The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Napkin Puppets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DanielMooncalf
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
113 Posts

Profile of DanielMooncalf
I was hoping to find information on napkin puppets. So... Where can I find information on napkin puppets? Smile

thanks.
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
328 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
What I use to do from my childhood is make a simple knot at one of the napkin corner. Insert your index finger to the knot as head of puppet, then make position of your thumb and middle finger as arms. So you have a napkin hand puppet!

If I'm not wrong I have seen some napkin puppet in old magic books. Maybe on Bill Tarr's book or Dunninger's book. I'm not sure, but can't check it for now.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Budi Ha Ha
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
DanielMooncalf
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
113 Posts

Profile of DanielMooncalf
Yea.. What I'm looking for specifically looks like napkin origami, almost.. except for you form different things into hand puppets.
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
328 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
Sorry I don't get it.

Do you know how to make a chicken body from napkin?
Is that kind you looking for?

BTW what I remember from the old magic books, as I wrote before, is something like making a rabbit puppet using a napkin or handkerchief plus hand.

Or try to find a napkin folding books, maybe you can find what you are looking for.

Regards,

Budi Ha Ha
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Eyes that you clip on to your fingers might go well with the napkins..

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
indridcold
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of indridcold
Shari lewis has a few lovely little paper and cloth napkin puppets in both her videotape You Can Do It and her book on the subject (perhaps called Paper Toys and Puppets).

Dave
julieannjohnson
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of julieannjohnson
I am reviving this old thread because Budihaha said, "what I remember from the old magic books, as I wrote before, is something like making a rabbit puppet using a napkin or handkerchief plus hand."

Yes, my grandmother used to do this. She had two tricks -- the paper rose (for when the restaurant had paper napkins) and the rabbit puppet (for when the restaurant had linen napkins). Both of these tricks must be very old, because my grandmother was born in 1893. She performed them for me circa 1950 - 1955.

I found the paper rose instructions via Docc Hilford's excellent DVD ("Docc's Paper Rose"), but I have yet to find instructions for making the rabbit puppet a.k.a. bunny from a napkin.

I would greatly appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction.
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Picard_1114
View Profile
New user
New York
76 Posts

Profile of Picard_1114
julieannjohnson
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of julieannjohnson
Thanks, both of you!

Picard -- that's the one, complete with the wiggly nose! As soon as I saw it, I remembered how to do it. One difference -- when my grandmother tied the two free ends around her wrist, she tucked one of those ends up and back in to make a little bunny tail.

You folks are great! Now I can teach both of these old-time tricks to my grandsons.

Imagine -- something from my 19th century grandmother to be shown to my 21st century grandkids. That's real magic.
Bernie Balloons
View Profile
Elite user
N.Y.C.
480 Posts

Profile of Bernie Balloons
I am sure the grand kids will love it as muh as you did
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Napkin Puppets (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL