The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Full Facts Book of Cold Reading (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
I thought it a bit odd, but the FFBoCR was found on the LuLu.com website for free. Did I miss something along the way? Isn't it odd that Ian would have given this one away??? Any info. regarding this would be appreciated.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
That doesn't sound right at all
Someone better tell him
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I also noticed, free at LULU, is the 150 page PDF of Harvey Nerzof's online reviews. Now that's gotta be a fun read.

I can see Rowland maybe selling the paperbcks at $9 each,he'd sell a kajillion of them...but what's the point of free DL's? Mysterious.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
I just sent Ian a note regarding Full Facts.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
get 'em while they're HOT!
EricDraven
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of EricDraven
Great news!!
Believe me...nothing is trivial...
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
It's a pirate copy
Don't go there
EricDraven
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of EricDraven
What?? I thought Lulu.com was an official publishing company??
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
Yes, Ian has indicated that it is a pirate copy. He IS trying to do something about it.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
It is, but the person who published it there is not Ian.

What we have here is a thief posing as Ian trying to devalue his work, and steal money from him. Despicable!

Ian and LuLu are victims.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
That is truly disgusting - but it is also sad to see Lulu is now getting to be another ebay lawless land zone.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
I wouldn't think it was LULU's fault. Anyone can place a document on their site. Like Tony stated.

John
EricDraven
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of EricDraven
The should integrate security measures to avoid that...and that fast!
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
It has been removed.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
#@%&**#@ !

Downloaded. Unopened, waiting for verdict. Deleted.

#$@!

I was hoping it was a marketing ploy for the next edition or something.

It should be pretty easy to trace who mounted it.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Hi everyone. I was first notified a few months ago that someone was offering a pirate copy of my book over on the lulu site. I did try to do something about getting it removed, but didn't get any joy. I didn't pursue it any further for a while, being distracted by small matters like relocating to my new apartment. Recently, several people wrote to me again to let me know about the problem, and this time I was able to get some help sorting it out. The offending listings have now been taken down, and the people at lulu seem pretty good: very apologetic about the pirate copy, very aggressive stance against copyright violation or piracy.

According to information I have received from lulu, the person selling this pirate copy was called 'Evgeny Shaverin' and may be based in Israel. I have not taken steps to verify this information; it may not be correct; it may be the bad guy using someone else's name, like when spammers use an innocent email address as the 'from' address; it may even be a pseudonym. I'd love to find out the actual perpetrator and have a discussion with him about his motives.

Even though the lulu listings have now (at last) been removed, this is of course not the end of the problem. The person who did this went to enough time and trouble to scan my book and make it into a downloadable file. At least a few of these were downloaded from the lulu site. The perpetrator knows that since this file can be instantly copied and forwarded with a single mouse click, the file he has put out there will probably be copied many times, therefore depriving me of potential revenue. Whoever did this probably feels really smug, satisfied and clever about having done this, and is probably happy that there's nothing I can do about it.

I offer three observations about this. (1) The person who did it may be feeling smug, but I think I'd rather have my life than his. I created the book and had whatever talent was needed to write it. All he can do is copy, and cheat, and steal. I think I've got the better deal, and the nicer life. (2) The perpetrator obviously doesn't know about the law of karma. If you do bad things, bad things will happen to you. There's no escape. (3) I sometimes get asked if I could reprint 'Sense of Touch' or publish the new mentalism book that I've had ready for years. My response? First of all, someone needs to find a way to get rid of the piracy problem. Because until they do, it's just not worth it for a small operator like me to go to the time and trouble of publishing stuff, since it gets ripped off the very next day. So whoever did this isn't just hurting me (or trying to), he's hurting anyone who would like new material to be published.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
DanielSkahen
View Profile
New user
NY
64 Posts

Profile of DanielSkahen
That's really dissapointing.
- Dan Skahen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Full Facts Book of Cold Reading (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL