $5 transposition, based on a routine from Joshua Jay.

This is an ultra clean $1 and $20 transpo varied directly from Joshua Jay. I have seen Doug do this entire routine live and the reaction Doug gets from the sudden appearance of the mis-made bill is priceless.

Skullcracker Correction: Bob Sheet's visual, in-the-hands change, corrects a horrible situation.

After the appearance of the mis-made bill, Doug corrects the situation by changing the mis-made into a normal $1 bill. This is almost like a performance only, as Doug does not teach the Skullcracker change. While he did receive permission from Bob Kohler, he felt it was incorrect divulging the Sheets ultra visible method for changing out a bill. I agree with him 100%. If you do not want to learn the Sheets method, you can always use one of the countless TT methods currently in print.

bill2box: A killer ending to the entire routine. They never see it coming.

This is the finale to the whole "Bill Routine". It ends with the obvious choice of "signed bill to impossible location". I don't mean "obvious" in a bad way though... I think Doug's thinking on this is great. His variation to load a matchbox with the signed bill is economy in motion. Even if you do not use this to end any of your bill routines, you can still use the load itself for anything else to a matchbox.

The Triple Crowns (Based on Larry Jennings' Triple Discovery Routine)

Ace Revelation: Two jokers morph to reveal the Aces.

Royal Crown: A demonstration in cheating leads to a progressive revelation, ending with a Royal Flush.

Australian Crown: A reworking of LJ's Triple Discovery routine to reveal 3 selections in a surprising and magical way.

The above 3 routines are all variants of themselves. Each is Doug's way of handling the great Larry Jennings' routine from "Classic Magic" called "Triple Discovery". If you are looking for a commercial way of producing 3 selections, a 4 of a kind, or a Royal Flush, then look no further than the "Triple Crowns".

Shell Game Finale

Borrowed Ring: So you want to end the Shell Game magically? Here's how Doug does it with a borrowed ring.

This is Doug's handling of the shell game. His ends in a magical way, causing a borrowed ring and the pea to transpose under impossible conditions. I found this routine to be very entertaining and just right in length. It seems that most of the gambling themed routines out today (shells, chain, 3 card monte) run a little too long for my taste. Doug hit it right on the head with this routine.

The Pearl (explanation only): A beautiful surprise ending, particularly useful for your female spectators.

Doug explains how to end the routine using a pearl, not a borrowed ring, which can be useful especially if no one is wearing or willing to give up their ring.

Anyway, I hope my few words above were of some interest to those reading. I will post my thoughts on volume 2 later this week. But first, off to the bank to cash that check, hope it clears. Thanks Doug!

S.Segal
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
You're funny, Syd.

Thanks for the review. You're my Peter Duffie . . .
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
Doug's a real world performer who really thinks about his magic. I haven't seen these DVD's yet but I do know that Doug's solutions and routines have been worked out through performance for living people as opposed to the mirror. Personally I'd buy these DVD's because I know I won't be disappointed. I'm very intrigued to see the transpo of the pea and ring in his Shell Game routine. Besides he needs some sales to get the $100 to pay Mr. Segal for the review!!!
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
Joshua Jay
View Profile
V.I.P.
196 Posts

Profile of Joshua Jay
Hello Everyone,

I just watched Half and Half and I’m thrilled. Doug’s magic is fun to watch because he’s a master of routining. For example, the opening coin routine is really four routines in one. And everything is modular so, for example, if it’s just his Wild Coin you’re after, you can extract just this part. But taken as a whole, it’s a complete “routine”: productions, vanishes, changes, etc. Really cool.

Ditto for his bill routine. There’s a really funny gag bill that plays a big part, and he finally figured out a LOGICAL reason for the appearance of a mis-made bill. Great!

My favorite item is actually a terrific card routine in which two cards sandwich a selection, and he then instantly produces a Royal Flush. The construction is so tight—so pretty—that you’ll want to use it immediately.

Doug’s the man!

Josh
Heygeno
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Heygeno
Doug

Checked your we site, can't find anyway to order these.

Thanks
Gene
algebraic
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of algebraic
You can order this from http://www.themagicwarehouse.com or from http://www.elmwoodmagic.com. I hope this helps.
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
Go through Doug...

http://www.dougbrewermagic.com

Go to the products... answer the short question.

The product is on the "DVD" page.

I should have my review up of Volume 2 sometime this week. Stay tuned.

S.Segal
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Thanks for the review, Josh! I just checked my site and just bought 20 sets of my own dvds - so it's working. After you answer the name of that famous magician there's a box underneath that you click on to proceed. Maybe this is where the problem is . . . anyway, please let me know if you have any heartburn getting in.
Tophie
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Tophie
The Shell Game Ending on Vol. 1 is worth the price of the DVD.
It is a logical conclusion to a great routine.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
Anymore thoughts on this DVD(s)???
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Half and Half DVD - Doug Brewer (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL