The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Betchas » » Betchas - An impossible shot of Brandy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Cook
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Steve Cook
The late, Ken Brooke told me this one some 30 years ago, and I've never seen anyone
do it. This works best with a new, sealed bottle of Brandy (although this is not
obligatory). Tell the mark that a guy once told you that he could take a single measure of Brandy from its sealed bottle without unsealing it, touching the top,
damaging the bottle or letting anyone else do the deed for him. Say, "It's impossible, don't you think? Would you be brave enough to bet on that?" (He will!)

How's it done? Most Brandy bottles have a conical shaped recess in the base (you would have to check this out beforehand). Simply ask the barman if you can look at a
certain bottle of Brandy which you see displayed. When later, you're ready, ask the
barman if you can borrow a bottle of Brandy for a few seconds. Give the mark the
spiel and, when he's put up his bet, you ask the barman for a single shot of Brandy.
You then pour the Brandy from your glass into the recessed base of the bottle. Look at the mark and tip the bottle so that the Brandy is poured back into your glass. You have done what you said: taken a shot of Brandy from the bottle, abiding by the stipulations set beforehand! Diabolical Ken.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Also works from a good wine bottle.
Always a classic.
Gwyd
Steve Cook
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Steve Cook
Thanks Gwyd. A wine bottle may be ok, however, I prefer the Brandy bottle as it holds a full measure, and ties in neatly with the patter - you'd be pushing it with a glass of wine! Cheers, Steve.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-06-12 17:00, Steve Cook wrote:
Thanks Gwyd. A wine bottle may be ok, however, I prefer the Brandy bottle as it holds a full measure, and ties in neatly with the patter - you'd be pushing it with a glass of wine! Cheers, Steve.

Not really. First of all almost every wine bottle has a "punt". That's the name of the indentation. So you don't have to go fishing around for a proper bottle. And there is no reason to say "I'm going to take a "glass" of wine". Or a "measure" or a "dram" or any other such thing. You simply say "I'll drink from the bottle". Then you pour the wine into the punt and drink from the bottle.

The best is framed like this "I'll bet I can drink from that wine bottle without opening it etc,etc." Then you drink from the punt.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
The very words I use Vandy.
It is a great betcha, and always gets a laugh.
Gwyd
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Never fails!
Steve Cook
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Steve Cook
The 'measure' or 'dram thing' was a specific part of the betcha that I saw and I now believe that two 'shots' were involved. I understand where you're coming from
but that line of reasoning didn't come into play in the version I saw. I can't remember the specifics now, but the exact measures were an important part of the structure of the thing, as was the 'sealed bottle'. I wish my memory was up to it!
I was also told by a pro' hustler, that you should NEVER open a scam/betcha with the words: "I bet you..." as psychologically it forewarns the mark that there's no way he can win. If you're prepared to bet in such a scenario, then you have no intention of losing the bet. You may get away with it most of the time but there are more subtle approaches of course to win the mark's confidence and assure him
of his favourable chances of winning. I believe that this line of reasoning is
mentioned elsewhere on this 'Betchas' index. Structuring a scam/betcha is akin to structuring a magic routine:it is not just the wording but, the phrasing of the wording and, especially in the case of a betcha, the personal underplaying or subvertion of your own role in the proceedings.The same guy told me that most people of course do 'betchas' and 'small scams' for fun or for a free drink, but
he did it for a living and his greatest tools were language and subvertion. Hmmm... it's a thought guys?
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
That may very well be. I have no clue. I never read a book about bar bets and I've never formally studied the psychology involved. All I know is what I picked up from practically living in bar rooms from the time I was nine years old, until I was about thirty-five years old. I've seen hundreds of bar bets for all sorts of amounts. You can also scare people off with to many conditions and over explaining the bet.

However you phrase it, it better be short and sweet. That why I just say "I'll drink from the bottle". It dosen't get any simpler than that. People aren't that stupid. You start laying out all sorts of confusing conditions and they will never bet either. We're all aware of the Runyon quote.
Steve Cook
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Steve Cook
I agree Vandy. Simple is always best. I have no argument with that. Just thought
I'd mention what I was told. I didn't say it was the way I'd choose to do things.
Thanks for your replies - appreciated.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
To each his own. What's right and what's wrong? Don't ask me.
iambest
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of iambest
This was great, got me a free drinks all night from my buddies. Thanks Steve!

-The Bear
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Betchas » » Betchas - An impossible shot of Brandy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL