The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » First Time On The Streets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wayne Whiting
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Wayne Whiting
Today was my first attempt at street magic. I was a bit nervous about getting busted, but I was armed with an e-mail from the city zoning commissioner just in case. I have been reading, watching videos and, most importantly, reading this forum. I would publicly like to thank all of you who have taken time to post. At the top of the list would be Don Driver who helped me get starting with pitching and developing a rapport with an audience. I learned a lot about how to read people and respond quickly. Thanks Don.

I also need to thank (in no particular order) Danny Hustle for his multiple posts and book The Art of Krowd Keeping, Kozmo, Eric Evans and most recently Harry Murphy who just said, "Just go do it man!" James in LA, Whit Hayden, Cellini for his books and videos, Tom Frank for his videos. Man, the list just keeps going. Although I have never communicated with Gazzo, thanks go to him for the interviews I have listened to which had many words of wisdom gleaned from years of experience.

If anything, what I learned today was how much I don't know. I picked a spot I thought was okay and had plenty of room. Hey, my first attempt, I probably wouldn't stop but three people at a time. I stopped three, but it quickly grew to 15 and I was worried about complaints of blocking pedestrian traffic.

Another lesson came when two families were eating at an ourdoor Café and spotted me. They came over with a 6 year old who loved magic. The adults went back to the meal, but the 6 year and old and his 2-year-old sister hung around, and hung around and hung around. I was reluctant to tell them to get lost, but the parents keep giving them money to put in my hat when I gave the hat lines. After one tip dispersed, a woman came out of a store talking on her cell and stopped to watch me with the two kids in front of my table. After watching for a few minutes, she approached and asked it those were my kids. I said no and she demanded to know where the parents were. I pointed to their table 40 feet away. She said, "Oh," and walked away. It didn't occur to me until later that she was thinking I was a street pervert. Had I been thinking more quickly, I would have thanked her for her concern. I will be more careful about entertaining young children like that in the future who look like they are unsupervised. Lesson number two.

After one short set, I gave the hat lines and people were digging for their wallets and filled up my hat. You guys have been there and know what it feels like. Wow. What a rush!

Thanks again,

Wayne
Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. Thomas Edison

www.terrylagerold.com
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Wayne,
Thanks for the report...keep it up.

Don
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Way to go, Wayne. If the parents keep giving the kids cash, I'd let 'em stay all day. I always say though, I charge more for babysitting than magic. Have fun.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
James I use the line

"Unattended children will be given a cappacinno and a free puppy......"

Great job wayne....
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver

that's really funny SeaDawg...thanks for that.

Don
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Good for you....why don't you give me a call sometime and we can talk

koz
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That line about the cappucino and the free puppy is wonderful. It reminds me of the way I used to sell my kid's show.

The mother would call up and I would tell her how the show was programmed, etc. Then I would give her the price.

The next question would be:

"Do you pull a rabbit out of your hat?"

"Yes, I do. That costs an extra $25.00 ... For another $25.00, I keep the rabbit."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
Keep up the good work Wayne. By the way I truly enjoyed Lagerould's Pasteboard Presentations book.
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
Congrats!
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Great job Wayne!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Wayne Whiting
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Wayne Whiting
Sea Dog,

That's a great line. I can definitely use that!

Frank,

You're one of the multitude I forgot to thank! Wish our time at Starbucks could have been longer. I am no longer in Oregon though having moved to Virginia in December; however, I will be at the Auburn High School on Sunday the 24th at 5:00 a.m. in the morning...that is if I make it to the finish line of the Western States 100!
Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. Thomas Edison

www.terrylagerold.com
PutASpellOnMe
View Profile
New user
OK
27 Posts

Profile of PutASpellOnMe
I can honestly say, living in Oklahoma my entire life, I have NEVER seen a street magician and that includes going to a very busy place in OKC called Brick Town. I would love to see a street magician and if you're nice to my kids, I'm a super tipper! Sounds fun!
"A friend is a present you give yourself"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Hey, Buskers! There is an open opportunity!!!!

Oklahoma City -- Brick Town.

Welcome to the forum, ma'am. OKC is right up the road from Dallas. Any chance that you will be going to the SAM convention next week? It's going to be a beeeeg one!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
That's great Wayne, I just recently started working in the street myself!! sorry about not having any place to work in Baltimore Smile it sucks.
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
Quote:
On 2007-06-30 02:56, JimPutASpellOnMe wrote:
I can honestly say, living in Oklahoma my entire life, I have NEVER seen a street magician and that includes going to a very busy place in OKC called Brick Town. I would love to see a street magician and if you're nice to my kids, I'm a super tipper! Sounds fun!

I'm in the OKC area myself and while I have not "Busked" specifically I have performed for some coporate events etc. It is a wonderful place with great performing opprotunities.
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
"If anything, what I learned today was how much I don't know."

Many times the advice on this (and other) boards gets repeated. and this is why. I love that you did well and welcome to the club. In a year or so look for posts like yours and you will get a kick out of them.

so to any one out there reading this thinking about hitting the bricks, Do it, what you learn that day will be far more meaningful to you than any book or video.

James I use the line

OMG Smile Smile Smile I don't know why I found this as funny as I did. but It floored me.

Off topic, I often talk about "hitting the bricks" but this summer is the first time that I can remember that my pitch is on bricks.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
PutASpellOnMe
View Profile
New user
OK
27 Posts

Profile of PutASpellOnMe
Had not planned on going to the SAM convention. I work one day next w/end, am off Friday and Saturday, sounds like a possible plan - where exactly?

Thanks for the welcome! I think you are possibly the first welcome I have received.

Been to Dallas a few times. There is a street with my name there - Stacy Lane. I wanted my husband to take a picture of it but we were in traffice and he said I was absolutely crazy. If you ever get the opportunity, snap a shot of it! I would be forever gracious and would post in on my myspace with thanks to you - Bill Palmer from Dallas!

Stacy Lane

Visit my myspace url - put M.C. in the subject line so I know you aren't a Spammer!
My MySpace URL: myspace.com/ycatsyoj

Quote:
On 2007-06-30 03:33, Bill Palmer wrote:
Hey, Buskers! There is an open opportunity!!!!

Oklahoma City -- Brick Town.

Welcome to the forum, ma'am. OKC is right up the road from Dallas. Any chance that you will be going to the SAM convention next week? It's going to be a beeeeg one!
"A friend is a present you give yourself"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » First Time On The Streets (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL