The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Haunting music box song... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
I would like to try and write an act for a music box I have. I have never used music, ever, and would like to somehow fit a musical piece into my act. Can anyone recommend anything? I already have a jewelry box I'm going to use, I will just order the mechanics... thanks...
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
As a firm believer in involving as many of the senses as possible, Music, or at least background sounds, are very important.
Consider the manipulated music box working as described by Tony Andruzzi. It was, if I recall, used in an effect to be found in the Daemon's Diary. There is little liklihood of the tune being known in that instance. another is to simply alter some of the tines or bumps on an existing music movement to make it sound eerie.
I have found that using a piece that is known has positives and minuses. If the music being played is known, then you run the risk of the vict-, er participant focusing on the music; humming along, or providing the words- which may or may not be what you want them to do.
When seeking general backgorund music I use some of the music form the "international" section of the music store. Many of them have producers and contacts in the US so if permission or rights for public/paid performance needs to be done, it is easier to accomplish.
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
You might be interested in this post about a programmable music box:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=14
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1357 Posts

Profile of handa
Bending a few teeth in an existing mechanism may give you an eerie, original, discordant tune.

Chris
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Thanks for the idea's. I'm looking for a tune I can read a love letter to. I found the most beautiful music box in a trashcan and this is where the story begin's...
Something that will unsettle the mind in its haunting simplicity.
Its for a wind up music box which is activated when you open the lid.
thanks
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Haunting music box song... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL