The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » More advice on new web page...please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mark townsend
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of mark townsend
Hi Folk,
Please - honest web site advice needed. Is the negative image too 'dark' or does it work? I love the sense of mystery it creates, but is it in any way 'sinister'?
http://www.magician.org/member/marktownsend
Mark
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Hi Mark,

To be honest with you, I think the negative image doesn't work for me. It is kind of dark...if you want to use that type of image, I would also have a regular publicity photo on that page too. That would make it work a little better IMHO.
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Hi Mark,

What look are you going for? What feeling and emotion are you trying to generate in the viewer? I don't see it as 'sinister' at all. I think you need to answer the first two questions for yourself and that will guide you to what colors and style you should use.

Just my 2 cents.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Hi Mark:

I posted the following thoughts before back-tracking fom your web site and seeing that it comes through the IBM membership site. I edited my original post with this intro, but I'll keep my post as was originally written below.

The main question I have is, "What are you trying to accomplish with your site?" It goes beyond the photo to the use of endorsements.

If the idea is to generate shows, how many of your readers will know who McBride, Burger, Knepper, et al are? Wouldn't you be better off using endorsements from names, churches, denominations, organizations or companies that are known to the average reader?

If you're looking to book yourself at a magic convention, these are great endorsements - but most of the clients that I have had in the past and will in the future have no idea who these people are. I think that for the "lay people" interested in magic, only names such as Blaine, Angel, or Copperfield carry any weight in endorsements.

In regard to the photo, the negative might be useful on another page, but I think your first impression needs to be a "positive" one that will convey who you are to some degree.

Just my 2 cents!

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
mark townsend
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of mark townsend
Many thanks guys, for sound advice.
I will take not. I'm just playing with ideas at the moment. I will (in the end) work on a much more professional site anyway. my other one is http://www.magicofsoul.com
AndyComic
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of AndyComic
Video video video. A 20 second clip will do more than 10 web pages if you want to sell yourself. Youtube and other sites are a real blessing. 5 years ago you were paying thru the nose what these site give you for FREE. Your website is fine, upload a clip to Youtube and then embed in the page.
mark townsend
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of mark townsend
Andy,
Thank you. I had not thought of that! Good advice my friend.
Mark
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Or you can upload a video to Godtube too and post it to your site. I have clips on both Godtube and youtube. Both are imebedible to your web page.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » More advice on new web page...please (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL