The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Last Phase in 3 Fly Routines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicSteve84
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of MagicSteve84
I recently purchased Mark Mason's "Come Fly With Me" and I have practiced it everyday for the past two weeks. Yesterday I took it out for a trial run and did a few performances for friends and family. It went over great. The only problem I have is with the last phase. There is no motivation at all to pick up the second coin then place the third into your left hand and return the second one to the right hand. I have talked to a few magicians and noticed that Kohler's U3F had the same issue. Does anyone have any ideas or know of any routines where there is motivation for the last put and take move? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I agree with your assessment of the final phase of CFWM. The last phase of CFWM has a pickup of coin in RH which you place in LH, just to take one coin back in RH.

However, you are incorrect in saying that U3F has this issue. U3F places one coin visibly in the the other hand to set up the ending which is completely motivated as a gag.

Stated more simply for the last phase: U3F has one open transfer with motivation. CWFM has 3 unmotivated transfers.

I would say that the last phase in CWFM is unique to it, most other 3 Fly's does not have the last phase setup like that.

Dan
Click to visit:
viris
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of viris
That's the same thing I was thinking of. I was wondering if anyone has an alternate ending. But I will tell you I've only performed this to a few people and the second coin going across and the last coin got the biggest wow factor. I would like to see how this compares to the Ultimate 3 Fly. I know it's taboo to ask I'm just curious. Besides I think I have one of the best 3-fly's out there.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The basic problem was brought to my attention posed as a sort of challenge back around 1977.

There are other posts discussing options here on the café available via the search function.

The question really boils down to asking what you want to do right after that last coin has traveled.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
880 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
If the routine looks completely natural then I'm all for it. With 3 fly the hands are at chest height and to me this is completely obvious that something is going on behind the fingers.
Profits over people are a common thing . Be uncommon and be the best .
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Steve and TWOCAN,
I think the cleanest and most natural visual coins across method for me is using the U3FLY set. The big advantage is you can freely show the hands on both sides after each transposition with my routine. I take a minimalist approach. The first coin travels to the right hand . The second coin travels to the right hand. Finally the third coin travels to the right hand and that's it. There is no open transfer of any coins. Coins don't go back to where they started. I also don't use the fake palming ruse that was taught on the original video from Kohler for the troublesome third coin. How do I get the third coin to reach the right hand? The Flying Changeover Palm does the trick so to speak (taught in TCCM).

Larry
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
880 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
That's what I'm talking about. Clean and natural. Thanks Larry
Profits over people are a common thing . Be uncommon and be the best .
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1149 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I'm not a coin guru by any means, but....

When watching Mark Mason demo CWFM at Magi-Fest, I didn't notice any unnatural moves.
I like to try to view magic as a spectator would.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it all seemed natural to me. Maybe that's because he's done it SO many times.

Or, maybe I'm blinded because I spent the money to buy the coins. Now that I own them, it better be clean and natural! : )
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
jimmyj
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of jimmyj
Tim,

Nah- You won't be disappointed. Did you buy the Morgans or half dollars?

In any event, because 3 fly hybrids are very popular,or were, you'll get various opinions on different handlings (do a search, you'll see). Gaffed, Non-Gaffed etc.
All are valid and interesting. Dan has some very valid points, of course.

I've got CFWM in medium worn Morgans. From Mark Mason. From the UK. I love these coins. If you do some research, you'll find that they can also be used for different routines, either all together, separate, in conjunction with other Morgans, etc. I've found them useful for other stuff, routines, rather than just Marks routine.

Like I said- Can't go wrong with this set of coins. I love the feel and look of them. And they can be used, if you're creative, which isn't my forte, for other routines other than Mark's routine alone.

Jim
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1149 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Thanks, Jim.

I also bought the medium worn Morgans. It's been a joy to practice with them.
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
jimmyj
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of jimmyj
Tim,
They're a great set of interesting, well made, set of coins.

I'm thinking of using them for, or a variation of, a series of routines instigated by Corey Burkes Payphone DVD. And some stuff from Troy Hooser. And Chris Korn.

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Last Phase in 3 Fly Routines (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL