The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Starting in Mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Animal Magic
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Animal Magic
Could anyone recommend any books or DVD's that would be good for someone like me who is new to magic and would like to learn about mentalism.
magically yours,
Callum.
cosermann
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
144 Posts

Profile of cosermann
Callum,

Maybe if you gave us a little better idea of where you are (magically speaking), what books you already have, etc., we can better recommend something. I'm not being a wise guy or anything. It's just difficult to make helpful suggestions without knowing where someone is coming from.
Regards,
Eric
DanielSkahen
View Profile
New user
NY
64 Posts

Profile of DanielSkahen
I agree with Eric. But a pretty standard suggestion that got me off on the right foot is 13 Steps to Mentalism. It covers a lot of broad strokes and will help you narrow down how mentalism fits for your personal performance style.
- Dan Skahen
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Corinda- 13 steps to mentalism
Anneman- Practical Mental effects
these are the two standards most mentalist start with also you might start reading the Penny for your thoughts forum here in the Café, which is the mentalism forum.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Hi Callum,

I suggest first you must have a dvd because mentalism is the hardest part of magic. You must watch first. Than of course you must read several books.

For a good start you can find ''Mentalism Teach-in series''. You can find it in Stevens Magic easilly.(www.stevensmagic.com)

I wish it will help you.

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
Richard Osterlind's dvds are awesome. It's like a mentalism university.

Anabelle
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
I second Anabelle's suggestion!
13 steps to mentalism is a great book but I also agree that some videos will make it much easier if you are just starting out.
good luck!

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
Animal Magic
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Animal Magic
Sorry for not explaining it cleary but I don't have any books or DVDs on mentalism. Thankyou all for your suggestions!
magically yours,
callum
Amade3us
View Profile
Regular user
Houston
139 Posts

Profile of Amade3us
Another vote for 13 Steps.

-Dustin
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
Check out Banachek's PSI series DVDs. They are awesome. I also second Anabelle's reccomendation of Osterlind's Mind Mysteries. I have both of these works and I am proud to have them in my collection. You will learn some powerful stuff. Also as stated, you can't go wrong with Corrinda's 13 Steps To Mentalism.
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
Animal Magic
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Animal Magic
Thanks for the sugestions I think I will start with 13 steps and build up from there.
Magically yours,
Callum
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
517 Posts

Profile of spatrick
13 steps cant be beat. Richard Osterlinds new DVD set "No Camera Tricks" is a great buy.

Mind, Myth, and Magick is costly but a great resource.

And one last one Hauntiques. It's on the bizarre side but once again chock full of useful stuff.

S. Patrick
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Since you are new to both of them I would advise you start off easy. Fulves' Self-working Mental Magic book. Easy to start videos are with a three volume set called "Video Mind" by Max Maven.

http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=6371
LauraCalder
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of LauraCalder
Hey Callum,

I've been exploring mentalism for the last 6 months and I have to say that Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism and Annemann's Practical Mental Magic are two fantastic books. 13 Steps is quite an exhaustive treatise on the entire subject.

Laura
Manny
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Manny
Buy and study Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism and Annemann's Practical Mental Magic before you go out and buy any DVD'S .
It will give you a background in mentalism and help you decide on what type of
DVD'S you want to buy.
Bosco J.
View Profile
Elite user
New York
462 Posts

Profile of Bosco J.
Richard Osterlind's EASY TO MASTER MENTAL MIRACLES 4 Vol. DVD set has some excellent classic effects of mentalism by the "old masters" (Corinda, Annemann, Koran, Hoy, etc...) performed by a modern master.

IMO, it's more beneficial for a beginner to be able to "see" a mentalism presentation performed than just read it on a printed page.

Bosco
spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
I'll say corinda's 13 steps
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
http://amagicblog.wordpress.com
Malchat
View Profile
Special user
The Kingdom of Croiset and Wonder
885 Posts

Profile of Malchat
This thread has very good suggestions.

In mentalism reading > viewing.
“You are what you pretend to be.”
Animal Magic
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Animal Magic
Thanks everyone for your other suggestions.
Mike_A
View Profile
New user
Bristol, UK
27 Posts

Profile of Mike_A
Another vote for Fulves - a simple introduction.
Also don't forget that if you already have any Tarbell volumes, there are some mental mysteries included.

Good luck,
Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Starting in Mentalism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL