The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Stage Presence (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dark illusionist
View Profile
Loyal user
pough town new york
253 Posts

Profile of Dark illusionist
The other day I was performing for about 5 minutes at an open mic. Afterwards I passed out a note book and politely asked for people's Email addresses so I could start a mailing list. The next night I was talking to one of the musicians on the IM. He was trying to get me to travel a little bit and go to different open mics all over the state. He told me I had great stage presence and that he's never seen anybody doing the things I did.

Then all of a sudden I came up with a theory.

The more natural it is for you to be performing an effect, the better your stage presence will be while performing the effect in front of an audience.

That night I performed some spoon bending up close for him and 1 or 2 other people. And on stage I did my juggling routine and my human blockhead act. Juggling feels natural and I know what to say when doing it because I've been doing it for so long. The Blockhead act is probably the most natural thing I perform because I can recite my patter in my sleep.

I know I'm stating the obvious right now, but it's an important point to make. Don't perform something until the execution is second nature and the patter makes you sound intelligent and not like you're reading a script for the first time.

I am posting this because if everybody took the time to make themselves comfortable with their material then everybody would find their audiences enjoying their performances more.

Anybody have any ideas on what else could lead to good stage presence?

Jonathan
Check out my brand new website:

www.ovationmagic.cjb.net

if you like it sign the guest book, if you realy like it then realy sign the guest book. If you hate it then go away.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
You also must believe that you are in total control. If you don't believe that then the audience won't either, and they will walk all over you. You must fill the stage. Forget your props, routines, etc. If you can't capture the audience with YOU then no effect will. Smile
Dark illusionist
View Profile
Loyal user
pough town new york
253 Posts

Profile of Dark illusionist
That's a really good point. From my experience working at a haunted house, I have found that when an audience is more powerful than you, they will walk all over you. If you prove to them you're worth listening to and engage them, then they are more then willing to shut up and enjoy the show.

Jonathan
Check out my brand new website:

www.ovationmagic.cjb.net

if you like it sign the guest book, if you realy like it then realy sign the guest book. If you hate it then go away.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
It's mostly in your voice and posture. Train your voice to have complete confidence and a commanding quality, and people will listen to you no matter what you say. You could say, "Cardboard tastes good when you bake it," and everyone will listen intently if your voice is strong and confident. And you must stand confidently too. Shoulders back, no hunching, etc. This presence you evoke with your body, eyes, and voice should feel real to you, so practice it. Don't pretend. People know a phony when they see one. This is why it is so very important for your material to be completely "you." It frees your mind and you can better concentrate on giving your audience what they came for.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
snilsson
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
186 Posts

Profile of snilsson
I beg to differ. Some of the most commanding performers - Woody Allen, Charlie Chaplin, Tommy Cooper, to name but a few - break every single one of these "rules". Drill sergeants do have strong stage precence, but they aren't necessarily the most popular performers.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Stage Presence (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL