The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Clowning around » » ProFace Makeup (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Does anyone use ProFace "Clown White" makeup? I notice they have regular "Clown White" and one called "Gala Competition Clown White". I am assuming both these are greasepaint but I have not tried or even heard of them before. I use a lot of ProFace products (noses, adhesives, makeup remover, no sweat, etc.) and they are all excellent quality, but it's been a while since I have done any clowning and I was unaware of their greasepaint.

Has anyone tried either the ProFace regular or the Gala clown white makeup?

Regan
Mister Mystery
One Man
View Profile
Elite user
Frederick, MD
491 Posts

Profile of One Man
Sorry...I'm a Mehron man.

Kevin
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
Yep, used it and liked it.
KW
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Kevin,

I've always been a Mehron clown too. I've tried Ben Nye, Apples, and some other type of greasepaint but I can't recall the name. Every one I have tried has been good, but I always ended back up with Mehron.

I was surprised when I saw the ProFace clown white, and was really interested in the Gala because the description sounds as if it might be superior. However, the description I read was kind of vague, so I really don't know how or why they consider it better.

ProFace makes great products and I thought I might check out their greasepaint because it seems I have more problems with cracking and durability than I used to. I was hoping ProFace might be a solution.

Ken, could you give me some comparisons, or pros and cons about it? Did you use the regular or the Gala Competition clown white?

Thanks guys.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Patriot
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Patriot
I like ProFace and use a lot of Leon's products. Before ProFace, I used mostly Ben Nye and my face always felt "tight" when I removed the makeup. Not a bad thing as I got older, but still, this was a noticable reaction. The Gala White has a cod oil base that really leaves my face feeling clean and softer. I find that it blends easier than Nye and Mehron and does a killer job of filling in those pesky facial wrinkles and crinkles that develop along the inevitable downhill slope...without cracking.

I had an occasional issue with acne and dry skin patches around the nose and eyes with some of the other brands, I presume from the oils...I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV, so this is a broad assumption. But, these incidents have dropped dramatically to zero since switching to ProFace Gala. May be coincidence. May be old age. May be swearing off those Snickers buffets. You decide.

The Gala also has an antiperspirant built into it that makes a HUGE difference on those really hot days. The ProFace has lasted an hour or two longer under heat conditions than Ben Nye and Mehron.

Now, keep in mind that each of us has a different skin chemistry. What works great for me may not work for you. It takes experimentation to find the right combination of make-ups. But of all the brands I've tried...and I've clowned for 40+ years and tried them all including my grandad's original homemade white...I personally like ProFace the best...so far.

My two pfennigs worth...take it as you will.
SeasideShowman
View Profile
Elite user
Myrtle Beach, SC
443 Posts

Profile of SeasideShowman
Wow, thanks Patriot ... that's a great review !!

'Preciate it,
Cap'n Mike
=======================
"I didn't care if they were laughing at me or laughing with me ... as long as they were laughing" - Unknown
www.MagicAtTheBeach.org
"I'm with it"
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
Leon makes great stuff. I to used mostly Mahron back when I was clowning. Leon's whitc seems to blend much easier in the hand prior to applying it to the face. When it comes to patting in the white, it seems to end up a little more even than Mahron. I do like the smell of Mahron better. If I was to have a choice....mmmmmmm.......guess I'd stick with Mahron. BUT Leon's proknows noses are the very best and his remover is gentle to the skin.
Hope that helps.....
Magically,
Ken W.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Patriot and Ken! Patriot, you described it exactly as I was hoping. I am having similar problems with 'dry patches' and I was hoping I could find something that would work better for me. Don't get me wrong, I love Mehron, and I had no problems with it for years, but for some reason it doesn't work for me as well as it used to.

I assume it is with my skin chemistry, but I've tried all the brands I mentioned above and nothing seems to help my problem. It is only minor problem, but still it is a problem. The worst place for me is just below my mouth, between the mouth and chin. A small patch of skin tends to dry and crack quickly there.

Maybe the ProFace Gala will do the trick! It sounds as if it will be worth a try anyway,

Thanks so much!!!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Well, I ordered some ProFace Gala Competition Clown White. I hope it will help with my problems. Thanks for helping out!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Patriot
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Patriot
Keep us posted on what your opinion of the Gala clown white is!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I will try to do that Patriot. I don't clown very much anymore, but I have a gig coming up in a couple of weeks. I hope I can have the courage to try out the ProFace Gala then. I'm always scared the first time I try out a new type of greasepaint.
Mister Mystery
Patriot
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Patriot
I think you're safe with the Gala...but, just to be sure...a day or two before the event, when you're tinkering around the house, put a coat on the back of your hand, powder it, then go about your business. Not exactly the same as placing it on the face, but it will give you some idea of it's durability and covering qualities. If anyone asks, tell them you're testing a new mega sunblock for solar astronauts. Smile Better yet, tell them you shook hands with Michael Jackson...and NOW LOOK AT ME! Then check your nose to be sure its still there. Smile

I'm evil.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Evil? Maybe a little. But funny!!!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Well, I tried out the ProFace Gala Clown White yesterday. I love it! Patriot's description is right on the money!

It certainly seems to help with my problem of cracking. The worst spot I have is the crease between the chin and the lips. With the Gala, it did not crack....and I wore it for 7 hours. It was rather hot too, and the humidity was really bad because it had rained during most of the earlier part of the day.

The stuff is easy to apply, and it sets perfect. I used my Mehron Slim Pencils over it and the combination worked fine.

With the ProFace Makeup Remover it was easy enough to remove also.

All I can say is I am very happy with it. The only drawback I found was the smell. I believe someone else mentioned that also. It doesn't smell bad, but Mehron does smell better to me. However, the smell of baby powder covers everything anyway so the smell is really a non-issue for me.

Had Patriot not mentioned the built-in anti-perspirant I wouldn't have known about it, but I sure could tell it was sweat and water resistant. Seven hours on a warm, humid, July day with very little deterioration works for me! I highly recommend it! Leon has done it again!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Patriot
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Patriot
Regan, I am very happy to hear that Gala worked for you. I swear by it now. And I agree...the smell took a little getting used to, but I barely notice it now and, as you said, the powder covers it nicely. Seven hours? That is a testimonial.

If anyone has a negative experience with Gala I'd be happy to hear about it.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Patriot,

I do like it, and will probably use ProFace Gala exclusively now. As you mentioned, the smell is really the only negative about it. Well, it is more expensive, but since I am not clowning full time anymore that isn't really an issue for me either.

Thanks for your recommendation and great review! You helped influence my decision to try it out.

Regan
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Clowning around » » ProFace Makeup (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL