The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Rick Thomas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Just to clarify things,,Rick showed me the modifications he made. His flashes finally died after ten years and he just left them out. He does use fire in his cage. He added that himself. I would not put it in a cage even for him.

As a performer, if I thought I could use fire all time (as Rick does and pays for the permits, etc.) I would not bother with the flashes. But what if suddenly, you cannot use the fire. At least with the flash, you have something to cover and add to the appearance of the dove.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Martin John
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Martin John
I use the tilford pheonix cage, it never fails to impress, it is heavy however possible to hold in one hand. I considered changing it to the smaller version however was told that it was a 'flash' production and not using fire which adds to the producion so much.
Magician Martin John
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, it does. Especially the liability. Fire is just about a thing of the past in magic unless you want to spend big bucks on fire permits. I suspect the next step will be riders on insurance policies for use of fire.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You know I work some venues that still allow smoking and they don’t allow me to use fire even flash paper! They are paranoid about the liability of their hired performer causing an accident (shades of “Great White”!). So I don’t use anything that uses flames. Gone are the lit Fantasio candles (yes even those little things). I use them unlit. Gone is the fire-eating segment of the act. Gone is the fire wallet. Gone is my flame through hanky trick I’ve been doing since the 1960’s! All gone because the venues don’t allow them! They clearly would not allow me to use the amount of flame that Rick used with that cage production! If I was to perform this I’d buy Richard’s unit with the strobe flashes! Times are changing and I try to change with them!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Harry,
thank for reaffirming what I am trying to tell these guys. Fire is out. I am not trying to sell my cage. Frankly, I am upholding the Marshall tradition (as one customer said) and am months behind.

But I am trying to save these guys from major problems when they go to do a show.

As for the Fantsio candles, I remember the SAM national in Vegas at Bally's. An earlier show used fire somewhat carelessly. We almost did not have a show the last night. About 4 or 5 of us sat and brainstormed who was in town or we could get in town that did not use fire. Even Tina Lenert was out because of flash string. Ayala was sceduled to perform. He did not as they cut the heart out of his show. We drew little cardboard "flames" that were used on candles. And that was probably about 8-10 years ago.

This is the real world.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Quote:
On 2007-06-26 11:38, Dave Scribner wrote:
That's an old clip but the birds can afford a cleaning service so they have more money than me Smile

Lance Burton's doves probably have their own banking accounts and their own spot in the limo. Heck they may as well have their own spot in the Monte Carlo Board Room.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Rick Thomas (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL