The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Poor start, great finish - first post (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

flnangel83
View Profile
New user
Colorado Springs, CO
8 Posts

Profile of flnangel83
Greetings,

I have spent many months reading a lot in the Café and I really enjoy everyones opinions and insight.

One topic I looked into was 'openers.' How would one open their show and capture their audience. Everyone seemed to have the same outlook of something that would capture the audience and show who you are and your personality.

But I watched 'Superstar' last night and at the end the main character performed in a talent show. It started off weak. Not bad, but not her true colors. Then it took off and ended splendidly.

My first posted question is, would that '(purposely) poor start to a great finish' concept work for a stage magic/illusion show?

Thank you.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I don't think so. I personally think you have to grab your audience and prove yourself within the first few minutes.
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
It all goes back to first impressions. Conventional wisdom says that an audience makes up their minds whether they are going to like any entertainer within the 1st few moments on stage.

My 2¢

Chris
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
But theatrical stage craft wisdom should be followed, the act/show should build right to the end. Ever increasing waves, with peaks and valleys. You can put your entire act/show together following this path.

Henning Nelms wrote a very good (and inexpensive) book on the subject.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
If you loose your audience from the beginning, you have lost them all the way.
just_larry
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of just_larry
Remember you already said the Key words-
"at the end (of the movie) the main character performed in a talent show...."
At the end-
You have already noticed love and seen the character so no mater what she does you will hope for her to do well and like her for trying.
I bet dollars to donuts in the first 2 minutes of her in the film she does something "wacky" to establish her character.

To answer your question can you start slow and then get "better"?
Yes,
but unless you are a household name, and people are paying money to just see you, no matter what the heck you are doing, you still are going to have to set them up so they can relax and go with the flow!
aquamage
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of aquamage
A lot depends on the "feel" of your show. If your show is a lot of fast-paced "glamm and glitz" then you have to start off with something along those lines that is very explosive and startling. If you are doing a classical, slower-paced show you can start slower and build. You always want to have some alterations of pace and mood to make and keep the show interesting. A big thing to note is even if you are starting "slow"...that slow still has to be good enough to engage your audience and capture their interest right off the bat. You can start slow...but NEVER start weak. Jeff McBride told me once to always remember your entrance must en-trance the audience. He was definately right.
flnangel83
View Profile
New user
Colorado Springs, CO
8 Posts

Profile of flnangel83
Great thoughts/insight/opinions/etc.

I enjoy the Café.

keep posting though if others have more to say.
Jimmagic
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Jimmagic
From what I notice from the audience, they normally remember only the opening and finale.
biff_g
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
240 Posts

Profile of biff_g
Quote:
On 2007-06-19 18:58, Jimmagic wrote:
From what I notice from the audience, they normally remember only the opening and finale.

Well I know for me personally, I remember the things that are done well or are entertaining. It doesn't matter to me where they are in the show. Although if all other things are equal, I would probably be more likely to remember the opening and the finale.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Poor start, great finish - first post (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL