The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The June 2007 entrée: Chad Long » » Restaurant and Bar Work » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
In the past what was your best pitch to a Restaurant or Bar that you were interested in? Did you cold call or take Malones tips and sit at the bar and perform for patrons, hoping the manager would find interest in you?
Chad Long
View Profile
V.I.P.
229 Posts

Profile of Chad Long
Quote:
On 2007-06-29 13:25, Magicjg wrote:
In the past what was your best pitch to a Restaurant or Bar that you were interested in? Did you cold call or take Malones tips and sit at the bar and perform for patrons, hoping the manager would find interest in you?

Hi Magicjg,

Only once did I ever hope the manager would find interest in me, but man was she a hottie! Anyway, I think I only ever cold called a bar or restaurant a few times. I remember a couple being successful and most of them not so. One that worked, and this is nothing new by me, I just walked in while they were a little busy, and asked to see the manager. I told him what it was I did...and then I walked right back in and asked to see him again! Just kidding, I told him what I did and asked if I could perform for a couple tables to let him see what a great reaction it would get. I went on to tell him all the usual stuff of performing for people who are having to wait a little longer for their food, groups waiting for an open table in the lobby, and for special occasions like birthdays, etc. After hearing the couple tables I performed for just laughing and clapping for 10 minutes, the only thing he asked me was when I could start. I was there for 8 years! This was a restaurant/nightclub at a hotel on the beach, so it was a great place to try new material, meet contacts, etc, but this approach worked once more for me at another restaurant too.

All the other restaurant or bar gigs I've gotten, I was just in there with friends having a good time, doing magic for the staff, bartenders, etc., and the manager wanders over to see something and wants to hire you. I couldn't tell you all the gigs I've turned down at places where the manager has asked me if I could come in on the weekends, or come in for family night on Wednesday, or work the bar for a couple hours a night throughout the week. And all for just sitting in there doing what you like to do for a couple employees. Little did I know, that Bill Malone would invent the technique a few years later...

Oh well, I hope that helps a little. Thanks again...

Chad
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
Thanks for the reply Chad. Isn’t Malone a Genius???? Anyways...... the problem I'm having landing gigs is the distance between me and the restaurants I would like to work. I live in a small town in North Eastern Ohio. I am exactly one hour from Pittsburgh and one hour from Cleveland. I began to cold call many different restaurants having the same outcome with each. The minute anyone hears magic it's " we don’t do that here" or " our restaurant isn’t really for kids". I have tried to bill myself as someone that helps improve the flow of business at a restaurant. That seems to get a better reply. Instead of directly hanging up they at least wait until the end of my pitch. After reading your post and many others I have decided that I will have to make a list of restaurants, find out when the managers are in and make a trip in either direction. Hopefully I can find some work. Thanks again.
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
Chad, do you work in Restaurants mainly for the contacts? Do you still work in Restaurants? I don't anymore, but did it here in Hong Kong for a few years. I try to keep out of them now, as I don't want to be perceived as a restaurant magician anymore?

I go to some networking functions here and there to get business, but a lot of the time I just look for it at party or event I am hired at.

What other ways are you going about getting more work in? Are you a shameless self promoter? This is the title of a book I am reading right now...ha.

Best,

Sean
Chad Long
View Profile
V.I.P.
229 Posts

Profile of Chad Long
Quote:
On 2007-06-29 14:48, Sean Macfarlane wrote:
Chad, do you work in Restaurants mainly for the contacts? Do you still work in Restaurants? I don't anymore, but did it here in Hong Kong for a few years. I try to keep out of them now, as I don't want to be perceived as a restaurant magician anymore?

I go to some networking functions here and there to get business, but a lot of the time I just look for it at party or event I am hired at.

What other ways are you going about getting more work in? Are you a shameless self promoter? This is the title of a book I am reading right now...ha.

Best,

Sean

Hi Sean,

I don't do restaurants anymore. I have nothing against them, but I've been too busy with other stuff that I haven't worked one in years. I just can't make a commitment to one since I'm out of town so much. You mentioned making contacts at them, and that's true, you can get some great leads on parties, banquets, etc., at the right place. Right now, almost everything I get is word of mouth. Oh well, that's all for now. Take care!

Chad
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The June 2007 entrée: Chad Long » » Restaurant and Bar Work » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL