The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Alexander Conlin/John Pomoroy/Jeff Smith letter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Soapy Smith
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Soapy Smith
Regarding the usage of my name out of context in the David Charvet book Alexander, The Man Who Knows:

As many of you may already know, I have waged a front against the usage of my name out of context that reads as if I agree with the wacky theory that Conlin shot my great grandfather, Soapy Smith. David Charvet and I have talked several times and he denies that the placing of my letter in his book makes it appear that I am congratulating Pomoroy for discovering that Conlin shot Soapy. In actuality my pat on the back letter was for another reason. Those of you who know me personally know that for several years I have said I have the John Pomoroy letter in my files which showed the true reason I was congratulating John. I had a hell of a time finding it as it became "lost" inside another file. I found it recently.

In 1993 Pomoroy had duped me into believing he had computer tests done on two photographs which "proved" one of the men (in two separate photographs) was that of John Conlin. Not knowing much about computers I believed him and sent him a letter of congratulations. Pomoroy never said a word to me about any theory of his that Conlin had shot Soapy Smith. The letter below is small but the red writing is Pomoroy's and you can make out the part about having the photograph tested by computer. There is another photograph as well and you can see it and the other portions of the letter along with the envelope on my website http://www.soapysmith.net/page28.html

This may seem unimportant to some of you but to myself and my family, who have spent many decades researching the life and death of Soapy it is very important that people know the truth about this Conlin story.

Click here to view attached image.
Soapy Smith
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Soapy Smith
Hi again-
I now understand there has been a second edition of the Charvet book. Can anyone tell me if he kept my letter and the story about Alexander Conlin being the shooter of my g-grandfather in the book?
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
It's in the PR for the new edition, so I would suspect that it's also included in the new edition.

That Frank Reid may not have been the only person to shoot Soapy is accepted by quite a few folks today, but to imply that Conlin had something to do with Soapy's death is simply a fabrication and a fairy tale.

It certainly doesn't give the reader much confidence in the myriad other 'facts' presented in the book.
Soapy Smith
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Soapy Smith
Wonderfully said...Hope you don't mind that I used your quote on my website.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Alexander Conlin/John Pomoroy/Jeff Smith letter (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL